The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What tuning to use?
Marty Forrer

New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 8:07 pm    

Now that my homebuilt lap steel is nearing completion, I have to face the dilemma of what tuning and string gauges to use. I have read through the Andy Volk and John Ely charts of tunings, but dont have the experience to make a call. There are several criteria to meet, and that is why I need expert opinion.
*I have a multibender bridge, so can raise or lower two strings
*I want to play country and western swing styles, not hawaiian
*The band I play bass in plays mostly in common country keys of E, D, C, G and A
*I also play basic rhythm guitar, so I'm familiar with a standard guitar neck, fret positions etc.
My research so far has led me to E B E G# B E low to high, with the bender raising the G# and B to get the 4th chord. Am I on the right track? Or am I off course and better of with another tuning?

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 10:29 pm    

That's where I started with slide guitar... open E. Pull your two levers, now you're at open A (except for the B on the 5th string). These are the two most common 'slide' tunings, there's a lotta music in them. Hold the 'B' lever to C#, there's a 6th chord... now you're swingin'!

I feel like you'll probably need to get away from the levers if you want to learn proper C6 etc... so buy more guitars without them, you can never have too many anyway. Lapsteels are cheap... how else can you get a '50s Fender for $500? When you start adding strings, or tuning for closer harmony (e.g. C6) the levers just get in the way, especially if you're trying to learn stuff that doesn't use them.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2014 5:36 am    

Your E to A lever configuration makes perfect sense, and you should be able to simulate pedal steel licks.

However: I totally agree with Stephen. You will probably want another steel with a 6th tuning. The levers will eventually get in your way, and actually hinder your progress on lapsteel.

I installed palm levers on two guitars, and they were a pain to keep in tune, and cramped my right hand picking style.

You will have trouble blocking string noise, and picking cleanly with your hand up above the strings on the levers. With time and practice it will get better, but you are taking on a lot of new challenges at one time, learning to use a bar, and picks is hard enough with out levers.

JMHO Dom Shocked