The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Oops
Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 4:46 pm    

Gentlemen:
I do not know where to post this so forgive me if it is in the wrong section. I asked another forum member about it and he thought it was interesting.
I have reentered the steel arena after a long layoff. I have played in the past MSA S 10 and an Emmons D12. I don't remember having this come up back then. I wore cowboy boots to work the pedals and of course the volume pedal.

I have recently acquired a Sho Bud Super Pro. I assembled it and not having a volume pedal yet have played it for about a week. I have used moccasins mainly in my relearning. The other day I put on my newer cowboy boots and it worked okay. Mind you I did not have a volume pedal yet. I have the pedals just a little ways off the floor. Seems pretty good reach I don't have to hold my foot up so much on pedals the knee levers are about right.

Now I got a Sho Bud volume pedal delivered. Wanted to try vintage..lol. Works pretty good clean sounding pot. I put my cowboy boots on and can't even get under the steel with the foot on the volume pedal. I started to Jack it up and I had to go pretty high to clear. Which means the pedal rods got to come down quite a bit. Wasn't ready for that. Probably not enough threads to get down to where I have been playing.

I lowered it and played in my bare foot on volume pedal. I work things pretty good. Has anyone ever faced that situation before. I don't mind playing barefoot but the other people might. I use the cowboy boot on pedals. Everything is close. Maybe minor adjustments along the way with regards to pedal and lever reach.

Any feedback is appreciated. Lol. One cowboy boot, one barefoot.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 5:44 pm    

You have several options. One would be to go with a low profile volume pedal. If you want to stick with the vintage pedal, you can either buy or make you a lift kit. Most of the commercial ones come in either one or two inch lift and come with rod extensions and front leg spacers. You could also order or make you some longer pedal rods and make your own leg sleeves for the front legs. I lift my guitars 2 inches and I buy a commercial kit for mine when I need one. Click on the link and see an example of a life kit.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/steelguitarsofnashvilleinc/accessories/one-inch-8-pedal-lift-kit

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 6:23 pm    

Is there a reason that the back legs cannot be as much as an inch or two longer than the front legs?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 6:43 pm    

Les Cargill wrote:
Is there a reason that the back legs cannot be as much as an inch or two longer than the front legs?

No, but there would be a pretty severe angle from back to front.

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 7:33 pm    

I have 2 Sho-Bud Pro 3's. On the one I use at home, I use an old Fender volume/tone pedal and on my giging guitar I use either a Sho-bud or here lately I've been using a Hilton pedal. I also have a prototype of a pedal that the late Ed Naylor was going to make based on a low profile Goodrich. I have no problems switching between any of them, and I wear cowboy boots when I play.

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 7:44 pm     Follow up

Mr. Sission
Thanks for feed back. I thought about low profile vp and may do that but may need lift too. I see the one inch lift. It appears the collars lift the ped board and the thread nuts extend the rod down to achieve the before height off the floor.

Mr. Car gill:
Appreciate your comment. I tried that enough to slide leg under the steel with the vp and the tilt was pretty severe. That's when I saw that jacking all legs up would bring the ped board way up. I decided to back off and play barefoot for now.

Mr. Sinker:
You are correct. The angle was so severe It looked weird. I saw then it was going to take some fiddling or maybe I should say steeling to remedy this if I wanted to wear boots...lol.

Thanks to all and I will consider options. Maybe the Emmons since it was used had longer rods. I had a Goodrich or Emmons vp. Can't remember which. What is unique is the height is pretty good on the peds for the heel of the boot and the levers pretty good when barefoot on the vp....lol. At least I can work on some things. I am disabled and retired and have been really enjoying myself with the steel and trying to get situated. I have time now to work on things.

