The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum..............zum, zum...............
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 8:47 am    

What can you tell me about YOUR Zum steel guitar? What year? What is the most exceptionally fine feature that you cherish?

Not looking for a sale pitch just an honest player summary. Okay?

David Hartley

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 9:08 am     Hello Ray

Hope you're doing OK.
Someone is lending me a ZumSteel in Italy this weekend.
I will let you know my thoughts.
I have played one in Norway and it was great. I will miss my own setup though as it has a slightly different Copedant.

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 9:23 am    

Easy play, tone, and stays in tune. 2005 model Jack

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 12:04 pm    

2007 Zum plays so easy, looks great, sounds good. It is everything a person should expect a fine guitar to be. I don't know of a a finer guitar on the market but I have not tried them all. Also here is my black workhorse Zum in a photo with my Grandson Braydon playing the Branson show. This is also a great guitar. Braydons Zum Encore is a great one as well.

Last edited by Jerry Roller on 13 Oct 2014 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 12:24 pm    

I'm the original owner of a Dec 1990.
It plays easy, sounds good.
Most amazingly, I can put it in the closet of a Kenworth on Monday night, bounce it across the country 5000 miles in 5 days (on end, the only way it fits in the closet-yes, trucks have closets), pull it out at the gig and the changes are in tune, as are the strings.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 6:34 pm    

Opinions are of course very personal and all do not agree with one's conclusion but here goes mine. I had tried many different brands in searching for the ideal instrument for me. That involved tone and mechanical feel and ease of maintenance. I selected the Zumsteel because it fulfilled all those categories. That includes the Emmons push-pull. I have made changes in the undercarriage and found it very user friendly. The mechanical feel is as good as it gets. I consider Bruce a genius in the pedal steel guitar world. I haven't heard another guitar that sounds better than my good old D10 . That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2014 7:26 pm     Re: Zum..............zum, zum...............

Ray Montee wrote:
What can you tell me about YOUR Zum steel guitar? What year? What is the most exceptionally fine feature that you cherish?

Precision, dependability,and tone. Mine is a D10 that I bought new in 2004. I have played it a LOT in the last 10 years and the only "work" I've had to do to it is oil it and change the strings. Bruce once told me that he's had players bring him their Zums after 20 to 25 years of being on the road and all they needed was oiling, cleaning up, and very minor adjustments. It's a top-quality instrument for sure.

Mitch

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 4:28 am    

I had a brand new one back in 2003 and, as exactly as Bruce had made it to my requirements, I tried for weeks to get a tone out of it to match my Emmons LG111. In the end I sold it - but now I wish I hadn't!!!

I've sat behind a couple of Zums more recently and I've really been struck by their ease-of-action and playability. I'm not sure how this quality escaped me back when I bought mine but now I have my eyes open for a suitable Zum on the second-hand market.

It will be my next guitar!

(And another vote here for Doug's Encore - my one (#008) is marvelous.)

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 6:42 am    

I have one of the first Hybrid Zums, and I would zum it up in one word: Precision!

Top notch quality and finish, and the tone is big and rich – about as close to an Emmons p/p you can get without actually playing a p/p. Also, most brands have their good and not so good points, but I can't remember ever hearing of anyone at all being even slightly dissatisfied with a Zumsteel.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 6:48 am    

Per, I'm dissatisfied.
Because it plays in tune, with dependable tone (weather depending), I can't blame the guitar when foul things come out of the speakers.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 6:56 am    

Lane, I see it as a big plus knowing I'm the only one to blame... Winking

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 8:13 am    

I bought my U-12 ZumSteel, new, in 2003 and it has been a joy to own and play. It looks great, plays great and sounds fantastic. Over the last year and a half, I've played over 60 gigs with it and it has been really dependable. If I ever needed another steel, I would definitely look into purchasing another Zum. I like mine so much, I don't think it'll never wear out.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 7:01 pm    

I have a 2001 12-string E9/B6 universal and a ca. 1994 D10. The mechanics are extremely solid and precise. This gives them, to my tastes, great sound, playability, and dependability. They do what you tell them to do, sound like (I think) they're supposed to, and are a pleasure to play.

Since I started playing, I've tried at least one of pretty much every pedal steel I could get my hands on. I'm down to these two Zums, an early D-10 Franklin, a '76 LDG, and have a project to restore an early-mid 60s Sho Bud Fingertip D10 one of these days. I really liked most of the other guitars, and the Sho Buds are very cool. But the Zums and Franklin are what I play most of the time.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 10:19 pm    

I've had 3 Zums and thought they were all great guitars. I prefer the tone of my Legrand which plays equally as well as the Zums.

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2014 2:18 pm     Zum

I am the proud owner of a late model SD 10 Zum. Don't know too much about Zums but this one is a keeper. Love it, love it, love it.