The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vaguely titled band critique hoping to avoid fishing presum
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 4:13 pm    

Robert Randolph is a Pedal Steel Guitar God! Maybe if he threw me a finger pick.
Brilliant played music that you should hear on radio but don't!
You can enjoy Robert's pedal steel playing in concert, but don't expect him performing songs from the previous albums and you will more than likely hear a "jam band" concert with not a single song you can recognize.
The Family Band only has two original members and I think the band has hit it's peak. As a results it seems that the Family Band is desperately trying to find a new sound with their current set up.
To me What you get now is Robert as still an excellent musician but can't carry a show. Boring after a few songs.
I don't know exactly which direction the Family Band is going or what they are trying to do but it looks to me like it's not working.

Last edited by Bo Legg on 14 Oct 2014 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 4:20 pm     Re: I don't think Emmons nor Franklin went through this

Bo Legg wrote:
I don't know exactly which direction the Family Band is going or what they are trying to do but it looks to me like it's not working.

That's what you said when The Beatles released Revolver, Bo. Winking

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 5:24 pm    

Sorry b0b I was in process of changing the title when you replied.
I think all bands go through this phaze.
I would like to point out that you don't hear RR on the radio, it's not on the teen's Iphones and most young folks don't know RR anymore than they know about Emmons or Franklin, while the Beatles were all over the radio and it wouldn't have mattered what direction they turned including country.
It's not a slam on his Steel playing but you must understand that when they advertise an 8:30pm time and they don't go on till 10:00pm with a long wait from the closing of the opening band and then you don't hear what you expected to hear, bordom is restrained politeness when you realize the opening band was the best part of the night.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 5:55 pm    

Until they sing a little of it you’re not going to have a clue what they are playing. That hasn’t changed from day one. No different than Nashville. The family has a lot of fans and they’ll get through it no matter.
I’ll put my money on Zane King if he’ll play pedal steel with his teeth behind his back and throw it down, stomp on it after he sets it on fire and then gives me an autographed burnt chunk of it. Laughing

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 6:11 pm    

i predict that we'll see a collabortion of robert with zane king playing pedal bass.

i think it will be a cool thing.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 3:41 pm    

Stuart Legg wrote:
The family has a lot of fans and they’ll get through it no matter.

The way I see it right now, RR is probably the only pedal steeler in the world that can pack a house with young fans.

And without young fans...the pedal steel is doomed.

Sad

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 4:31 pm    

Apocalypse Now

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 4:47 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
The way I see it right now, RR is probably the only pedal steeler in the world that can pack a house with young fans.

And without young fans...the pedal steel is doomed.

:(

Symphony orchestras don't "pack a house with young fans", haven't for a long time (maybe ever?), but they survive. Likewise chamber music ensembles, opera companies, jazz quartets, etc.

We have plenty of testimony right here on the Forum that there are at least some young fans of pedal steel, both fans of its traditional contexts and fans of its use in other contexts. Who needs to "pack houses" with young people?

If appreciation of pedal steel tends to come from not just young, but more mature people, what's wrong with that? They're people too! And never in short supply.

Reports of pedal steel's imminent demise are, IMHO, greatly exaggerated.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2014 4:50 pm    

The Family Bank has been around for years now and I don’t see young folks swamping the Pedal Steel Builders with orders.

The Family band has been on the charts seldom and when they were they were only there for 3 weeks or less (generally one week) and always drop off in a range of #145 to #75. Not exactly breaking records nor becoming that well known among young folks.

Apart from that The Family Band does not change anything regarding same old problem of the cost factor related to PSG.

Their limited young fan base will buy tickets but they don’t play air PSG and they are not going to fork over the thousands of dollars it will take to garage band the RR sound.

Sorry “Same old same old story”

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2014 3:20 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:

If appreciation of pedal steel tends to come from not just young, but more mature people, what's wrong with that? They're people too! And never in short supply...Reports of pedal steel's imminent demise are, IMHO, greatly exaggerated.

Look guys, I never said there was anything wrong with older people being fans, I'm in the "medicare club" myself! Laughing And also, I never said anything about an "imminent" demise. However, I do think you're fooling yourselves if you think that a successful future of pedal steel isn't based on increasing the number of young people taking up the instrument.

Quote:
The Family band has been on the charts seldom and when they were they were only there for 3 weeks or less (generally one week) and always drop off in a range of #145 to #75.

Well, at least he's on the charts. Rolling Eyes Maybe you can name another pedal steeler that's been there in the last 20 or 30 years? Laughing

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 2:22 pm    

Let's compare apples to apples.
The Family Band albums are not PSG Albums and are not on the charts as such.
It is The Family Band with steel guitar.
"Look at Us” with Hughey by chart comparison blows RR away.
I think it's great what RR is doing but he is not PSG's great savior!
Our country session players are right now the main driving force.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 3:18 pm    

Stuart Legg wrote:
Let's compare apples to apples.
The Family Band albums are not PSG Albums and are not on the charts as such.
It is The Family Band with steel guitar.
"Look at Us” with Hughey by chart comparison blows RR away.
I think it's great what RR is doing but he is not PSG's great savior!
Our country session players are right now the main driving force.

BZZZZZT!!!

Sorry, wrong again, Stuart, and "X" gets the square. Hughey's name wasn't on the record, it wasn't his band, and you could also say that wasn't wxactly what you'd call a "PSG album", either. Geeze, here's a young pedal steeler, with pedal steel front-and-center as the featured instrument, fronting a rocking band and getting national airtime, and also exciting some young people!

I find that significant.

Exclamation

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 4:50 pm    

Paul Franklin's latest album, a duo with Vince Gill, peaked at #4 on the Billboard Top Country chart. It's currently at #28.

RR & The Family Band have never really had a hit record.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2014 11:47 am    

b0b wrote:

RR & The Family Band have never really had a hit record.

Good point. But then again...neither did Gram Parsons or Chet Atkins. Mr. Green