The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 6th string E raise to F... anybody else like it
Luke Sullivan

El Paso de Robles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2014 4:25 pm    

It can be seen that the 6th string E raise to F is popular. Sez, those beautiful chord moves are just what I like. I put on the additional second string lower, but will take the advice to unscrew the nylon nut for usual playing. That extra change on my LKR makes two separate string groupings. Frankly, it’s too much thinking for my folksinger’s brain. I've tended toward basic chords; Major, min., 7ths, dim. aug. Happy to be learning to appreciate some more complex ones, with chemistry looking labels. My Royal Precision plays like butter; all you C6 lovers ought to be jealous. Really, I am impressed with all the sharing that goes on around here. Been neglecting my chores. Oh well. …Here’s the set-up I went with, for now.

Sez Adamson

South Africa
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2014 10:06 pm    

Hello Luke,
That looks like a great setup. If I had more knee levers, and more knees, I would like to try some of them myself. Congratulations. Sounds like you have a great guitar in that Mullen. As Christopher Woitach said recently: "Music is a very personal journey for each of us". It would be a boring world if we all liked exactly the same sounds. The folks on the Forum are very generous with their 'sharings', so if you want any more ideas, please just let us know.
Best wishes. Sez

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2014 6:25 am    

Luke I tried that P6 inverted on a steel of Jerry Fessenden and liked it.
I put it on as RKR 2 on the Bud, but couldn't get the 9th lever to play nice.

But raising the Lower E to F AND lowering the higher E to Eb
gives you even more with the same lever. Give it a try.

I am doing up a S-14 and plan to have that in there too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2014 9:25 am    

I like your approach too, probably since my C6 is similar. I haven't played it in years so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

You P4 and LKR do opposite things so they would live well on opposite knee levers such as LKL and LKR.

I have your P2 on 2 separate pedals. One raises both A strings to Bb.

I have your RKR on my RKR but it pulls only the higher A string, and has a half stop for B flat and B natural. With that and with the aforementioned pedal raising (your 3) C to D, and with a high D string that you don't have, I found that I don't need your P5 at all.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 12:32 pm    

I just want to jump in and say how helpful this topic has been for me. I've been needing the "F" note in my tuning for a long time and have been wondering where to put if: raise the E or lower the G? This post answers my question. Also - I've never been able to adapt to lowering the 4th string A to Ab. (Probably due to my shortcomings as a player) Raising the G makes a lot of sense right now.

This is what the Forum is all about. Thanks again to Sez Adamson and all who posted.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 3:23 pm    

robert kramer wrote:
I've been needing the "F" note in my tuning for a long time and have been wondering where to put if: raise the E or lower the G?

You can have both.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 7:48 pm    

The last conversation that I had with Reece he was extolling the virtues of that change in particular and went on to describe all of that chords that one would get with it. Since I'm so based in E9th I think of the B pedal functions as it is the same- esp on a uni setting- raising the 3rds 1/2 tone - he referred to it as "the magic lever".

Sez Adamson

South Africa
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2014 9:45 pm    

Thank you, Ian Rae, for your 'longer thought 2'. I tried out your ideas, and I never thought of this before. If I were able to learn one new idea like this everyday (or every week), I think I would make good progress. Sometimes great ideas are staring us in the face, and (as in my case here) we don't see them. When the penny finally drops, it's a revelation.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 3:37 pm    

I have the reverse of P6 on my steels as my C6th Vert

Tried to access sound links for other portions of Sez's chordal examples - no success

doh !

Mark Wayne

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 3:49 pm    

The E to F, 6th string raise is on my guitar, too. The idea for me came in the early 90's when Marshall Hall from Florida suggested it. It's also useful for playing the "Travis-style".

Joe Fortune

2900 Ontario Dr Springfield, Il 62707
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 9:43 am     C6th, 4th pedal

Have had this on my C6th for years, wouldn't want to be without it. Have tried to teach it to students as a way to get into playing the C6th on old rock & roll or blues tunes.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 8:46 pm    

Wow! I haven't been here on the Forum for awhile I guess. So nice to see some truly heady stuff has been happening! Sez and Earnest, both of you are my heroes!

I too have the E to F raise, although I raise both E's. I do that to work in conjunction with a couple different floor pedals I have.... but I totally get why Sez only raises the string 6. Very cool! I'd love to fool around with your steel sometime Sez! You can just bring it by sometime can't you? Wink

Sez Adamson

South Africa
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2014 9:44 pm    

Hi Rick. There is nothing I'd like better than to bring my Steel around. But there are a couple of logistical issues that are in the way. Like about 10 000 kms and our local airport baggage handlers, etc. But maybe I'll rustle up the bucks for a new one sometime, so it's not totally out of the question.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 8:04 am    

Y'all have got me thinking...

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 10:03 am    

I've had the 6th string E to F change for about 3 years and use it often(LKR). It's excellent for a Dm11 with 7th and 9th in the open position(there's no root on the bottom unless you also raise your C to D). I don't, as I like the suspension with the C, F and G(Csus4 and G7sus4). It's also great to use in conjunction with pedal 7 and the C to B knee. I use a G on my first string like Herby did, as I learned C6th that way to begin with. I got used to using this E to F change after listening to and studying Herby Wallace's technique. He gets the F by lowering his 5th string a whole step but I prefer to 6th string E to F.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 10:04 am    

I've had the 6th string E to F change for about 3 years and use it often(LKR). It's excellent for a Dm11 with 7th and 9th in the open position(there's no root on the bottom unless you also raise your C to D). I don't, as I like the suspension with the C, F and G(Csus4 and G7sus4). It's also great to use in conjunction with pedal 7 and the C to B knee. I use a G on my first string like Herby did, as I learned C6th that way to begin with. I got used to using this E to F change after listening to and studying Herby Wallace's technique. He gets the F by lowering his 5th string a whole step but I prefer to 6th string E to F.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 10:32 am    

Steve Mueller wrote:
I Dm11 with 7th and 9th in the open position(there's no root on the bottom unless you also raise your C to D).... He gets the F by lowering his 5th string a whole step but I prefer to 6th string E to F.

That way he can use it with P5 (or whatever lowers G to F# and raises the low C to D) giving you Dm9 with D in the bass.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 8:26 pm    

I have string 10 going to D on the same knee that raises the 6th string E to F, so I have the root for the Dm11 7/9, but much lower down, so my earlier post was not accurate, I was thinking of the 7th string C. Herby Wallace had this 10th string raise on the same lever that lowered the G to F I believe.