The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin plays at Dallas Cowboys game
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 4:54 pm    

News that Lee Ann Womack has added Paul Franklin to her performance of the National Anthem on Thanksgiving Day at the Dallas Cowboys Game. Fantastic. Thanks to Lee Ann.
http://kticradio.com/abc_music-co/lee-ann-womack-adds-steel-guitar-to-thanksgiving-day-performance-of-national-anthem-abcid35118497/

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 4:58 pm    

That sux's. I like Randy's picking!

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 9:11 pm    

I, for one, think it is a wonderful thing, for Lee Ann, for Paul, for country music, and for the Pedal Steel Guitar. I will be listening and watching on the edge of my seat.

Paul, you are a still-creating, living legend, and I'm very happy you have this opportunity. Well earned.

Sincerely,

David Spires

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 3:30 am    

I agree David !

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 5:14 am    

I watch very little football but will plan on watching the National Anthem.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 9:03 am    

We need all the exposure we can get! Very Happy

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 9:14 am    

why?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 12:02 pm    

You know you can Die from exposure..ha....just kidding Erv. I agree in the fact that it would be great when folks walk up; they know the proper name of the instrument....but for this instrument to be heard MORE; it would have to be MORE in mainstream music and it's NOT.
As far as Paul playing along side of Lee Ann....that is unbelievable AWESOME.....too cool for school man.
(But yes Randy has done ALL the battle grounds with her...she should respect the man that travels All over the world to play her music..and therefore out of respect; have HIM play on her Recorded music)....but since Paul played on her current and she likes it so much she wants to flourish from his; I mean flourish is popularity.....than way cool on that....
Ricky

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 12:44 pm    

I don't think it "sux". I would like to have seen her use her own band, Randy is remarkable, but how can having Paul play make it suck?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 12:56 pm    

Quote:
(But yes Randy has done ALL the battle grounds with her...she should respect the man that travels All over the world to play her music..and therefore out of respect; have HIM play on her Recorded music)....

...and this gig as well. Nobody in attendance is going to know the difference between Randy or Paul so why she opted for Paul is a mystery to me, especially since Randy is perfectly capable of doing this gig. RHIP I guess..

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 1:05 pm    

I had total confidence that the SGF would explain to me why this was a bad thing.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 1:10 pm    

Not bad, Jon, just odd. Neutral

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 1:12 pm    

Randy as in Randy Beavers? I know that he was her band/road steel man. As good as they come. But maybe he had some reason he could not do it or was it just her wanting Paul. I think that shows disrespect on her part. If he can live on the road and travel around the world with her I think he deserves that national spotlight. Just my thoughts, J.R.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 2:19 pm    

I don't get the disrespect thing...I absolutely adore Randy, both as a player and a human being, and he is surely deserving...but doesn't the respect thing work both ways? Paul helped craft the records that put her in a position to hire a band and work the shows. Wouldn't it be equally disrespectful to not use his talents for an opportunity like this?

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 2:26 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
I had total confidence that the SGF would explain to me why this was a bad thing.

Yeah, really! The whole "Randy is being disrespected" thing - I guess the speculation makes for good forum fodder and gives legs to the topic, but who the heck here knows what the situation is with this deal?

Apparently, no one.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 3:00 pm    

Now, my question is: Is she using other members of the team that works on her records? That could be why Paul is playing. Probably the decision of the half time director, and not necessarily Leann's decision.

Either way, it will be great, and life will go on as usual after the performance.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 3:03 pm    

Not sure, but it sounds like it may be a duet...

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 3:30 pm    

Quote:
Paul helped craft the records that put her in a position to hire a band and work the shows.

John, what is your definition of craft? Paul was one of many sideman who merely played on her records. Wouldn't credit for "craft the record" belong to the (respective) producer?

Quote:
Yeah, really! The whole "Randy is being disrespected" thing - I guess the speculation makes for good forum fodder and gives legs to the topic, but who the heck here knows what the situation is with this deal?

Apparently, no one.

That's right, Mark. All the opinions here are subjective because none of us knows what the circumstances are.

Quote:
Not sure, but it sounds like it may be a duet...

John, I'm not sure if you know something the rest of us don't know, but if you mean a Randy and Paul duet I'm all for it!

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 5:25 pm    

Leave it to SGF members to take a negative view on one of the biggest opportunities of a musician's career. 100,000+ people in the stands plus millions at home seeing our instrument's best steward with one of the best singers on the planet seems like an all-around win from this corner.

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
Paul helped craft the records that put her in a position to hire a band and work the shows.

John, what is your definition of craft? Paul was one of many sideman who merely played on her records. Wouldn't credit for "craft the record" belong to the (respective) producer?

When you consider that PF has played on ALL of Lee Ann Womack's records over a nearly 20-year span (minus the LA-produced record and maybe a track here and there), it's obvious he is an integral musician who helped craft her entire sound. Why not ask him to be part of her original take on our nation's anthem?

John Macy hit the nail on the head.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 5:30 pm    

And yes, the producer gets the credit, but any great producer knows what a team of great musicians have in the role of crafting a record...and it doesn't get any better than the Nashville guys...if you ever get a chance to work with or observe them, it becomes crystal clear what a hand they have in giving the record it's final shape...

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 5:41 pm    

Easy now... down girls.

Fact: A little over 2 years ago Lee Ann split with MCA Nashville. At that time she decided to work out the dates under contract and shut it down. I haven't worked a job with her in over 2 years. What little she has done has been with very limited instrumentation, mostly just acoustic. Who knows what she'll do in the future?

I for one think this is a hugh event that can only benefit steel guitar as a whole! I have nothing be respect for Paul as a person, as well as a musician. He is deserving of this honor.

Randy

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 7:50 pm    

I agree with John Macy about producers and their musicians of choice.
and of course Randy B. says it all right there.

The carping and whining was rather unbecoming... IMHO.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 8:12 pm    

It is a great thing for country music and steel guitar.. Two great and talented artist! Whats to grip about! Wow!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 9:51 pm    

I'm a huge fan of Paul's work on Lee Ann's records, so I think it'll be awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 3:34 am    

I'm glad Randy set the record straight.

There are many super road band pickers that never get into the studio. The "A Team" or other studio pickers are used on recording sessions. Been that way for years.