The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A little help with the Franklin Pedal Please
John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 7:38 am    

Guys,
On my Sierra Crown 12 string Extended E9 (Emmons setup)I want to install the Franklin pedal in position 0 (left of the A pedal)

Can y'all verify that this pedal is supposed to lower strings 5, 6, and 10 a whole step?

Would y'all suggest anything additional or different on my 12 string?

Any advice would be much appreciated

JB in Ohio

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 9:27 am    

Hi John... I would spilt the change, meaning lower your 5+10 a whole tone with your zero pedal and on a knee lever, maybe left leg vertical, lower your 6th string a half a tone... That opens up huge possibilities... Just works great for me...

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 11:11 am    

Hi John, When you say Emmon's setup, does that mean on your knee levers as well? The reason I ask is because I lower the E's on my LKR. I use this knee lever in conjunction with the Franklin pedal on a regular basis. If I had the Franklin pedal in the 0 position, it would make it very uncomfortable to use with the LKR. I have the Franklin pedal on pedal 4. Just something to think about.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 6:20 pm    

Dale Rivard wrote:
Hi John, When you say Emmon's setup, does that mean on your knee levers as well? The reason I ask is because I lower the E's on my LKR. I use this knee lever in conjunction with the Franklin pedal on a regular basis. If I had the Franklin pedal in the 0 position, it would make it very uncomfortable to use with the LKR. I have the Franklin pedal on pedal 4. Just something to think about.

Dale,
Yes, my Es are both on the left. Perhaps you have a point about pos 4.
Can you tell me exactly what your 4th pedal does? Is it strings 5,6 & 10?
And since I'm on a 12 string do you suggest I do anything different?
Thanks

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 8:49 pm    

Also, if you split the Franklin pedal as Kevin suggests, you'll probably want to put the 6th string lower on your right knee as it is used a LOT with the E to D# lower. I find it extremely uncomfortable to use a vertical and lkl or lkr lever. And you will also want to be able to let off each of those levers while holding the other in, which is going to be real hard if not next to impossible if they are on the same knee. And, I don't know if Kevin made a typo, but the 6th string change in the Franklin pedal is a whole tone drop. If you want that G note on 6, install a split tuner so you can use yhe lower with the B pedal and you can get the G, and have it be in tune.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 8:58 pm    

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 5:40 am     Re: A little help with the Franklin Pedal Please

John Booth wrote:
Guys,
On my Sierra Crown 12 string Extended E9 (Emmons setup)I want to install the Franklin pedal in position 0 (left of the A pedal)

Can y'all verify that this pedal is supposed to lower strings 5, 6, and 10 a whole step?

I can't verify that is what it is supposed to do, but that is what I did. See http://tinyurl.com/jeffscopedent.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 5:57 am    

Thanks,
I guess this is the way I will go then.
JB

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 11:32 pm    

Hi John. My info may not be of any use to you, because I'm playing an S-10, tuned uni.,right now(9 tuned toB, and 10 tuned toG#). My Franklin pedal is in the zero position, and it lowers 5, 6, and 9, a whole tone, instead of 5,6, and 10. My LKR, lowers the Es,and my LKL, raises the Es to F. My U-12 is down at Humming Bird Studios, waiting for Rick to do a little work on the under-side. My Franklin pedal on the U-12 is also in the zero position, and lowers 5, 6, and 9, a whole tone, same as the S-10. I love the Franklin in the zero pos., on the U-12, so I won't have the Franklin between the C, and 4 pedal, on the B 6th side. My feet are numb, from a compression neuropathy, and it's difficult for me to have to nail the Franklin in the middle of the pedal rack, without accidentally hitting the C, or 4. Say, John, what part of Ohio are you from? I'm from Kent. If you're close enough, perhaps we could get together, sometime, and pick/talk shop. -Jake-

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 3:13 am    

Hi Jake,
Thanks for the info. I'm in Columbus.
It sounds like you have to do the Franklin a little different than most because of your injury, but you are getting similar result with your tuning. What kind of guitars do you play friend?

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 3:47 pm    

John Booth wrote:
Hi Jake,
Thanks for the info. I'm in Columbus.
It sounds like you have to do the Franklin a little different than most because of your injury, but you are getting similar result with your tuning. What kind of guitars do you play friend?
I have three steels, all Carters. Two S-10s, and a U-12. The U-12 had some parts missing, so I'm having Rick Troyer, shape it up, before I start playing it again. I learned most of what I do, on a Sierra U-12, so I'm familiar with it( the U-12) already. The S-10s are set up identically, so I can keep one set up in my music room, and have the other one in the case, and ready to play out. If I do well enough with the U-12, I, at some later date,may look for another Carter U-12, and do the same thing with those two. That can get very expensive, but I almost always get used stuff to save money. I also play lead guitar, and Bass in two different bands, but I don't get to play PSG out, too much(yet). Do you ever go to Gary Preston's jams? I haven't been to any of those for a while, but we may have already met, there. I always enjoy talking to Sonny Curtis, when I go. Well, gotta go watch the Cavs. Nice chatting with you. -Jake-

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 3:54 pm    

Yes, I was at Gary's Steel shindig a couple weeks ago and Sonny was there. I've known him for several years and his son Rick plays steel for one of my bands. He's a great picker too. Sounds like you've got more steels than hands or feet. There's another shindig in February. Maybe I'll see you there. Take care

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 7:08 pm    

Say John, don't you play with Russell
and Bob ?

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 2:36 am    

Hi Dustin,
Yes, for about 25 years now. Have we met friend?

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 9:38 am    

Ha Ha Yes we have Laughing ! I'll give you the short version. I grew up watching Rider through my friendship with Jack Roach......a few years ago I sat in with you guys at a Teamsters function and muddled my way through Rocky Top and Old Violin....I may have messed up...but it was a blast to do !