The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions needed.
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 11:38 am    

I have learned a lot over the past couple years. I know most of my chord positions. If I dont, I can usually figure it out. I can play several intros decently to some of my favorite country songs. Etc. But I want to do more than just learn some tabs. I want something structured to really help me advance my playing. is there a good course for me or do I need to save up and do some one on one lessons? I've spent a lot on my steel getting it the way I want it. Now I'm just ready to get better at playing it. Especially right hand technique. I struggle a lot with that.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 1:27 pm    

You should move away from tab and start figuring things out on your own. Play simple songs using various harmonies and positions. Play single-note melody, and then gradually add harmony below the melody, until you can play any simple song using all 3-note chords. Getting one-on-one lessons is also a must, IMHO, as it gives you both positive and negative feedback right away. I learned more from a pro in an hour than I did in 6 months of struggling on my own. Winking

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 1:30 pm    

Joe Wright's videos might help with the right hand.

http://www.sierrasteels.com/lessons/lessons-index.html

As for playing without tabs, the more you learn chord patterns and scales, the more you will "hear" music. Some songs I listen to I can do on steel almost immediately, or at least get started on. And I've been playing steel 2 years. (Was bass and guitar player before.)

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 3:52 pm    

Join a band

Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 4:35 pm    

Scott,

I'm blown away. Thanks for intoducing me to Mr Wright. Whoa!

RC

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 6:34 pm    

1: practice just a phrase at a time of your tabs.
2: get some backing tracks. Greg Cutshaw has some of his site, Jeffran sells some, Mike Headrick sells some.
3: play along with the tracks.
4: play along with the radio.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 8:14 am    

Hi Jason. I've been using Riff Station to slow down and filter songs, providing me with a way to not only learn the actual parts, but also record just the drums bass and or vocals using the filter that comes with the program. I also work with Audacity, and my old 4-track cassette Korg recorder, because that is fun to me. And a lot of people use Band in the Box. The thing is to get playing with some backing tracks, if you can't find people to play with, or you don't want to play with people. I agree, learning from tabs is a great way to get our muscle memory strong and functional, get some moves together, but there comes a time when we have to start playing music, making it your music, instead of being a live tape recorder.
Working one on one in person or through Skype doesn't hurt either. Every month or so I'll Skype with William Litaker for a session, and I learn stuff that I haven't seen elsewhere. We don't use tab then.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2014 6:01 pm    

One on one with a pro.
Involve your mind into the guitar without the guitar
I spent one full day with the late Jeff Newman, without the guitar, and came away with a TON of immediately useful stuff.
Reemphasizing being a musician rather than just a player, you most definitely should wean yourself away from tablature.

J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2014 12:02 am    

Jason: I would definitely either get some professional lesson, especially if you've never played another instrument, and get some good tracks to practice with. Also I got instrumental tapes by LLoyd Green, Emmons, Curly Chalker, Jimmy Day and listened to them constantly. I kept one playing in my work van & home too. Then when you're ready (and you'll know) get with a GOOD SOLID band. One that plays good music with good timing & dynamics. There's no replacement for O.J.T. Good luck my friend.
J.C.Norris Emmons PP, Peavey 112, 400, 1000. Hilton, Dodd, George L's cables.