The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  diminished and augmented
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 2:14 pm    

I know that using the number system

1 4 5 are major chords
2 3 6 are minor chords

but which numbers would be diminished or augumented?Can someone help me please.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 2:38 pm    

I just write aug or dim

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 2:45 pm    

. . .or write a zero as a superscript for diminished; a plus for augmented, both to the right of the chord's number.

Chris

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 2:54 pm     Re: diminished and augmented

Brian Henry wrote:
I know that using the number system

1 4 5 are major chords
2 3 6 are minor chords

but which numbers would be diminished or augumented?Can someone help me please.

7 is a diminished chord

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 3:01 pm    

thank you Earnest which number would be the augmented

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 3:14 pm    

7 is a diminished but not the diminished. Any number chord can be aug or dim with a + or o . 7 is diminished already without alteration.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 3:19 pm    

There is no augmented triad in the major scale (meaning, in the key of C, white keys on the piano).
"Augmented" usually means "augmented fifth", i.e. major triad with the fifth raised a half step. You could raise the fifth on any major triad, for example the major triads based on 1,4, or 5 that you mentioned. I supposed 5 would be the most common. But you have to use an accidental (a note that isn't in the major scale) to play it.
There are plenty of ways to play augmented triads on pedal steel, depending on your setup.

Marty Forrer

New Zealand
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 3:26 pm    

Augmented just means a raised 5th note, diminished is not as common as half-diminished, which is often written as min7b5

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 5:13 pm    

Just play strings 8, 6 and 4 with no pedals and use your LKL to raise the E to F Laughing

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 9:14 pm    

John Booth wrote:
Just play strings 8, 6 and 4 with no pedals and use your LKL to raise the E to F Laughing

That gives you a diminished chord. You can get an augmented by raising the E strings and stepping on the A and B pedals.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 6:09 am    

For example, a G augmented could be: 2ABF, 6ABF, 10ABF, and 14ABF.

A G diminished could be: 2F, 5F, 8F, 11F, and 14F.

This would be using the "standard" grips of 3-4-5, 4-5-6, 5-6-8, 6-8-10.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. As shown above, augmented chords repeat themselves every four frets, so per the example above, if you have a G augmented on 2, then four frets up, you have another and so on.

2. Diminished chords repeat every three frets, so if you find a G diminished on 2, then the next would be 5, 8, 11, and so on.

You can go up or down the neck with that same format. Some folks will throw in the 9th string on the diminished, some don't. It's a matter of taste or habit I guess.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 9:17 am    

A diminished chord has the 3 and 5 notes flatted a half step with a 6 note on top (C E G B to C Eb Gb A), while an augmented chord raises the 5 note a half step (C E G to C E Ab [or G#, if you wish]). A half diminished chord (or major 7 flat 5) has only the 3 and 5 notes flatted (C Eb Gb B).
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 9:39 am    

OK, I think I read this wrong the first time, maybe this is what Brian is asking:

In a C major scale chord sequence:
C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G Major, A minor, and B diminished.

In a C minor natural:

C minor, D diminished, Eb major, F minor, G minor, Ab major, Bb major.

In a C harmonic minor:

C minor, D diminished, Eb augmented, F minor, G major, Ab major, B diminished.

In a C melodic minor:

C minor, D minor, Eb Augmented, F major, G major, A diminished, B diminished.

The augmented chord is not found in the major scale but in the harmonic and melodic minor scales where it would be a 3 chord. I think I got that right, but knowing me, I stand to be corrected and probably will be, lol.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 10:58 am    

Using "the number system"--I assume the OP is referring to what's called the "Nashville number system"--as I understand it, the numbers are by definition based on major scale degrees. They would be given flats or sharps for any chord not based on a major scale degree of the given key root.

While the 7 triad in that major-scale-based system is a diminished, it's rare that anyone will ever write that, as sonically it has the effect of a seventh chord on the 5, since, though it doesn't contain the 5 root, it contains the third and seventh of that chord, which strongly constitute the flavor of a 5 seventh.
(Wish there was a way to type a superscript 7 in the Forum.)

Diminished and augmented chords are for practical purposes either passing or altered chords, i.e. chords not "in" the key.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 2:48 pm    

Not to be contentious, Jack, but a half-diminshed chord is generally agreed to be a minor 7 flat 5, spelled R, b3, b5, b7 (relative to the major scale). The full diminished seventh is spelled R, b3, b5, bb7 (same as the 6th scale degree).

They are often used interchangeably, or as a diminished triad (R, b3,b5) when used as a movement or passing chord, often in place of a 7th. IE; I-IV or V-I progressions can become I-I7-IV, I-I Aug.-IV or I-I#dim.- IV, and likewise V-V7-I, V- V aug-I, or V-V#dim.- I (Both movements of a forth)

In regards to the original question, As Earnest says there is no naturally occurring augmented chord in the harmonized scale built from the major (key) scale you are referencing, and no full diminished chord, but rather the half-diminshed or minor 7 b5 chord built on the seventh scale degree. While that one (the 7 mb5 chord) is a direct substitute for the 57 as mentioned, I think in most common chord progressions you would see the chords notated by their position outside of the harmonized scale, IE; I-I# dim, I- I aug. etc.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 4:01 pm    

Piston's Harmony book:

The little "o" after V in Ex. 329 means the root is omitted. Only a few years ago did I make the connection with pop music notation which uses a little o to mean diminished (triad but more often 7th).

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 8:15 pm    

Great post, E. "By far the commonest... the incomplete dominant ninth= the diminished seventh..." Bwaa. I love theory. So funny to me how I've done a "180" from my earlier days when "theory" was just irritating math. And now I see it as a roadmap to discovery, understanding, and progress.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to threads like this!

