The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  " Yesterday": A Steel Guitar Rendition
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2014 9:41 pm    

This tune needs no introduction. Sir Paul McCartney is recognised as one of the most successful composers and performers of all time. There have been reportedly over 3000 covers of "Yesterday". So here is the 3001st ....on steel guitar. This recording, though unrelated, coincides with the release last week of a brand new single by Sir Paul entitled " Hope for the Future". The Steelocaster was used for the lead, with two rhythm guitar tracks using a Crown nylon acoustic and a Stratocastor, adding to an excellent background track by Carlo Vincenzo Nicolais of Italy from the "Gli Intramontibili " Alta Marea recordings. Key of F.

https://soundcloud.com/kay-das/yesterday

Enjoy!

Kay

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 7:42 am    

Very Happy Cool Aloha Kay,
I have always been a fan of your music and have listened to about everything you have offered either on CDs or the internet. But why does it seem that you prefer a lot of reverb on about everything you record? I really enjoy reverb on a lot of the songs you have recorded but I would also like to hear some tunes without reverb. A lot of the old LPs that I have from Europe, Japan & Indonesia have lots of reverb or echo.
Was that a trend in these countries or what? I would assume it was probably just what the fans liked. Any thoughts on this?
Wally Smile

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 9:32 am    

Aloha Wally,

Many thanks for your support and comment and I will try to vary the offerings as you have suggested in future. After experimenting with many different sounds on steel, the current settings I use seem to be the most asked for in pop recordings and seem best to equate the steel guitar with other instrumental versions on normal guitar ( Hank Marvin, Jeff Beck, Larry Carlton, others). And therefore probably more likely to attract the younger generation to the steel guitar.

True, the older styles of Hawaiian music use little reverb, some none at all, and that is the "sound" associated. I use different settings with much less reverb on older Hawaiian recordings to try match that style. Listeners of modern pop recordings seem to want more.

Again, many thanks for the support through the years. Missed you at Fort Collins this year!

Kay