The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Pro II and Sho-Bud Baldwin Crossover Restoration ?
Bob Gibler

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 3:58 pm    

Hello Folks. It's me again. I have been Watching some Beautiful Sho-Bud Restorations on this forum and I have a few Questions.

First I am wanting to get two of My Late Fathers Sho-Bud Double Neck Steels Professionally restored. First is the red Sho-Bud Pro II w/ten Pedals and 4 knee levers. The older one is a Blond Sho-Bud Baldwin with rear change lever and one Knee lever. My dilema is that We lost Bobby Semore recently Who was ready to take on the job. So I was wondering If anyone knows how to get a hold of Vic who used to work for Bobby? I have no info on his where a bouts.

Next Is there anyone that has taken over the rebuild section of Bobby's business or could someone get me in touch with a Sho-Bud Luthier who would restore these Steels to factory Spec's.

The Baldwin will need upgrades. I have no courage to attempt a resto on these Guitars. They need new changers, and about 60-70% new hardware each.

And last but not least. Does anyone know of any instructional material for the Universal B flat 6th tunings. Any help would be appreciative. I might one day try to restore a pedal Steel, but today I know my limitations on the construction of these works of Art. I however am very inspired by you folks who have tackled these Sho-Buds.

Here are a couple of photos of the Steels in question.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 4:37 pm    

I'd say James Morehead or Ricky Davis would be my hired guns of choice.
There are very few instructional materials for Bb6. I even asked David Wright awhile ago.
Fortunately, it is VERY similar to the E9/B6 tunings, just a half-step down, or two steps down from C6. If you can play any of the other three tunings (E9, E9/B6 or C6), it is NOT that hard to play Bb6. Really. Its like E9 but with the Es lowered

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 4:59 pm    

You will find Vic at his new store - Steel Guitars of Nashville: http://www.steelguitarsofnashville.com

Bob Gibler

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 3:29 am    

Lane, Thanks for the heads up. I will talk to Ricky and James. Also I am very familiar with the E9 E9/B6, C6 C6cH and have the E9/B6 tunings. But didn't know it was just a half step down or two from C6. OK so Bb6 with the E lowered. I should be able to dial it in on my electronic tuner then.. Thanks..

Also Bob B. Thank you for the info on Vic. He knows exactly what I want to do with the Bud's, I appreciate it Guy's