The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Intro's
Alvin Douglas

Prince Edward Island
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 9:47 am    

I play lead guitar in a classic country group. We have spent countless hours trying to open each of about 50 songs with a lead guitar intro. So I have several jobs to do. First, I need to remember the tempo and second, I need to remember the last line of the song and use it for the intro. The biggest problem is that I cannot remember the intro's with any consistency. Some days they are there and some days they are not. We are working on "Excuse Me" by Yokum. I noticed that the intro is a simple 1-5-1 turn around. Easy to count the band in with 1,2,3,4,1,2. Two pickup notes and the band is in on the next 1 beat. Would it ever make life easier if I started using simple intro's. I have about 4 generic endings that seem to keep everybody happy. Maybe a couple of turn around intro's will work. Admittedly, I'm doing this on a tele but intend to use my PSG more as my skills come up. I suspect the issue is the same for both instruments. Would really like to hear from some of you lead players who count the band in and play the intro. Maybe there are some tricks to it that I am missing.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 8:19 pm     Intro's

Alvin, Intros are a thing you are gonna have to learn by rote. On Excuse Me, Dwight is doing it at about 155 BPM, so your count to the band would be 3 4 1 2 at that tempo, using 2 pick up notes. In the YouTUbe version there is a 5 note run into a 5511 intro. That would be counted 4 1 2 3 , the first note being on the "and" of 3. It takes perseverance and repetion with a good backing track or metronome. I prefer the backing track method as it duplicates what the band should be doing and gives you good experience that you sometimes can't get in band situations, cause the track never changes......This is a great place to ask these kind of questions as there are some of the best musicians on the planet available

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 7:36 am    

Alvin, I think you are already dead on with what you should be doing. Most all commercial players I know, lead guitarists, fiddle, steel, piano etc all count off and do just about what you described. Some bands I've worked with like to have the drummer do all the work, which doesn't matter to me either way As long as the drummer will give the proper counts or clicks. I've worked with players who don't understand the 1 or 2 beat pickups to the intros but usually get with the program after a song or two.

And then the occasional Jack &$$ who insists on starting every song out cold. But, I long since "quit" taking jobs with "mediocre" players - it is too frustrating

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 8:52 am    

Alvin - "Excuse Me" was written and performed by Buck Owens. The melody is an old song called "Little Rosewood Casket". As far as intros go, it's been a steel player's job since Bob Wills said "Take it away, Leon". It is pretty standard to use the last 4 or 8 bars of a song as an intro. I quit a country band in 2000, and the leader said to me (we're still friends)"We're having a hard time getting a song going since you left". And so it goes.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8