The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bouncing or jumping the steel bar
Jason Bergeron

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 6:03 pm    

I have a question about a technique that my deceased father used when playing pedal steel. He bounced or jumped the bar while playing certain strings, and sometimes raised the bar off of strings, then placed the bar back down. Every time I try this, it sounds horrible.

Is there any way to post a video on this post so that y'all can see what I'm talking about?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 6:17 pm    

You need to post the video somewhere, like YouTube and post the link.

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 6:51 pm     Tone bar use

Jason if you go to the Howcast. com site and search pedal steel guitar. You will see several videos . The one that shows tone bar....will have some of the technique you mentioned and some other techniques too. You can just google "pedal steel guitar" and that web site should come up. There are several videos and are informative.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 10:18 pm    

I'd recommend both in person lessons and maybe watching videos of Raising the Dickens and Remington Ride.
Perhaps getting a Stevens style bar to learn on. It's one of those skills that, once you get it, you'll you'll wonder what the problem was.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 10:30 pm    

Here's a video I made a while back that features lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSh4fP4TklU&t=0m37s

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 5:23 am    

Doug, Nice example! While listening to your version of I'll Fly Away I couldn't help but recall all the hammer-ons and pull-offs that were sprinkled through out many of Jimmie Crawford's recordings. I first noticed it in your rendition of Ghost Riders In The Sky. Good stuff!

Jason Bergeron

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 6:53 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Here's a video I made a while back that features lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSh4fP4TklU&t=0m37s

Awesome video! How do you do that? I try and it literally sounds like the bar is bouncing on top of the strings....not pleasant at all!

Last edited by Jason Bergeron on 19 Nov 2014 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Jason Bergeron

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 8:26 am     Video clip

Here is a clip of my father:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8DSY0IL3M0&feature=youtu.be

He is using the technique throughout, but the part that he tried to get me to learn starts at the 15 second mark. Any idea what he is doing and what strings he's using?

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 8:28 am    

I think I remember seeing Junior Brown lifting the bar and putting it back down on live videos of his song "I Hung It Up". There's a part in the song where he does this move very fast several times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 8:30 am    

Thanks, I took five days of lessons with Jimmie Crawford in 1983. There were only three of us "students" there with Jimmie for the entire week. He taught in his home, and one day he had a session so John Hughey came in for the entire day. That was an amazing day. I got to hang out and pick with John Hughey all day. Jimmie also showed us the prototype for their new JCH (Crawford-Hughey) pedal steel guitar. Great memories.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 10:33 am    

Very nice Doug! Jason that's a nice looking Pro II Very Happy

Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 11:11 am     Re: Video clip

Doug, that is a really inspiring video. Thank you.

Jason Bergeron wrote:
Any idea what he is doing and what strings he's using?

It looks like he is mainly alternating between frets 1 & 3, which seems to be where most hammer-on/pull-off technique seems to (or can) happen.

I'm a fairly new player, and have just started using some of this technique - these are just my observations. It takes confidence with the left hand. Start with just half of the movement - pluck, bar down, pluck, bar up.

This other video by Doug gives some good closeup shots that could be helpful for woodshedding (I know I'll be using it) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WG7qSLYOtU

I feel like blocking/muting/plucking the strings at the right moment is important when going for these sounds as well.

Here's a fun free lesson, YMMV: http://www.steelguitarmojo.com/hammeronpulloffs.shtml

Jason Bergeron

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 11:12 am    

Kevin Mincke wrote:
Very nice Doug! Jason that's a nice looking Pro II Very Happy

Thanks! I loved the sound. Dad traded that one for a Super Pro because it's lighter.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 11:13 am    

I have been beat about the ears by Alan Akaka for lifting the bar (although there are hammer-on's in early Hawaiian steel songs like "Kohala March"). On the other hand, hammer-on's are a crucial part of Cajun steel. I learned Buddy Emmons' version of "Steel Guitar Rag" which features a hammer-on trill on the end of Part A (before the bridge). It is tough not to get a noise when I put the bar back down on the strings without blocking.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Jason Bergeron

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 12:02 pm     Re: Video clip

Aaron Jennings wrote:
It looks like he is mainly alternating between frets 1 & 3, which seems to be where most hammer-on/pull-off technique seems to (or can) happen.

I'm a fairly new player, and have just started using some of this technique - these are just my observations. It takes confidence with the left hand. Start with just half of the movement - pluck, bar down, pluck, bar up.

I feel like blocking/muting/plucking the strings at the right moment is important when going for these sounds as well.

Any idea what strings my father was using? Does it matter? Does only the tip of the bar have to be used?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 12:09 pm    

Using only the tip will get you a cleaner tone.