The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  suggestions for simple standalone multitrack unit?
Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 9:05 am    

Hi Y'all,

I'm looking for a simple 8-16 channel stand alone multitrack unit and would appreciate any suggestions on something easy to use. I do need to be able to capture at least 8 tracks simultaneously.

I don't want to get involved with computer interfaces, (I've been through all that stuff, and just don't have the patience or interest) I have a friend that is a Pro Tools Wizard, so all I want to do is capture clean tracks, drop off the unit or email the files and have him do all the digital magic.

Thoughts?

Rick Dennis

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 9:36 am    

I use a Zoom R-24. It's a 24 track, digital recorder that will allow you to do 8 tracks simultaneously.

It's a great piece of equipment. I use it for studio recording and it's super clean, plus it allows you to also control (add/delete) effects, pan, bounce, punch (in/out) each individual tracks.

What this thing is capable of is really amazing. Too much to even try and list.

The great thing is that you can use a thumb drive to dump everything to and then just drop off the thumb drive to your friend.

I love it and it's right at $500 new. I've had Docorder, Otari, Tascam reel-to-reel and cassette mashines and ADATs over the years, but this is simple to use and sounds as good, if not better.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/r24

If this URL (above) works, you can go to their website and read about it. Or, just do a google search for it. I know Sweetwater carries it also.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 11:02 am    

I too am a ZOOM fan, I have and use an R16 now and then, which is 16 track playback and 8 track simultaneous record. The beauty of these units is they record each track in separate WAV files to an SD card. No hard drive. Full USB connectivity as well.

If you do not need or require 8 track recording , the R8 is also a nice choice . 2 track record, 8 track playback, to an SD card .

Whatever unit you end up with make sure you know what recording file format it uses so that the files are PC compatible. SD cards over Hard Drives are also something to consider.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 2:37 pm    

Add me to the list of Zoom fans.
I use an R16 when I'm doing a recording away from home. It works great.
It's easy to transfer the tracks into a laptop or desktop computer and use a more elaborate DAW to clean up your tracks thanks to the usb on the unit.
Being able to store your tracks on a thumb drive or an SD card is also very nice.

***I almost forgot to mention...the onboard mics are very handy for when inspiration strikes.
You don't have to wait for your computer to boot up.

Rick Dennis

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 3:46 pm    

Rick, I had forgotten about the built in mics. Another Plus.

I used those mics at a school chorus event - setting the Zoom in the front row of the auditorium. The recording was amazing. The built it mics actually do a great job.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 11:12 pm    

Hi, Walter, I have three or four Tascam DA-38 machines in great shape, I used for quite a few records before going to ProTools. They are similar (in a way) to the Alesis Adat in that they record on easily available HI-8 camera tape, but MUCH more accurate and robust. Might be just what you need and I'd make you a great deal! 8 tracks of digital recording.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 7:42 am    

Sounds like a the Zoom r16 is a winner, I'm curious if there are any other units worth looking into.

Mark - I sent you a PM.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 1:01 pm    

Do keep in mind that the Zoom R16 has a small display and the menu workflow may appear a bit odd, but after a few times thru it becomes old school. .

It would be a good choice in it's price range.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 1:35 pm    

A good friend of mine bought one of these recently and has been doing live band recordings with it. No pres, just a recorder. He loves it, and the recordings I heard sounded pretty good.. definitely interesting.

Plus 16 tracks is twice as many as 8.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul13/articles/cymatic-lr16.htm

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 1:50 pm    

I'm confused about something--

--how do you use the Zoom R16 to mix down 16 tracks (with only 8 faders)? Are they 8 stereo tracks, permanently linked?

This may reveal a basic lack of understanding on my part.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 6:14 pm    

I don't think you're wrong, Jon.

I'd recommend a Fostex VF16/VF160 except they're all ten years old. You can add a Behringer ADA8000 and record and play back 16 at a time.

I would dump my tracks from mine onto a PC for mixing. Initially, I used Lightpipe but eventually I wrote* a reader for the filesystem - would pull the IDE drive from the Fostex, put it in a PC then run the program to pull the files.

*based on the Fostex FDMS3 FUSE filesystem that's freely available.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 8:56 pm    

My band has a Zoom R16 that we use for live recording. We only use 8 tracks. You can't record more than 8 at once. I'm not sure how to mix more than that, but it's easy to pull the tracks into Audacity or any other DAW on a computer for final mixing. They are WAV files on the HD card. I've mixed our R16 files in GarageBand on my Mac.

One deficiency: only 2 of the 8 inputs support phantom power. If you're using condenser mics, that can be a problem.

In my home studio I use an old Roland VS-1880. It's hard to use, but I know it pretty well. I'd like to modernize, and the Zooms look like the best bang for the buck to me.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 4:03 am    

The faders are dual function like many small workstations. A simple button allows for 1-8 or 9-16. This is very typical and common on many workstations, to share faders, especially on an under $400 new recorder.

As you record tracks you assign them to a location, stereo tracks use two locations.

Many of the over 8 track recorders have dedicated stereo pairs that count as additional tracks and you must break them apart for mono tracks. The Zoom feature is another plus, all the tracks , 16, are mono to start off with. This is a true 16 track recorder. If I recall you can set stereo pairs, should you desire, in one of the menu's.

