The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I just ordered an Airline Lap Steel
Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 2:43 pm    

I started on Dobro in G tuning. Then I got a lap steel and played in E. In the last couple of years since I got serious about steel, I got an old Harmony acoustic, but a raised nut on it and tuned it to D. Since the HSGA meetup, I've been working with a C^ lap steel.

I think E is easy since it's easy to relate to standard guitar. I like it for blues and rock stuff.

Open D fits the acoustic as it lets me get some lower notes when playing songs in Dm like spooky Appalachian ballads.

C6 is making me learn Hawaiian and C&W stuff. Patsy Cline's "Walking After Midnight" just fell out of the guitar one day when I was messing around.

Each tuning has a place and a sound. I think E or D is a good place to start. You'll get results fast and if you've played guitar before, you'll be able to relate. I'm falling in love with C6. It's such a classic sound. But who knows? Maybe next year I'll discover something else that mixes everything I've learned together on one steel. Mess around. Maybe buy a set of strings for E and one for C6 and give 'em each a test drive. Your ears will tell you which direction you want to go.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 12:22 pm    

If I could only have one lap steel with one lap tuning, it would be C6.