The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Universal S12 modification
Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 1:04 pm    

Men, I would like to hear your thoughts.

A long time ago, when I first met Reece Anderson I was fascinated with the Bb6 Universal. Reece taught me initially on S10 E9. Reece's universal approach is still a fascination.

I loved the C6 neck on my old MSA D10. However, not the easiest guitar to experiment with as far as adding / moving bell cranks quickly etc.

Bud Carter and John Fabian built a custom D10 Carter for me in 1996, and I absolutely loved the mechanics of it. Again really digging its' C6.

I always thought, a Lacquer MSA S12 with modern Carter undercarriage would be the ultimate S12 experience.

Anyone done this? I would like to read / see your results.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 1:10 pm    

What about the new MSA?

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 1:27 pm    

Hey Lane. I thought of that. However, they are a bit pricey for an experimental project. Kyle builds good stuff, and I like the look of them. However, I'm a bit of a tinkerer and have a burning desire to take one of those old pretty lacquer maple guitars and convert it to square cross shafts etc.

I would also have to throw old ZB customs in the mix. I know that has been done by several people.

I've thought about taking a D10 ZB custom and modify it to accept triple raise / triple lower changers and do the same thing. In fact, that is in my bucket too.

I restored a D11 ZB (one of Tom Brumleys) several years ago, and that is when the idea took root. The D11 ZB that I had was one of the first ones (if not the prototype maybe) with cross shafts and bell cranks. A bear to work on, but sounded phenominal.

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 12:41 am     ZB custom conversion

Hi Bill do you have pics of the D11 that you reworked?
The undercarriage of course Very Happy .

Dwight Very Happy

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 4:02 am     D11 Zb

Dwight, I will have to search for them. I do have some pictures. Steve Takacs may have some. I sold it to Steve in 2002 I think.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 4:54 am    

How are you going to fit the square cross shafts of the Carter the round holes in the MSA frame?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 7:43 am    

Reducing bushings? Or some sort of adapter tip?

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 8:30 am    

I have a Sierra with square shafts that fit into round holes. The shafts ends are machined round on the ends...the length of the round end is slightly longer than the depth of the rail hole to allow the shaft to be removed by sliding it back...

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 10:57 am    

Something else to consider; All those older MSA's were made before the advent of tunable splits.

If want to have a split, even if you have one of the later model with the triple raise changer, you will still need one of Tom Bradshaw's raise/lower conversion devises on the 5th string to give you the 4th raise you need to tune the split.

If you're going to use an older double raise double lower classic, (as I did) you will need to use Tim's devises on the 5th and 6th strings, AND have the endplate drilled out to accommodate a split screw on string 5.

Jim Palenscar performed the necessary surgery on my guitars. Needless to say, the operations were successful, and my 3 raises and splits all worked perfectly.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 1:23 pm    

Sho-Bud barrels on Sho-Bud rods.
Unlimited number of pulls, but reduced flexibility for pull timing

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 3:17 pm    

Hey Mike, how you doing man? Haven't talked to you in a long time.

I have a machine shop where I work, so building MSA compatible cross shafts that are square will not be an issue.

I only thought of converting to Carter undercarriage just because the most wonderful thing I liked about the Carter D10 I used to have was its' mechanics.

So really, any Carter made guitar (MSA, MCI, Carter) is a good candidate. I want a Triple//Triple changer. 5 knees and 7 or 8 pedals. I'm thinking I can do mine with 6 pedals, but thats why I want to "experiment" if that makes sense?

THe MSA lacquer guitars were really nice cabinets. and using traditional MSA undercarriage is not out of the question if I can find the right guitar. Or Dekley hardware is fairly close to MSA original.

Jr Knight sold his MSA U12 about a month ago, very reasonable, and it was already a Bb6. and I missed another MSA S12 here in Dallas two weeks ago for $1200.

If I had $4500 I would just get Kyle to make me a brand new Legend with Bb6 on it. MAN oh MAN, they are some beautiful guitars.

BTW - I talked to Jim just yesterday about these things. So we're thinking along the same path. Thanks for all the input guys.

BB

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 3:23 pm    

A little off topic. LANE are you a KC Royals fan?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 3:34 pm    

....oh....you mean that team that lost the 2014 world series?