The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What was Tom Brumley's PSG history before Buck
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2014 7:08 pm    

Just listened to Tom on Buck's "Before You Go" LP. I had forgotten what a great,great talent Tom was. He had a great ear for melody and feel for the fills..especially on the ballads e.g "Getting Used To Loving You"; "No Fool Like and Old Fool" and "If You Want A Love". Curious to how he got started and his history before he joined Buck.

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2014 7:17 pm    

Tom Brumley

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Tom Brumley

Born
December 11, 1935

Origin
Stella, Missouri, USA

Died
February 3, 2009 (aged 73)
San Antonio, Texas, USA

Genres
Country

Occupation(s)
Musician

Instruments
Steel guitar

Associated acts
Buck Owens, The Buckaroos, Rick Nelson, The Desert Rose Band

Website
www.tombrumley.com

Tom Brumley (December 11, 1935 – February 3, 2009) was an American steel guitarist who played with Buck Owens and the Buckaroos in the 1960s, contributing to the group's "Bakersfield sound", and later spent a decade with Ricky Nelson.

Biography[edit]

Brumley was born on December 11, 1935, in Stella, Missouri, to gospel singer, composer and music publisher Albert E. Brumley, whose songs included "I'll Fly Away", "I'll Meet You in the Morning" and "Turn Your Radio On". He started playing the bass as a teenager with his brothers Al, Bill, Bob and Jackson, in a band that performed on area radio and television stations and at local music festivals. He started on the steel guitar in 1954. He served two years in the United States Army, and worked at his father's music publishing company after completing his military service.[1]

His brother Al had been signed by Capitol Records and Tom was asked to play steel guitar at a 1962 recording session. Buck Owens happened to be at the session and heard Brumley play, saying that he would hire him to play if he ever had the chance. Brumley lived in North Hollywood, played at clubs in the area, and moved to Kingsland, Texas, to work at his father-in-law's construction firm. There he got a call to play with Owens, and his reluctance to be back on the night scene and bars was overcome by his father in law, who told him, "You know, if you don't do this, you'll wish you had. So I want you to try it. You can always come back to Kingsland, but at least you'll know what you want to do and won't be sorry".[1]

With Owens from 1963 until 1969, Brumley was featured on recordings including "Act Naturally", "I've Got a Tiger By the Tail" and "Together Again".[1] His performance on "Together Again" has been considered "one of the finest steel guitar solos in the history of country music", as described in an obituary by Country Music Television.[2] His unique steel guitar sound was known as "The Brumley Touch" and he was recognized by the Academy of Country Music as the top steel guitarist.[1]

Rick Nelson lured Brumley to play on his album In Concert at the Troubadour, 1969, accepting on a commitment that he would only do four shows with Nelson, but ended up performing with him for a decade. In a 2005 interview, Brumley called it "a godsend being asked to join Rick's band, and I still think "Garden Party" was a highlight of my recording career".[1]

During a short hiatus from working with Ricky Nelson, Brumley graciously accepted an invitation to play his outstanding pedal steel style on Singer-Songwriter, Guthrie Thomas' Capitol Records LP, Lies and Alibis, along with other extremely talented artists, Ringo Starr, John Hartford, David Foster, Jim Keltner, and Mark Dawson, that also joined Thomas on this LP in 1976 in Studio B at Capitol Records in Hollywood.

He spent three years with Chris Hillman and The Desert Rose Band during the early 1990s, and performed at the Brumley Family Music Show in Branson, Missouri from 1989 to 2003, with his sons Todd and Tommy. He also performed or recorded with artists including Glen Campbell, Guthrie Thomas, Merle Haggard, Chris Isaak, Waylon Jennings, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, Ray Price and Rod Stewart, and was inducted into both the Texas Steel Guitar Hall of Fame and the International Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.[1]

In 1999, he was asked to record with the Light Crust Doughboys by invitation of Doughboys Grammy Award-Winning artist-producer Art Greenhaw, a lifelong fan of Brumley. Resulting recordings took place over a several-year period in Branson, Missouri, and Dallas, Texas, and spanned several musical genres including gospel, country, country-rock and patriotic.

Brumley died at age 73 on February 3, 2009, at Northeast Baptist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas, a little more than a week after experiencing a heart attack. He was survived by his wife of 48 years, Rolene
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2014 7:42 pm    

Thanks Billy !!

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2014 2:55 am    

I second that thanks to Billy. Brumley's my favored player for many reasons, but after hearing his intro to "Cinderella", I had to learn how all the pieces fit together to yield that kind of sound. That he recorded Together Again on a busted up Fender, purposefully sabotaged by the previous steeler, is another aspect to the legend that I think is actually accurate. Reading Buck Owens bio by Eileen Sisk, Brumley's take on things is very revealing, to say the least. Amazing, really.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2014 3:16 am    

There are two pages left, but I can't get them to upload Sad

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2014 5:19 am    

Daniel Policarpo wrote:
Reading Buck Owens bio by Eileen Sisk, Brumley's take on things is very revealing, to say the least. Amazing, really.

Excellent book with some great anecdotes by both Tom and Rolene Brumley.

Does not paint a flattering picture of the great Buck Owens, by any stretch of the imagination.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 5:39 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:

Does not paint a flattering picture of the great Buck Owens, by any stretch of the imagination.

No it does not. Doyle Holly had his own revolving door installed, apparently. Laughing His take on 'Abilene' is one of my favorite of the songs featuring the Buckaroos, in part because of Holly's vocal turn, but also due to Brumley's steel. For a simple standard, they elevated it to a whole 'nother level and its one of my personal favorites.
There is no doubt the music the 'classic' lineup produced was fantastic, and we got introduced to a few other awesome pickers along the way thanks to Buck's superb ear.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 11:17 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
There are two pages left, but I can't get them to upload Sad

I'd love to read the rest of this Joachim, if you can get it to post

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 12:24 pm    

Tom Bradshaw's article wrote:

[young Tom Brumley] played for .. raccoon hunts.

Maybe this explains the missing element when I try to play country. I must never turn down any more raccoon hunt gigs.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 12:52 pm    

Smile I'm with Ian, if u can't get the pages to post could tell us(me) what publication u took the excerpt from....thanks. Stormy

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 11:52 pm    

Storm the article was written by Tom Bradshaw. It appeared in the Guitar Player magazine from January 1976.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2014 6:13 am    

Smile Thanks Joachim, I appreciate the reply....Stormy

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2014 9:42 am    

Great article. Thanks Joachim!

Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2014 10:16 am    

Interesting that Wikipedia says he was featured on Act Naturally and Tiger By The Tail. No steel on those studio tracks.