The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Preferred way of recording PSG to Zoom R8
John Botofte

Denmark
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2014 1:18 am    

Enjoying my new Zoom R8 to the full via amp output to keep the sweet warm tone of my Peavey NV112. But any good suggestions for PSG friendly effects?
Definitely more fun than recording to computer.

John B

https://soundcloud.com/lapsteelin1965

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2014 1:34 am    

John,

I think most people record their steel pretty clean, then add effects in post where you have full control over them. I've done that and been happy with the results. However, I've yet to find the PF effect - that would be the one that makes me sound like Paul Franklin. If you run across it, let me know.

Doug

John Botofte

Denmark
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2014 2:17 am    

Doug, do you run via amp or straight from volume pedal?
Looking forward to exploring its many effects, but really like its 1930's setting that is perfect for non-pedal sentimentalists, and different reverbs.
John

https://soundcloud.com/lapsteelin1965

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2014 10:23 am    

John, I've run through my amp, but then through the line out to the recorder. This uses the amp's EQ. I've tried mic'ing but the background noise where I was made it sound messy. Going straight eliminates that. I was very happy with how it sounded. If I remember right I tried both mic'ing and direct, recording each to different tracks, and definitely preferred the direct from the amp to my recorder.

There are far more knowledgeable people than me with this so maybe others will chime in?

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2014 11:02 am     Re: Preferred way of recording PSG to Zoom R8

John Botofte wrote:

But any good suggestions for PSG friendly effects?

Don't be afraid to experiment.
Put the mic'd amp in a different room and listen through your referance monitors. Keep adjusting your tone and mic placement until you hear what you like.
Try different mic placements, as well as combining a track with the mic'd amp with another track direct.
During mix down maybe you can experiment with amp modelers on the direct track.
See if you like the mic'd amp track mixed together with the direct/modeled track.

Try different combinations of mics too, if you have them.

Have fun with it.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2015 4:44 pm    

There have been many different set-ups for recording. I've tried line out from the amp to board in the studio and both me and the engineer liked the sound of the mic'd speaker better. I think it's the slight punch of air movement that tips the scale. If the in-home studio is picking up room ambience and noises, try throwing a quilt over the top and front of the mic'd amp.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.