The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  F# to G on lever?
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 6:38 am    

Hi, I would like to try a copedent on my Fender 1000. I like the sound of the F# to G on the AB pedal position, the 6th to seventh sound it something I like. I also want to have a low D that can be lowered with a lever to C#.

I have presently the standard ABC pedal and LKL (Fs) and LKR (Ebs).

I will tune to (low to high) D-E-F#-G#-B-E-G#-F#

I wounder if I should put F#s to Gs and D to C# on 2 right knee levers? In this case I will not be able to use them together to get a A7, maybe its not important, if its important I can put the F# to G on a 4th pedal.

What you think?

thanks!

Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 7:58 am    

Hi J-S

I had the F# to G raise on my LKR and changed it to lower 6 from G# to F#. (It still raises string 1 from F# to G). I like the 6th string whole tone lower much better.

You'll get lots of opinions for sure, but I'm happy I made this change. I have a fourth lever (RKR) which lowers string 2 to D, but I don't find I use it very much. I use the 6th string lower as much as I use the E raises and lowers.

Cheers,
Mike

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 8:16 am    

Michael Hummel wrote:
Hi J-S

I had the F# to G raise on my LKR and changed it to lower 6 from G# to F#. (It still raises string 1 from F# to G). I like the 6th string whole tone lower much better.

You'll get lots of opinions for sure, but I'm happy I made this change. I have a fourth lever (RKR) which lowers string 2 to D, but I don't find I use it very much. I use the 6th string lower as much as I use the E raises and lowers.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the response, seems like a good choice to have the F# to G on the high strings and G# to F# on the low one, do you use it for licks or chords? Can you give some examples of what you use a lot?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 11:16 am    

I actually use the 7Th F# to G as much or more that the 1st string raise to G. Of course that changes depending on what band I am playing with and what songs they do. I also have the 6th G# to F# on another lever. I use that one far more than the F# to G changes. If I HAD to choose, I would pick the 6th G# to F#.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 14 Oct 2014 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 11:22 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I actually use the 7Th F# to G as much or more that the 1st string raise to G. Of course that changes depending on what band I am playing with and what songs they do. I also have the 7th G# to F# on another lever. I use that one far more than the F# to G changes. If I HAD to choose, I would pick the 6th G# to F#.

Good, I will probably put the high F# to G and low G# to F# on a 4th pedal and the D to C# on a lever.

Can you please give me some examples of licks using the G# to F#?

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 11:46 am    

It gives you the same lick that letting off the A pedal does in the A&B position. Using it with the lever that lower the E's to D#, you get a major chord 2 frets down, the same as the A&B pedals. For example, if you have a D chord at fret 5 with A&B pressed down, you let off the A&B pedals and you drop to fret 3 with just the 6th lower and the E's lowered, and you have another D chord, but a different inversion. There are a lot of melody possibilities with that lever. At the 3rd fret D, if you let off the lever (still lowering the E's) you get a D6, then you bring in the B pedal and you have your D7. Lots of pretty cool stuff moving between the pedals down position and this combination 2 frets down. Hughey uses it in the instrumental version he did of "Look At Us" in the video on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvFYj9-LU80

John's RKR is the 6th lower and his LKL is the the E lowers. At 0.31 you can see him to go down 2 frets playing the melody. Hughey uses that lever a lot. So does Emmons.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 11:49 am    

Thanks a lot Richard!

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 11:51 am    

And, around 0.52 he uses the lever to get that movement I was telling you about by letting off the A pedal in the pedals down position, except he he let's off the B pedal and hits the lever then let's off the lever. It's really cool lick.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 12:00 pm    

sure!!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 12:14 pm    

Also, if you use the G#m position (it's my favorite minor position, even more so than the A pedal C#m), it drops that root to a 7. My vocabulary is loaded with stepwise transitions up and down the scale, this is a very useful step.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 12:42 pm    

Looks like you have a typical E9th tuning without the 2nd and 10th string. Good choices.
Jean, remember you can always hold the bar down securely, press A/B and pull the first string toward you with left hand fingers 2 and 3, easily bending it 1/2 step. This is one of my favorite moves. Without pedals you get a nice bluesy note, with A/B you get the nice 7th.(b7th) Ron

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 1:02 pm    

Ron Pruter wrote:
Looks like you have a typical E9th tuning without the 2nd and 10th string. Good choices.
Jean, remember you can always hold the bar down securely, press A/B and pull the first string toward you with left hand fingers 2 and 3, easily bending it 1/2 step. This is one of my favorite moves. Without pedals you get a nice bluesy note, with A/B you get the nice 7th.(b7th) Ron

Yes that how I get my F# to G presently!

I just have 2 knee lever that I would like to installed on the right and think about what would be the best.

The D to C# is because I dont have the low B to get that C#.

Maybe a solution can be to have D to C# on pedal 4, both F# to G on RKR and low G# to F# on RKL.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2014 2:29 pm    

Even if you have low B, D to C# is nice anyway for an E7 to A cadence.

Mark Nix

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 12:57 pm    

I'm going to move mine from the RKL to the LKV so It's an easy move with the AB pedals down.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 7:30 am    

I finally add 2 knee levers to my Fender and setup with

F#
G#
E
B
G#
F#
E
D

standard ABC pedal, both E levers on left and RKR raise both F# to G# and RKL lower the D to C#. I use and love all these changes, I especially love the F# to G# when doing a G#m with LKR (Eb) that create a cool lick with the 7th to root.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 7:31 am    

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 7:49 am    

I messed with the G# to F# change and really love it! You cab get a very nice organ type rhythm messing with the 6 string lever and B pedal! Thanks Richard!