The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho~Bud Super Pro With "Bolt-On" Changers??
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 11:27 am    

I happened to look over this Super Pro that's currently posted on eBay and noticed that the changers are not supported in the typical factory Sho~Bud fashion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sho-Bud-Super-Pro-Double-10-Pedal-Steel-Guitar-/321620376559?fromMakeTrack=true

The changers appear to be mounted on the necks themselves (which may not be original either). I believe there are usually a pair of oval head Phillips screws showing between the pickups and the end of the fret boards on most of the aluminum neck guitars.

Someone has also installed Barcus-Berry humbuckers in the guitar, which required a larger than normal neck opening to accommodate them.

Aside from the after-market pickups, have any of you seen a Sho~Bud with changers mounted like this before?

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 11:52 am    

Lynn,
I never saw another Super Pro with the changers mounted that way. It looks like those parts are defnitely not OEM! I had one of the very first Super Pros built when I lived in Nashville. It was built by Paul Franklin Sr. and had the inlay on the necks as well as on the cabinet. It was a great guitar, especially after I had Duane Marrs replace the pot metal fingers with aluminum ones he milled for me. He also installed chrome surround BL705 pickups on the guitar. A great guitar I unfortunately traded off to Ron Lashley for a SKH Legrande.(Another great guitar). I wish I still had both of them! Sorry for wandering off the subject.

Last edited by Roy Peterman on 19 Dec 2014 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 12:18 pm    

The way the changers mount looks somewhat similar to those used on the wood wraparound necks from the Baldwin era, as on the Crossover guitars for example.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 2:17 pm    

Lynn I think the necks might not be original - I had a ali necked Super Pro in the early 80's and the pickup holes were definitely for narrow mount pickups only !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 10:13 am    

Paddy Long wrote:
Lynn I think the necks might not be original - I had a ali necked Super Pro in the early 80's and the pickup holes were definitely for narrow mount pickups only !

Yes, Paddy, it may not have original necks.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 12:15 pm    

I practically stole a GFI from the local GC at an Inventory Reduction Sale. It had Barcus-Berry pickups. They were no good! They made a run of them that were made with incompatible materials, and the parts ate each other to death! One read 60K! Got new pups from Gene, set the guitar up and traded it away for a '63 Fingertip. Hope the pups on the ebay guitar are not from that run!

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2014 6:35 pm    

John my MCI Rangexpander had those Barcus Berry pickups on it when I got it new ..I changed them out for GL E66 and 10-1 and it made a huge difference, I don't think those BB's are much good !!!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2014 1:48 pm    

The changers and the necks on that guitar are not original.

This is Super Pro #3, Serial #13125, that I modified many years ago. I welded aluminum necks to the original changer housings and they have been milled out for the midi pickups that I also had on it (shown in the 2nd pic). On the other end of the necks are Kline tuners.