The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  **please close**
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2014 12:34 pm    

I'm thinking about letting it go and was wondering what it might be worth. I think Fender called the double 6 string something else.
blonde, 1966 (dated in cavity), case w/key, good condition, signed by Jody Carver (visited him a few times, he played it)

thanks, Ron

Last edited by Ron Victoria on 16 Sep 2014 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

William Hoff

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 2:54 am    

It's in a lot better condition than mine. I would think they should bring $800 to $1000 in that shape with a good case and legs. Let me know if you decide to sell it, I might be interested.

William Hoff

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 2:55 am    

Dual post

Last edited by William Hoff on 15 Sep 2014 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total

Dan Carey

Mahopac N.Y
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 5:25 am     Fender Double

If this beauty has the tone blend switches it is a Dual six string Stringmaster and this is rare

Few if any are around.

Hope this helps

Dan

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 5:27 am    

It does have the Stringmaster blend knobs and everything works. Wouldn't the signature add to the value?

Dan Carey

Mahopac N.Y
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 5:45 am     Fender Double

Yes, if Jody Carver signed it will be worth more to someone as he is a member of the Steel Guitar Hall of fame and a former Fender salesman...that is for the prospective buyer if he or she is interested see here

www.jodycarver.com

William Hoff

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 8:52 am    

So if it has a blend control it's a Stringmaster, and without it's a Dual 6 Professional?

I'm glad someone has made a definite distinction.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 9:13 am    

It's not a Stringmaster, it's a Dual 6 (with Stringmaster features). It's exactly like a Stringmaster in every way, except it's a D-6, not a D-8. This has been a source of confusion in recent years. In the Fender catalogs of the day this was listed as a Dual Six. Stringmasters had 8 strings (and either 2,3, or 4 necks). There was no such thing as a 6-string Stringmaster... BUT... history has been rewritten in recent years by owners and sellers. A lot of players now refer to the Dual 6 as a D-6 Stringmaster. It makes perfect sense, actually. We need some way to describe the later (mid 50s and on) D-6 from the earlier (trapezoid PU) D-6. Same thing with the Fender Deluxe - single 8. There was an early version and a later one (with Stringmaster features). Saying "Deluxe 8" is not specific enough. So players who have the later version of the Deluxe 8 now say they have a single neck Stringmaster. Oh Well

Dan Carey

Mahopac N.Y
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 11:57 am     Dual Pro

Dual Pro with Traps

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:16 pm    

I think "Dual Pro" is another misused name sometimes. The very early D8s said "Dual Professional" on the FENDER logo plate. Hence the shortened name Dual Pro. But most of the trapazoid PU D-8s say FENDER, Fullerton Cal. on the logo plate. They don't say Dual Professional. Nowadays we call ALL the Fender D-8s of this era Dual Pros. I'd be interested to know what the Fender catalogs from this era called that D-8 after they no longer said "Dual Professional" on them.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:31 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I think "Dual Pro" is another misused name sometimes. The very early D8s said "Dual Professional" on the FENDER logo plate. Hence the shortened name Dual Pro. But most of the trapazoid PU D-8s say FENDER, Fullerton Cal. on the logo plate. They don't say Dual Professional. Nowadays we call ALL the Fender D-8s of this era Dual Pros. I'd be interested to know what the Fender catalogs from this era called that D-8 after they no longer said "Dual Professional" on them.

In the 1954 catalogue which introduces the Stringmaster, it also includes the earlier style which they call the Dual 6 and Dual 8 Professional.

Interestingly, the illustrations show a guitar with Roman numerals on the neck and trapezoid pickups (which as far as I can tell never existed and was certainly not an option in 1954) as well as one with the more common style with Stringmaster style fretboard markings.

Dan Carey

Mahopac N.Y
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:34 pm     Dual Pro With Box Cars

Dual Pro with Box Car pups

William Hoff

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:38 pm    

The Vintage Guitar Price guide specifically says Stringmaster (6 string option available on double neck version). So confusing,

William Hoff

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:40 pm    

Dual post

Last edited by William Hoff on 16 Sep 2014 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Dan Carey

Mahopac N.Y
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:42 pm    

I beg to differ with you

Forumite John Hanusch has a dual pro with Roman Numerals do a search for John

Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 1:02 pm    

William Hoff wrote:
The Vintage Guitar Price guide specifically says Stringmaster (6 string option available on double neck version). So confusing,

Yet the ACTUAL FENDER CATALOG (i.e. the folks that INVENTED it) calls it a DUAL SIX.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 1:21 pm    

Dan Carey wrote:
I beg to differ with you

Forumite John Hanusch has a dual pro with Roman Numerals do a search for John

I wasn't saying the Dual Pro didn't have Roman numerals - the early ones with the box pickups (like the one pictured a few posts back) did.

I was talking about the one in the catalog that shows Roman numerals with the trapezoid shape pickups which I have never seen and did not think existed.

As I understood it, the timeline was:
Roman numerals box pickup -> "Stringmaster style" markings with box pickup -> "Stringmaster style" markings with trapezoid pickup.

The catalogue shows Roman numerals with trapezoid which is not part of that timeline.

If you are saying that the pickup shape changed before the fretboard markings I stand corrected but maintain that the combination shown in the 1954 catalogue was definitely not available at that time.

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 1:41 pm    

Seeing how the market is slow, I will just put it back in the closet for a while now.
Ron

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 4:56 pm    

Like we've discussed in other threads, Fender used up all parts on hand. There was a lot of crossover of parts and transitional years. I'm not surprised that a Roman numeral fretboard ended up on a D-8 with trapazoid pickups. Evidently Leo didn't worry about things like that. This is why it's so hard to pinpoint an exact year by a guitar's features. The pencil date and the pot codes are the most accurate way.

It's interesting to find out that the 1954 catalog called the old style D-8 a Dual 8 Professional, even after the logo plate no longer said "Dual Professional" on it. I never thought of my 1952 D-8 as a Dual Pro because it does not say Dual Professional on it. I've owned three of the early ones, late 1940s, no legs (legs were optional at that time), Dual Professional logo, boxcar PUs, Roman numeral fret markers.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 5:02 pm    

Regarding the value of the Dual 6... they usually sell for slightly less than a Stringmaster. I have seen a couple sell high in the past though because they are rare and there are a few players out there who prefer a double 6 console. You just need the right buyer to come along. It's a rare guitar, but not in high demand IMO.

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 8:39 am    

Confused
What model would you call my double neck 6 with blend control? Purchased new in '56 or '57.
Very Happy Wally Pfeifer

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 9:59 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Like we've discussed in other threads, Fender used up all parts on hand...

...and they didn't just stop with steel guitars. Their solid guitar line was also hybridized from time to time, and sometimes they would create an entire new line just to use up parts from guitar models that wouldn't sell.

Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 11:07 am    

Wally Pfeifer wrote:

Confused
What model would you call my double neck 6 with blend control? Purchased new in '56 or '57.
Very Happy Wally Pfeifer

Wally,
Yours looks identical to the one in the Fender Catalog page pictured a few posts up, so I'm guessing yours would be called a Dual Six.

William Hoff

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 2:48 pm    

Not trying to be an idiot, I would like to use the posted ad Steve has posted on here. Read the very first line of copy. If that doesn't mean that it is a 6 string Stringmaster, then I am befuddled. I think it should be called a Dual Six Stringmaster.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 2:57 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
...they usually sell for slightly less than a Stringmaster ...there are a few players out there who prefer a double 6 console. ...It's ... not in high demand IMO.

I have to wonder why Fender built them at all. Six strings are so restrictive.