I appreciate the forum too. When I was playing there wasn't such a thing. Thanks
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 8:05 pm    

Yes, the off sets make the rods longer. Go to this link and you can see how the collars work.

http://www.markvanallen.com/tips.html

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 2:35 am     Thanks

Mr. Sisson and others thanks. I can play in tennis shoes and be okay. Got to kind of watch left foot and keep kind of lifted up more than with boots. I am going to talk with that guy who is having some harmonics with some notes. I am having same thing. I have a new Fender twin reverb so my practice amp magnified it but it is still there. Tried volumes adjust on amp and volume pedal. Changed most strings. Omitted volume pedal checking with no volume. Changed size of bars. Both these new. Still have some unique noise at times. Mainly on the G# string. Little on the F# string. Otherwise pretty good.

I am thinking it is in the pickup but maybe the tone knob on side but the knob doesn't seem to do a lot of effect. Hate to change out original pickups. Surely there's a better way.

Does anybody know what the little switch below the neck switch does ? It doesn't seem to affect it much. But in my experimentation maybe not hearing it.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 11:50 am    

Quote:
Mr. Sinker:
You are correct. The angle was so severe It looked weird. I saw then it was going to take some fiddling or maybe I should say steeling to remedy this if I wanted to wear boots...lol.

Not only would it look funny, but you would have to sit higher and still have to angle your hand downward at the wrist, I can see that giving lots of pain.[/quote]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 1:44 pm    

The old Sho~Bud and Bigsby pedals may have looked cool, but they were a crappy design for a sit-down steeler. They were way too high, and they were also pretty heavy and clunky to carry around. Do yourself a favor and get a modern low-profile pedal, either a pot or powered type, and your playing will be far more enjoyable. Winking

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 4:49 pm     Thanks

Thanks to you Mr. Hinson. I will probably look at that. I guess I was wanting to go kind of vintage getting back into this. I could find a couple of Sho Buds so I was going to try them. I think I had either an Emmons or a Goodrich years back..but not sure. I would like to not spend a fortune on a vp. But maybe it's the way to go. Actually, I am an older guy and I am feeing like a rebel kind of with one boot and one bare foot. I do have better control with my bare foot on the vp. I tried to use bare foot on the AB pedals but that not going to happen...lol.

Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 6:39 pm    

Check out the footware study currently on this site:
http://www.steelguitardownunder.com/

Personally, I would never attach the volume pedal to the front pedal bar because the position relative to the front bar also controls your ankle angle and this is fairly important (for comfort and control). I have three steels and each one needs the VP in a different position to suit me. Likewise the heel length/height of boots does also. I can't play with 'heels' at all these days. (Maybe I should re-phrase that lol).

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 7:18 pm     Thanks

Thanks for your comment. Visited your site. Thanks

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 10:13 pm    

Wayne, I have posted this before, but here it is again. I have a LDG. You can extend the legs with no problem. Now you can make your rods longer, and it will cost about $2 a rod. Go to a hardware store, and buy a rod coupling for each rod. Then however long you extend the legs, buy some all thread, or a machine screw longer than the distance you extended the legs. Cut the head part of the screw off, so the threaded part is the distance you extended the legs. Buy some nuts the same size for locking the new piece onto the coupling. Very simple to do. Example: if you extend the legs 1 and 1/2", buy a machine screw 2" long. cut the head, and 1/2" of thread off. That leaves you with a piece of rod, 1 and 1/2". Screw into the rod coupling 1/2 way and your long rod will screw into the coupling the other 1/2.

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 6:15 am     Thanks

Thank you Mr.Boettcher. That is good comment. Getting situated back into all this has been interesting. I have gotten most my stuff online and it has come in piece by piece. So until I got the vp I didn't know my leg wouldn't fit under with boots on...lol. I know everything is adjustable but I kind of liked the peds down low for now anyway. I will reread the post and try to picture the fix. I wanted right now to check out the sound and get back into playing. So I use my bare foot or low profile shoe...lol. I actually like using my bare foot. I seem to have better feel for the pedal. I am an old disabled guy and wanted to try Sho Bud and got a Sho Bud vp. I am sure that a new Goodrich or Hilton would be different but I like vintage. I may try a new vp but having fun now. You guys are great.