The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  weird email from Bob Poole
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 9:34 am    

just got this email from Bob Poole (bobpoole53@yahoo.com)

Quote:
Good Day!

I am so sorry to bring this to your notice, I and my family came down to (Istanbul, Turkey) on a short vacation, On getting there we were seriously mugged at a gun point with bruises all over our heads..All cash and credit card and cell phones were stolen away from us. Right now we have no means of getting back home.Our return flight leaves soon, we're having financial problems sorting our hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we sort the bills.All we need now is $2,350USD We will surely refund back as soon as we are back home. kindly get back to me so that i can tell you how you can get the money wire to me.

Bob

something just doesn't seem right

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 9:53 am    

Looks like hackish Spanish Prisoner spam.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 10:01 am    

Sure, let's all chip in - what could possibly go wrong? Laughing

Gee, they were SERIOUSLY mugged at gunpoint, as opposed to being slightly mugged. Same exact thing "happened" to my sister in London, same exact thing "happened" to a guy on a car forum I'm on......actually seems to be a fairly common occurrence. The sad thing is, the fact they keep the scam going tells you SOME people actually fall for it and send money.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 10:27 am    

To the tune of the Meow Mix commercial..

Spam spam spam spam,
Spam spam spam spam,
Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam,

etcetera, etcetera..

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 10:41 am    

I replied saying I am sending the money, this is the response I got

Quote:
Am so glad you replied back, All i need is $2,350USD, You can have it wired to my name via any Western Union Outlet around you..... I'll have to show my passport as ID to pick it up here and i promise to pay you back as soon as I get back home hopefully today. Here is my info where you will wire the money to:

NAME :- Robert Poole
Address: Ebusuud Street 18 Sirkeci, Fatih, Istanbul 34210, Turkey
STATE = Istanbul
COUNTRY = Turkey

As soon as it has been done, kindly get back to me with the western union confirmation number... Let me know if you are heading to the Western Union outlet now.

Bob

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 10:51 am    

Quote:
Okay hope to read from you first thing tomorrow morning.

Bob

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:45:52 +0000
To: bobpoole53@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: From: Robert Poole

I sure will, take care and be safe old friend

To: Damir
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:43 PM
Subject: RE: From: Robert Poole

Okay kindly keep me posted and let me know the MTCN confirmation number.

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:39:01 +0000

ok, I'm shipping it tomorrow

take care my friend

To: Damir
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:30 PM
Subject: RE: From: Robert Poole

Am so glad you replied back, All i need is $2,350USD, You can have it wired to my name via any Western Union Outlet around you..... I'll have to show my passport as ID to pick it up here and i promise to pay you back as soon as I get back home hopefully today. Here is my info where you will wire the money to:

NAME :- Robert Poole
Address: Ebusuud Street 18 Sirkeci, Fatih, Istanbul 34210, Turkey
STATE = Istanbul
COUNTRY = Turkey

As soon as it has been done, kindly get back to me with the western union confirmation number... Let me know if you are heading to the Western Union outlet now.

Bob

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:20:43 +0000

sure, where do you want me to send the money to?

To:
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 10:18 AM
Subject: From: Robert Poole

Good Day!

I am so sorry to bring this to your notice, I and my family came down to (Istanbul, Turkey) on a short vacation, On getting there we were seriously mugged at a gun point with bruises all over our heads..All cash and credit card and cell phones were stolen away from us. Right now we have no means of getting back home.Our return flight leaves soon, we're having financial problems sorting our hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we sort the bills.All we need now is $2,350USD We will surely refund back as soon as we are back home. kindly get back to me so that i can tell you how you can get the money wire to me.

Bob

LOL ... what an idiot (not the real Bob, but this scammer moron)

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 11:04 am    

Damir my friend. You seem to be a repeat target of the unscrupulous and dishonest. Question Question
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 11:33 am    

I've gotten several of those, I just delete them. In fact, one time I got one from me saying I was stranded somewhere,LOL. These scammers take the cake.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 12:25 pm    

A very tired cliche of scammery. (No less devastating if the victim doesn't recognize it as such.)

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 12:27 pm    

Well Henry... Did you send yourself the money? Laughing

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 1:06 pm    

Ken Byng wrote:
Damir my friend. You seem to be a repeat target of the unscrupulous and dishonest. Question Question

yeah buddy, it seems that way, doesn't it

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 3:53 pm    

Quote:
I'll have to show my passport as ID to pick it up here

Funny they took his cash, credit cards and cell phone but somehow managed to leave him his passport! Laughing

I'd be tempted to send a message tomorrow, saying on the way to Western Union to send the money YOU were seriously mugged and they took your credit cards, cell phone and the cash you were going to wire to him. Depending on how skillful you are, maybe you can go a bit farther. Say something like you are sorry you can't help, but since he is the CEO of such a large company and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, you are sure he will come up with the money somehow, and can pay you back what was robbed from you when you tried to help him. Mr. Green

Mark Draycott

Princeton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 4:12 pm    

Here is one I received a month or so back, very unfortunate, but similar situation:

Bmwelton5@aol.com;

Turkey Misfortune (Maralee Welton)

Greetings

I Hope you get this on time, i and my family made a trip to Turkey for a Conference Meeting and am having financial difficulties here because Our bags stolen from us with Our Mobile and personal effects therein. I don't know if you can help me with $2,500USD loan, the bad news is Our flight will be leaving very soon. let me know if you can be of my help.I promise to refund you once i return back home and am sorry if i am inconveniencing you.

Hope to read back from you soon.

Maralee.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 4:44 pm    

I keep getting "invites" to LINKDON or LINKDEN(from names of forum members, many I don't recall ever contacting). I've deleted them...I do believe any of you guys/gals here, would prefer to pm, email or respond within a thread, if you had any dsire to corespond with me?

Damir, I've a buddy that attracts "psycho chicks," like you attract "scammers." Good on ya, for "writing them off!"

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 9:24 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Well Henry... Did you send yourself the money? Laughing

Yeh I did Richard, and bought me another steel. That's what I told my wife any way since I got the extra money I sent myself. Laughing

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 7:20 am    

Damir: private message sent.

(Or, do you walk around with 'like me' on the back of your t-shirt, or do Istanbulians just pick up from the global mind 'Damir! He'll help us!'
It's bound to make you wonder.
What a crazy universe!)

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 8:16 am    

This scam starts with a virus that sends stored contact data back to the instigator. The same scam used a business manager I know as the subject..and Istanbulwas the send point.

There are near identical scams on Facebook by pretend people who circulate into your friends of friends lists..friend you...strike a conversation...and then start asking for money...delivered to an Istanbul address as well in the particular instance I heard about.

There's a new twist on it too...one of my friends went outside the country on a family holiday and he must have been cyberstalked and wiretapped. The scam artists were able to mock up his voice..phoned his grandma with a voice she said was identical to his..and conned her into sending escalating quantities of money...and she was about to send $10000 as bail funds to get him out of a foreign prison...when it came to her attention he had been safely home from holidays for a few days already.