These Zooms do not have multiple exotic frills, they have the required workflow and effects to create a very nice product .

Before I upgraded my Pro Tools workstation interface, I used the R16 to record 4 or 5 drums tracks on projects, then transferred the tracks into Pro Tools. Fact of the matter is I could have completed entire projects with the R16.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 4:21 am    

Ah. Got it.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 5:05 pm    

b0b wrote:
I'd like to modernize, and the Zooms look like the best bang for the buck to me.

There are plenty of very good interfaces to use with your computer that are in the same price range as the Zoom.

Presonus Audiobox units and Focusrite Scarlett units come to mind.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=presonus+audiobox&Go=Search

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=focusrite+scarlett&Go=Search

As far as using condenser mics with the Zoom, you could use a seperate preamp with phantom power if you need more than what's available on the Zoom.

The Zoom does work great as a field recorder, IMO.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 10:29 pm    

I don't like having to maintain a computer for recording, Rick. My computer is not in my music studio, and I use it for a lot of other things. I like having a dedicated multi-track recorder.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 2:28 am    

input tracks 5 and 6 have 48V phantom power . Inputs 7 and 8 can serve as mic inputs or mono/stereo for a keybd input. Input # 1 can serve as dynamic mic or HI Z input for guitars.

Like Bob , I had been a dedicated workstation user for decades, I just didn't see myself upgrading. But eventually as I started to seek newer workstations the first very obvious thing jumped out at me, my old tracks were not compatible with the newer units that I was interested in. I had already been down that road with Tascam, Boss and then Yamaha units. For me that was a deal killer. That alone convinced me to upgrade to a PC based DAW. I used an XP/PC which I had and turned that into a dedicated DAW machine.Nothing else on that PC. For all practical purposes, I treat it as a standalone workstation. Everything is mirrored to an external drive as well, just in case ! Before I sold the last Yamaha workstation ( AW2816) I transferred in REAL time the project tracks to the DAW, . It took a while but it was worth it in the long run.

When I acquired the R16 it was based on the ability to record in separate wav files to an SD card for very easy and compatible transfer to the DAW, plus I did not want to be without a workstation , even if I only use it once or twice a year.

The one thing that has been a proven advantage since the DAW upgrade was the ability to use different preamps and not be restricted to the workstation front end. Over time that has become the primary factor. I add preamps and front end "stuff" all the time, the DAW is constant.

By the way, the R16 can serve as a preamp as well, should you need it to. It is said it can serve as a "controller" for a DAW as well but I never dove into that pond.

thats all I got...

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 1:16 pm    

b0b wrote:
I don't like having to maintain a computer for recording, Rick. My computer is not in my music studio, and I use it for a lot of other things. I like having a dedicated multi-track recorder.

Well, that certainly works too. Smile

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 1:21 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:

It is said it can serve as a "controller" for a DAW as well but I never dove into that pond.

That's what they advertise, but I have yet to meet anyone who has ever got it to work as a DAW controller.

Doesn't matter, it's still a very good unit to record with (at a very good price).
You can always just transfer your tracks to your DAW.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 1:34 pm    

Rick Schacter wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:

It is said it can serve as a "controller" for a DAW as well but I never dove into that pond.

That's what they advertise, but I have yet to meet anyone who has ever got it to work as a DAW controller.

Doesn't matter, it's still a very good unit to record with (at a very good price).
You can always just transfer your tracks to your DAW.

If you somehow transfer your tracks to a PC ( whether or not you use them in a DAW ), you now have a snowball's chance of not losing them. If you leave them on the device, sometime between now and ten years out....

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 2:50 pm    

Les Cargill wrote:

If you somehow transfer your tracks to a PC ( whether or not you use them in a DAW ), you now have a snowball's chance of not losing them. If you leave them on the device, sometime between now and ten years out....

Yes, indeed.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 6:22 am    

the files are not actually on the workstation, they are on this little thing below....in actuality , although the unit claims it can use a 32 GIG SD card, you really don't need that much. I use a pair of 4 gigs, After I use the recorder I back up the SD card to the PC, format it and start over. As suggested, it's not really a good idea to keep your saved files hanging around on an SD card. If you're like me you will lose it !

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 9:18 am    

I do the same with my Zoom H2 portable. I record whole sets on stage. When I get home, I put the SD card in my computer, copy the files to my hard disk and erase them on the card. I've been using the same 8GB card for years.

Once the files are on the computer, I can break them up into individual songs (with Audacity) and throw out the trash (most of it isn't worth keeping).

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2015 1:27 pm    

Another plus for the R16, which I Just Got. When connected to a computer and used strictly as an a/d interface, it records at 24 bit 96khz. Connect with your favorite software and your home studio is good to go. In this regard it is truly a dual purpose field/studio recorder. There are not many a/d interfaces, let alone stand alone recorders in the R16 price range, that offer its range of features.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2015 9:10 am    

I'm glad to read this, Jim. I've got one coming---got a good open-box deal at MF. Everything that has already been said here is a good enough selling point. Your successful use as an interface (does that also mean as a DAW controller?) is very appealing. I just don't enjoy working basic DAW functions with a mouse. This would be a huge benefit.