The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aging does horrible things to a guy...................
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 1:10 pm    

Getting old is simply NOT FUN!

While rearranging my reasonably large record collection this past couple of weeks following our move to a new abode, I was truly shocked to realize that nearly all of my 'idols' are no longer with us.

That which was once my proud and protected source of musical thoughts, pleasures and/or playing techniques in reality has turned into a morgue of once great musicians that down thro' the years had offered and provided me with inspiration and 'hope'......

Those that I always held in the highest esteem, folks like Red Foley, Ernest Tubb, Cowboy Copas, Marty Robbins, Grady Martin, Chet Atkins, Homer & Jethro, Jerry Byrd, Speedy West, Zeke Turner, Dale Potter and countless others are no longer here.

While we're very fortunate indeed, to have these fabulous records, it is none the less a real shock to realize how quickly time goes by and how the future of our dreams has suddenly turned into little more than a historical record repository.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 4:00 pm    

At 59 I totally understand but be glad it's you talking about them and not us talking about you.

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 4:24 pm     Wait till you hit 85 !!!

Ray , I know your feelings !! Almost all the singers and guitar players I worked with over the years are all passed on !! I still would love to play out on a "gig" but there isn't anyone left to give me a call !! I am lucky that I have connected with an 80 year old friend and we still do Farmers Markets and some nursing homes to keep the Olde Traditional music alive !! And I still have all those olde "78rpms"records to play !! - the survivor = olde geeze - AKA Eddie "C"

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 9:15 pm    

Tinnitus has pretty much killed me off. It's much louder than people normally speak. They think I'm deaf, but Im not really. If things are loud enough to overcome the noises in my head, my pitch is still reads on. But I avoid anything loud. No more skeet/trap, even with hearing protection. No clubs. I don't play much anymore, and I used to gig 6/7 nights a week, for 6 hours a night. Ride cymbals did me in. Lloyd said he got over it! Wish I knew how! Miss John.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 11:45 pm    

Ray, just be happy that you are still here. We on the Forum are Smile

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 10:08 am    

I'm just coming up to 69 and I don't feel much different than when I was 19 except that I tire out quicker. Unfortunately I've heard that said by people who are no longer with us. What bothers me most is being an orphan, with my parents and all my aunts and uncles gone. In fact the only relatives I still have back in England are distant cousins who I remember as kids, and their children who are complete strangers to me. One of my cousins came over to visit a few years back with his wife and children. When I drove over to his hotel to pick him up I found a bald, middle-aged man who I remembered as a little boy of 8.
Fortunately, most of my friends I went to school with, and they're all the same age as me and still active. I try to get back there and visit them at least once a year and we put the old group back together again. I find that we pick up the old numbers and the arrangements that we made as though we had just played them yesterday. To others, of course, we just look like a bunch of old fogies left over from the 60s. Crying or Very sad

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 11:45 am    

at 66 and a mess of health issues, today i have a really stiff neck, i'm about deaf and i look like this!
...and you're complaining? Laughing

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 12:12 pm    

Chris!
You look better than I do! Check my avatar!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 1:39 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
at 66 and a mess of health issues, today i have a really stiff neck, i'm about deaf and i look like this!

So you've got that going for you... which is nice.

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 2:53 pm     Re: Aging does horrible things to a guy...................

Ray Montee wrote:
Getting old is simply NOT FUN!

While rearranging my reasonably large record collection this past couple of weeks following our move to a new abode, I was truly shocked to realize that nearly all of my 'idols' are no longer with us.

That which was once my proud and protected source of musical thoughts, pleasures and/or playing techniques in reality has turned into a morgue of once great musicians that down thro' the years had offered and provided me with inspiration and 'hope'......

Those that I always held in the highest esteem, folks like Red Foley, Ernest Tubb, Cowboy Copas, Marty Robbins, Grady Martin, Chet Atkins, Homer & Jethro, Jerry Byrd, Speedy West, Zeke Turner, Dale Potter and countless others are no longer here.

While we're very fortunate indeed, to have these fabulous records, it is none the less a real shock to realize how quickly time goes by and how the future of our dreams has suddenly turned into little more than a historical record repository.

Ray: Old age is no fun. I agree. Count your blessing. Your here for a reason. Make the best of it !

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 6:38 pm     chris ivey

chris ivey you look pretty healthy to me. why not try doing some acting. you'd make a great looking cowboy! steve t

steve takacs

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 6:39 pm     chris ivey

chris ivey you look pretty healthy to me. why not try doing some acting. you'd make a great looking cowboy! steve t

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 7:18 pm    

The class of 57 had it dreams. The 50’s were the best and the happiest of all times.
John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, George Jones, Chet Atkins, Elvis etc. all the stars I grew up with, and just about all the folks of the 50’s are gone.
We retired and died and left the US in good shape.
Then the Woodstock folks turned it all to a big steaming pile of sht and now they are retiring leaving my grandkids up to their necks in it.
It has nothing to do with whether I like or dislike the music it’s just that I’ve long since grown tired of those folks and today’s stars making a fortune performing for an hour and spending the rest of the time yelling how bad America is.
Those folks I don’t miss.

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 10:11 pm    

Sorry 'bout that Bo...

Piece Oh Well

steve takacs

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 12:50 am     woodstock

bo, i was under the impression that there were a number of individuals and bands that were quite good musicians who entertained. in fact, some continue ro perform to this day. also,for how many hundreds of thousands who attended, from what i have read, it was a rather lawbiding three days..

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 10:03 am    

Bo Legg wrote:
The class of 57 had it dreams. The 50’s were the best and the happiest of all times...

"Tear down the mailbox, rip up the floor,
Smash out the windows and knock down the door.
We're gonna rock, rock this joint..."

From Bill Haley, 1953. Unfortunately the audience followed his lead and did just that, which got him banned from many theatres and thrown out of Germany. Very Happy Laughing
I'm from your era, Bo. The 50's were a great time, but rock and roll got itself a bad name before the 60s generation. Laughing

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 11:54 am    

Heck the bad name was why it was cool...
As to Ray's point, getting old sure beats the alternative!