Charles Kurck

Living in Arkansas but Heaven is home
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 5:43 am     Chord Building

Here’s my chord layout chart.

Here are a couple of chord finding sites.

Find the chord notes:
http://www.logue.net/chords/C.htm

Find the chord name:
http://www.scales-chords.com/chordid.php

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 12:09 pm    

I find Walter Piston a little confusing, or at least at odds with common practice, when he refers to the dominant ninth chord with the flattened ninth (Ab) as "minor". I can see why he does, but by "G minor ninth" I think most people would understand the B being flat, not the A.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 2:14 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
I find Walter Piston a little confusing, or at least at odds with common practice, when he refers to the dominant ninth chord with the flattened ninth (Ab) as "minor". I can see why he does, but by "G minor ninth" I think most people would understand the B being flat, not the A.

Yes, that refers to the interval between the root and the ninth tone, not the intervals in the entire chord.

No question about it; the vocabulary is different in serious music vs pop music. That and a lot of other things bothered me about Piston too, since I read Piston after I had already worked out my own concepts of harmony thru pop music and noodling around at home. Piston didn't seem relevant to harmony in pop music, and I thought he "didn't get it". But I changed my mind, and now I see that Piston's approach is more universal, and encompasses all of pop music as well. (In the age of hip-hop, I should probably qualify that statement to mean only the part of pop music that uses functional harmony.)

I think one reason for the different vocabulary that the two ways serve different purposes. One is for analysis, while the other is for real-time reading.

In pop music we need names for chords that are easy to sight-read for a guitar player. In contrast, the harmonic analysis that Piston and composers use is more concerned with the function of each chord _within a key_. If you are sight reading a piece in a pop music band on stage, you don't care about that! As long as you're not improvising, you just need to know what notes to play in the chord, and if you see Gm9 you know it is G Bb D F A. (D is probably optional. As Piston says about the dominant version, meaning the version with B natural, the function of the chord is "sufficiently stong whether or not the actual fifth degree is present"). Piston's harmonic analysis is not meant for sight reading on the band stand. It is more for the composer and student in the comfort and safety of the music sanctuary. So for Piston, the intervals in (for example) a seventh chord depend on whether the root is I II III IV V VI VII, etc., as well as whether a note has been altered. The pop musician just needs to know the note name of the root, and whether the 3rd is major or minor or maybe sus2 or sus4, and whether the 7th is major, minor, or dim, maybe -5 or +5. When you start to improvise, of course, you must know the key and the function of each chord within the progression and with the key.

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 3:06 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Using "the number system"--I assume the OP is referring to what's called the "Nashville number system"--as I understand it, the numbers are by definition based on major scale degrees. They would be given flats or sharps for any chord not based on a major scale degree of the given key root.

While the 7 triad in that major-scale-based system is a diminished, it's rare that anyone will ever write that, as sonically it has the effect of a seventh chord on the 5, since, though it doesn't contain the 5 root, it contains the third and seventh of that chord, which strongly constitute the flavor of a 5 seventh.
(Wish there was a way to type a superscript 7 in the Forum.)

Diminished and augmented chords are for practical purposes either passing or altered chords, i.e. chords not "in" the key.

+1

Diminished chords are not in the key. They are passing chords "in between" other chords.

EX: Friends in Low Places- Intro
1 #1dim 2- 5
A A#dim Bmi E

Augmented chords are usually embellishments (or alterations, technically) of the 5 chord

EX: Opening chord of Wasted Days & Wasted Nights

Sometimes you'll encounter the 1 chord being altered like in Glen Campbell's last song "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" (what a heart wrenching tune)
the chords are:
G G+ G6
1 1+ 16

This is creating movement inside the chord.

Did that help or did I just make that as clear as mud?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 3:13 pm    

Quote:
G G+ G6
1 1+ 16

This is creating movement inside the chord.

And this climb is great if you are taking the movement up to the dom 7th.

G G+ G6 Gdom7 then move to a 4 chord (C in this case).

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 7:02 pm    

Charle's chart is excellent. everyone u have that for practicing.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 3:09 am    

Earnest - thanks for putting all that in perspective so well. Walter Piston is respected as much in my country as in yours, but it is a matter of ivory tower vs. bandstand.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2014 7:07 am    

I think Brian's question as posed is a good one.

And I think there's been some good answers. I'd like to chime in to answer Brian's question.

The major I, IV and V chords and minor ii, iii and vi chords and diminished vii chord in any given key are the 3 note chords that occur when stacking 2 notes above the root notes that occur when making a major scale in any given key. These other two notes above the root will be in the next 2 similar position on the staff above the root of either line-line-line or space-space-space when stacked. Each note is a 3rd above the other in that it's the 3rd next position on the staff.

To follow this pattern up the major scale give you the Major, Minor and 1 naturally occurring diminished chord in any major key.

The reason for the difference in major, minor and diminished occurring in this pattern are the naturally occurring half steps in the major scale between the 3rd and 4th steps and also the 7th and 8th steps, or in C major scale for example, between E and F and also between B and C.

I always remind myself that music theory was studied and written to explain and make into written and spoken language, information about playing music. The harmonies used were played first as dictated by what was desired to be heard by our ears, then the theory of what it written to help explain it. It's not really a rule I suppose.

The short answer is that any scale degree can be used to form a diminished or augmented chord, but generally (as Mark listed above), certain chords within a key are best diminished and certain chords within a key are best augmented as dictated by our ears that detect the movement of music. Other than at the 7th scale degree, these dims and augs do not occur naturally in the major scale when stacking 3rds.

Fun stuff, fellows. I've been thinking of asking Santa for the Walter Piston book this year.