The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Mullen restoration
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 12:21 pm    

This Pre RP Mullen started its life as a unique red lacquered guitar. Over time and neglect it faded to a Home Depot orange with plenty of character flaws in the finish. The undercarriage, altho supposedly overhauled by someone else, was lacking in playability, especially on the bottom neck as most changes didn't even work. Changing a color on a lacquered model is challenging and it didn't help with the extreme humidity here and my paint gun breaking during a critical time. I'm not overly impressed with my refinished results in the body, but it's acceptable. When finished my intention is to have every single piece if this steel repaired or replaced and playing like only a Mullen can. They are indeed amazing instruments to say the least for tone and smoothness!

Last edited by David Higginbotham on 30 Nov 2014 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 12:40 pm    

Nice job David. It would be nice to see some more pictures as you complete your restoration.

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 6:27 pm    

Morton thanks! I will post more pics when I finish it...but at least it's starting to look like a Mullen again! Wink

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2014 5:00 am    

You are doing a great job. Looks real good and I love the color.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2014 5:46 pm     Mullen Refurb

Looks great Dave! Keep up the good work!

Don

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 7:14 am    

Looking Good. If you want to get all the necks and stuff redone to look brand new to match your great work, let me know.

sales@mullenguitars.com

Good work!!

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 8:09 am    

David, what kind of lacquer did you shoot that with and how many coats ? Thanks, Martin.

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2014 4:57 pm    

Mike, the necks and end plates look surprisingly good considering the age and I think everything else will polish out well. I will likely need a few undercarriage parts that I will order soon. As I mentioned previously, I need two decals. (One for the front apron and one for the inevitable mistake I will make) but I don't see the decals listed on your site?

Martin, I tried to go retro and use nitrocellulose lacquer. After 3 or 4 coats I became convinced that it wasn't going to give me the desired results. I sanded that down and applied 4 coats of Watco lacquer. I've gotten great results in the past with their product and the Mullen was no exception. The flaws that are there were my fault and certainly not the lacquer!

Thanks guys!
Dave

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2014 7:29 pm    

A little more polishing, new rubber feet, & of course a Mullen Logo and I'm finished! This thing sounds and plays great!

J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2014 1:08 am    

Great job Dave; Like that shade of blue much better than the red. I'm sure you're very proud of it, and rightfully so. Again, great job!!! J.C. Norris

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2014 4:58 am    

Dave that is beautiful. Maybe I missed it but how much time do you have in it?

Ps. I have one I may want to refinish. Are you in business?

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2014 6:39 am    

Puuurrrty

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2014 8:40 am    

Very nice David! Looks like you changed the rope inlay to solid?

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2014 4:54 pm    

J.C. Thank you for the kind words! It was a fun journey! Winking

Kevin, yes I changed the rope inlay to a solid natural pattern. I would have to look back to see what kind of wood I used...but I really admire natural wood and I thought it would pair well against the blue. I've always felt the only steel that looked great with rope inlay was Shobud. I mean no disrespect to anyone or any builder as rope is the most used inlay. But one thing for sure...I think I'm safe in saying there is no other Mullen with this combination! Cool

Marty, I have no idea how many hours I've put into this Mullen. I stopped counting at like hour 10 and that was early on. The extended time required and obvious challenge was changing the color. Ideally, I would love to have left it natural but that's nearly impossible to completely rid the wood of color even after stripping and bleaching. So applying the same color or darker shade is usually the only option. Then I decided to try using a retro finish with nitrocellulose lacquer which requires many more coats and polishing but I wasn't happy with the results. So the process started over with stripping that off and changing the lacquer. The Mullen undercarriage is quite challenging to say the least to reassemble and of course I polished every part or changed any worn as needed.

Let me know what you have that you're considering refinishing and maybe we can make it happen! Thanks for the kind words my friend!!!
Dave

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2014 5:23 pm    

Your effort sure shows...........it's a beautiful guitar

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2014 6:59 pm    

Quote:
Your effort sure shows...........it's a beautiful guitar

Thank you Dr. Glassman! I really enjoy refurbishing these old steels. I think we owe it to the pioneers of the pedal steel who've spent decades developing and improving the designs of these amazing mechanical instruments that we're privileged to play today. I'm happy I'm able to do a small part to honor these truly talented designers and builders!
Dave