The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording with an Alesis SR 18 Drum Machine....
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 10:58 pm    

I'm getting ready to attempt recording with an Alesis SR 18 Drum Machine. I was wondering if any of you have done this yet? I was thinking about coming out of the left line out of the SR 18 and going into a Presonus interface. I thought I'd give the bass drum its own track and the snare and hi hat their own track. Opinions, suggestions, advice?

Robbie

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 3:16 am    

I've got an SR18 (and SR16). I use it in my recording studio, but have never split the bass and the drums (didn't know that can be done). I rarely use the bass as it does not follow the correct chord structure of a song. I suppose if you did a user program it would be different.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 4:54 pm    

Robbie,

What type of Presonus interface are you using?
Which DAW are you planning to record with?

You might find this interesting.
Here is how you can have all of your drums on separate tracks:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TjZS61Wg-XY

If you're using a copy of Studio One which likely came with your Presonus interface, this video might be helpful to you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp9Y9ZspzdE

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 9:34 pm    

Thanks guys. Hey Jack, I'll be using the SR 18 for drums only. I haven't heard too many good things about the bass in the unit. That's fine. I had the SR 16 years ago and really liked the drum sounds in that one. How does the SR 18 compare to it?

Robbie

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2014 3:26 am    

Robbie, I use them both but to be truthful my most used drum program is the SR-16 31A. When I set up for recording sessions I have both of them hooked up to my recording interface unit and select which one to use based on the song. My recording interface unit is a Roland Studio-Capture that has 12 mic preamps (channels) so I have enough inputs to allow hooking both up.

I have a 3/4 (Waltz) program in my SR-16 (user memory) but I've used the one in the SR-18 lately.

Most of what I've done with the SR-18 has been some recording with ex road drummer (Ferlin Husky's band) and Nashville songwriter and producer, Jimmy Peppers. We've experimented with "off the wall" rhythms with and without the bass line for some of his original songs.

I have a local musician friend that uses a drum machine in his shows. He's been using an SR-16 but after he heard my SR-18 he bought one and has started using it, along with the SR-16 in his shows.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2014 1:49 pm    

Thanks for the info Jack..Appreciate it..

Robbie