The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pull/release
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 11:52 am    

Does anyone have a good diagram or clear photo of the best way to set up a pull release system for a rise and lower on one string?
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 12:10 pm    

Richard Burton has a VERY clear diagram on it halfway down this page.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=250642

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 1:16 pm     Thanks

Thanks, That is helpful...
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 1:32 pm    

There's one advance that Marlen made later that's NOT on Richard's diagrams.
By putting a threaded rod and tuning nut on the lowering rod, you could tune the open note in the window in the endplate, rather than reaching under to tune it at the pedal stop as in his diagrams.
See this picture here: notice that only strings that both raise and lower (4 and 8 on the E9th, 3, 9 and 10 on C6) have those screws.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 2:03 pm     More good advise

More good advise for me.
That will be a huge help.
I read every post on those two pages and lots of good insights.
Also some good photos to help.
Thanks again.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2014 2:11 pm     Great place

WoW Lane,
I just noticed in that photo... Great place to keep you thumb pick but where does one keep the finger picks on a pull release system?

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 1:19 pm    

b0b wrote:
...no string is both raised and lowered, and only one of them has 2 raises. It worked great within those limitations.

Just want to make it clear that on a Marlen, despite the way Bob said his was set up, you can raise and lower the same string. In fact I think you would be hard pressed to find a Marlen pull release that is not setup with both E's raising and lowering.

As was said elsewhere, you just can't do multiple lowers to different notes unless they are knee's that you tune at the knee lever stopping point.

You can do more than one raise on any string and timing the pulls is quite easy.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 1:26 pm    

Andy, if you have any problems with your Marlen, shoot me PM with your phone number. I've rebuilt several and know them inside and out.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 3:11 pm    

memphislim wrote:

As was said elsewhere, you just can't do multiple lowers to different notes unless they are knee's that you tune at the knee lever stopping point.

Slim, you CAN put half-tone tuners on a lowering rod, but it can be a pain to reach the tuner to tweak it.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 3:26 pm     Thanks but no Marlin

Thanks for the help.
I don't have a Marlin guitar.
I have a 8 string pull release changer that I intend to use on the front neck of a double 8 I want to build.
Just getting all I need together, Both parts and information for the project.
I do like all the good information from people on the forum who have shared their wisdom.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2014 5:54 am    

Yes, you are correct Lane, that is an option but you really have to turn the guitar over at that point to change as the other rods around it will prevent access from the seated position.

Here are some pics of my recent rebuild. I converted this Speedy West D10 to an SD10. I made the pad and switch plate which I moved from between the necks. I also made the fretboard from pearl pickguard material and matched the top of the pickup to it when I re-wound it. The final change I made was having the changer fingers made from stainless which included having more holes in the finger to allow better timing of the pulls. To my ear the stainless takes the tone from a 7 to an 11. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out on all levels.

Since I already have a D10 Marlen, the SD10 was created as a justification for having two Marlens. I saved all the parts and can easily put it back to the D10 as most of the under carriage is ready for the C6 neck.

One interesting note is that this was supposedly Speedy's personal guitar that Leonard Stadler got back and held on to. Upon Leonard's death the family sold through a local music store to me. The copedant on it was so foreign to anything I've ever seen that I had to completely tear out the underside to install a modern pedal/knee setup, thus inspiring the the complete change over.

Before:

After:

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2014 6:11 am    

Right. Obviously you know as well as I that if you don't mind having no control over timing, these things are dead easy. Everything can share one rod for raises and one for lowers, just like a push-pull or RB Bud.
I like those fingers, Slim.
They're not designed to be easily tinkered with, but if you know what you want and aren't likely to change it, the sky's the limit, but the more stuff you put under it, the harder to change it. As much pretty wood as Len used, it always surprised me that he chose slab fretboards. My Bud has birdseye maple under the fretboards, I chose artwork fretlines, and local motorcyle shop artist Philip Gordon laid down gold leaf.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2014 6:57 am     Pearl Position Markers and Frets

Nice but if anybody else decides to do a fretboard like that we sell the Card Suit Pearl Position Markers and Frets made of real pearl and abalone shell.
See the sample.
Andy Very Happy