The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Letterman/Fessenden/Terry Crisp
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 8:25 am    

chris ivey wrote:
when i do it i just pull the cord out of the steel and stick it in the lapsteel. everything else stays in line...the effects, volume pedal, etc.

Chris, doesn't that make a pretty loud and ugly "pop" when you do that?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 8:40 am    

Maybe he just does it for the attention.. Laughing

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 8:47 am    

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 8:50 am    

Yes, Joachim, that would do it. I guess, in my case, I'm rarely close enough to my amp to do that without getting up from my packaseat and turning my back to the audience, which is equally distracting (and slow). But of course it could work for others.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 8:52 am    

Volume pedal Very Happy

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 9:11 am    

olli wins!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 9:13 am    

That's true, he does. Smile

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 10:39 am    

getting back to the thread...

Roger Francis wrote:
I agree with Tommy W., i realy like CY, he's more country than most of the new artist today on radio, and he has a great steel player with him, what more could you ask for?

...better songs and less phony country twang voice!!!

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 11:10 am    

Well i guess thats what makes the world go around, we all like differnt things. Im just glad letterman knows us country folks are stiill around! And having a steel guitar on there is another plus.
Ide love to see Gene Watson and Rhonda Vincent on there with Mike Johnson some time, man what vocals and steel playing!

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 11:51 am    

What more could you ask for? How about real country music. Not some fake a$$ cheapo rock band using a steel guitar as a prop. Give me Texas.Where's my Haggard CD? Ricky Van Shelton could them all under the table. They couldn't carry his microphone. Same with Mandy Barnett. What a waste of a good instrument.

Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 17 Nov 2014 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 12:16 pm    

I think who you like and who you dont like is a whole nother thread!
But MPO i liked the video, wish i could play a slide with dist like that, it would make me a better MUSICAN, Terry did a great job on that song. Im as country as they come but i like all kinds of music as long as its tastefull and this shows how tastefull a steel player can be when it comes to playing music. Just saying

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 12:24 pm    

Yeah, NOT playing the steel but having it on stage is real tasteful. It's fake is what it is. That kid needs to call up Jerry Fessenden and apologize to him. Maybe he just dreamt he was country.

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 12:33 pm    

Maybe you just need to listen to his albums, full of steel guitar, NEON is one off the top of my head

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 12:44 pm    

Maybe he needs to listen to George Jones. Maybe then he could out a pedal steel guitar on stage and let the player play it instead of using it as a prop and apologizing for pretending to be country.

Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 17 Nov 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 12:55 pm    

The topic was/is, Letterman/Fessenden/Terry Crisp.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 1:14 pm    

Excuse me but I'm just now watching Gary Carter actually playing a real steel guitar with a real country band on the Marty Stuart Show. See ya later.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 2:34 pm    

Still drifting..

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 3:04 pm    

Quote:
what more could you ask for?

A song that's about something? Laughing Laughing Laughing

oh sorry, wrong century

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 9:40 pm    

To drift back towards the topic.
As someone stated. The artist are asked to prepare 2 songs. Most likely the pedal steel would have been needed for the 2nd tune. I'd be very surprised if Terry even touched any of his gear other than to tune it. So no sweat for him. I thought he sounded great as he always does. Played what the tune needed, and was really out front in the mix.
No Chris Young is no George Jones. But as Tommy White stated. It would be great if all the young artist liked steel enough to hire the mature super steelers. The bad news. It ain't going to happen.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 9:26 am    

That look on Terrys face in the second pic is priceless LOL. Chris Young is todays country.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 11:23 am    

It's entirely possible that they played a second song only seen by the studio audience, as recently happened on Letterman when Jackson Browne with Greg Leisz, etc. played Take It Easy/Our Lady of the Well but it wasn't shown on the broadcast, a song from his new album was featured - which is obviously the point of being there to begin with.

But Letterman and/or his people apparently liked Easy/Lady so much that they thought it would be a good idea to put up the video for our enjoyment.

Pure speculation on my part, but If Chris Young did play a second song, perhaps Terry played the pedal steel on that one? But he wouldn't go for a comeback when Dave made his comment at the end of the broadcast song, it's not your job as the steel player to make a retort to the host and ruin his schtick - a veteran like Terry Crisp obviously would know the drill.

Surely many of us have watched Letterman over the years and when they return from commercial break as the music ends, he will point out some big dog player sitting in with the band and previously you didn't even know he was on stage, I saw one awhile back where John Mayer was sitting in. In other words, there's apparently quite a bit of music going on during the taping that we never see on the actual broadcast.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 10:15 pm    

Chris Ivey. Wow, I thought Terry played great lap steel. good tone, great intonation and in the pocket. On top of that he's out there doing it. Just as a matter of my personal opinion, if I was to pick my top five of the current great players in the steel world, Terry Crisp and Tommy White would hold two of the positions.
I'm glad Chris Young has the sense to grab a great player like Terry. I just wish that he was a bigger artist so that Terry could get what he deserved financially.

BB

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 3:56 am    

Maybe he set his steel up because unless you David Linley or Ben Harper you tend to look like a dork sitting there playing lap steel...Smile
I thought TC sounded great and played exactly what fit. Glad to see he's out there with a gig.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 9:27 am    

I don't know if I agree with that Jack - David Lindley, with his collection of polyester attire that looks like it was accumulated over the years from Goodwill stores seems to almost go out of his way to look like a dork (but we of course know he isn't). Smile

Can't say I was real hot on the song and Chris Young's vocals, but I thought Terry's playing was very good and it really helped carry that number.

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 10:32 am     letterman

Well here is another thing actually having the steel...don't know if anyone will like the vocal,,,but ...oh well . JF https://l.facebook.com/l/JAQEaHlWlAQHKZtplTtNVxKzrbR8dDeJlc0t4tjTRbeeJDg/https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpfKA2zFq_aA"