The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Maverick - worth it?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 5:27 pm    

The crossover has a lever on the back apron of the guitars. When you flip the lever, all the pedals and knee lever(s) switch from one neck to the other. Some say it's one of the better sounding Bud's. But, if the mechanics aren't set up just right, you're probably going to have to learn to work on it or send it to someone who can. You probably won't find many on here that would recommend a crossover for a first guitar.

Dan Dunne

Asheville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 6:09 pm    

Thanks! That's exactly what I was envisioning that a crossover would do. I know the crossover is disconnected in this one, using some levers/pedals for one neck and the others for the other neck. Not sure how that is going to affect playability.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 7:26 pm    

I've heard of people doing that with crossovers. I would think that would work out OK. I'll have to check out that link.

Just a suggestion. You might want to start a new thread about the crossover. There are some real experts on Sho~Buds on here that might not look at a thread about Mavericks.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 3:16 am    

There's a reason so many steel players avoid Sho-Bud Crossovers like the plague. I know I do.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 4:22 am    

The Crossover in question is a fine instrument.

Don't be alarmed that the crossover "engage" is not connected...

Crossovers are "Professionals" with fixed racks...the racks drop in and adjustments to specif knee racks cannot be moved to fit the player, but they are fine sounding and playing instruments, I believe the earliest rack and barrel systems. Don't be afraid of it unless you have no intention of playing on the lower ten...

Racks with barrels allow for pretty much any configuration desired...it really doesn't matter how it is set up today..tomorrow it can be totally different with minimum effort. There is years worth of music on the Crossover...maybe even a lifetime...

If a 3+4 student Steel is still the primary consideration, the Stage One ( had one , liked it ) and the GFI students are excellent choices. Modern era all pull systems...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 4:55 am    

Quote:
Topic: Sho Bud Maverick - worth it?

Yes, I'd take it...in a heartbeat. It's a chance for you to get into learning pedal steel without losing any money. In fact, you'd probably make money when you sold it, and that's a good thing! There's a lot of music in a 3+1 guitar, but I'll admit it's pretty hard these days to find a teacher that doesn't stutter unless he has 4 or 5 knee levers.

My theory is that when you're starting out, having less on the guitar allows you concentrate more on your hands, and that where the real music is! Wink

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 9:41 am    

Quote:
My theory is that when you're starting out, having less on the guitar allows you concentrate more on your hands, and that where the real music is!

Those are real words of wisdon right there from Donny!!!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 9:58 am    

There went your reputation, Bud. Mr. Green

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 11:59 am    

Dan Dunne wrote:
...What's the deal with the crossover? I'm not exactly sure what that means...

Richard explained the Crossover mechanism. My second steel was a Crossover. I now have two of them. Wonderful instruments. I've been told that if you take them on the road they can take time to set up, but I never take mine on the road. I keep it set up at home in my music den. Once it's set up it stays that way. I wouldn't trade them for the world. A normal double-necked pedal steel with eight pedals seems to be a lot, but as four are for each neck they're only really four pedal instruments, and the pedals for the C6 neck are so far to the right that you end up in an uncomfortable playing position. With the Crossover's eight pedals and one knee lever, you have the equivalent of sixteen pedals and two knee levers, as all the pedals can be set up for both necks. But there's another big advantage. When you flip the switch over to the C6 neck you can play in C6 in the same, comfortable position as you do in E9. There's no shuffling over to the right.

And after all that, remember that the sound is outstanding. Cool

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 12:22 pm    

Thanks for the input! I'm still keeping all options open.

In no particular order
1) Maverick - haven't heard back from the guy in a few days
2) Sho Bud crossover - considering this if I can raise the cash quickly enough
3) Stage One Zum Steel - only $1050 new, maybe less fiddling needed...learn on this and then move on if more guitar is needed
4) Do nothing (right Alan?!)

I'm liking option 3 a lot right now, but we'll see! I still have that Sho Bud fetish...

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 1:42 pm    

Get The Zum Stage One, better guitar. Forget the Maverick. The guy probably sold it. You need to
raise and lower those E's like Tony said. It looks
Like the Maverick knee lever lowers 2 and 8. Useless. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 1:59 pm    

Lee Dassow wrote:
...You need to raise and lower those E's like Tony said...

Rmember, that if you buy the Crossover it only has one knee lever, in the 4th position, so you would need to set that change onto a pedal. You have plenty of them, of course...

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 2:50 pm    

Alan... The crossover he is looking at has a link on the first page of this post. It has 7 pedals and 4 knee levers. You can see the stuff for the 8th pedal is still there. The crossover has been disbled. Heck, if I had the the money, I would buy it. But I am familiar with a rack and barrel system and can make any adjustments it might need.

Dan... If you have a little mechanical aptitude, you can learn to adjust things if needed. It's really not that hard unless there is a major problem. If you don't understand the system, there are many knowledgable people on the forum that are happy to help advise you what to do.

If it were me, my order of consideration would be:
1) Stage One (if I had no interest in C6). The Crossover Bud (if I did want C6)
2) whichever one I didn't choose in #1.
3) Maverick

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 3:27 pm    

Thanks again for the advice all. I have some aptitude...not a lot...but I've worked some on my Firebird so I think I could handle the adjustments with some help. It does appeal to me to have the C6 option. And then there's the Sho Bud fetish...

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 5:15 pm    

All right...it's getting close...down to the Stage One or the Sho Bud Crossover...I'm liking the Sho Bud at this point.

1) Killer tone
2) Love the looks
3) Will hold its value better (I think) since it has taken its depreciation hit already...the Stage One won't decrease in value by much though...probably a few hundred $$
4) Cool factor/fulfills lifelong Sho Bud fetish
5) Crossover allows for endless configurations, although work will be involved

As long as the Sho bud can be counted on to stay in tune, I'm fine with doing a little tinkering on it. I probably don't want to do much AT FIRST...I just want to play...so as long as it is currently set up to be a good player for a beginner, I can worry about the tinkering later.

Of course the Stage One pros
1) Should be dead-nuts reliable
2) Less complicated for a beginner

If there are any final votes, let's hear 'em!

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 5:40 pm    

I'm curious how you intend to learn the pedal steel.

If you intend to use modern instructional material, either tab or online I'd be hard pressed to recall anything available today that doesn't require a standard E9 configuration of 3 pedals and 4 knees.

I'd consider first learning on a modern, reliable guitar. Get comfortable. Obtain proficiency.

If after a time if you want to tinker with vintage and/or non standard configurations you can go for it.

Why handicap yourself?

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 5:47 pm    

This particular Sho Bud has the crossover disconnected and does have 3 pedals and 4 knee levers on the E9 neck, if I'm not mistaken. Did you check the link earlier in the thread to look at the instrument? Maybe I'm missing something. I'm under the impression that at least the E9 neck is set up in basically a "standard" configuration, that any beginner could learn on. Please correct me if I'm wrong! I'll worry about the C6 neck later.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 5:51 pm    

Quote:
I'd consider first learning on a modern, reliable guitar.

h

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 5:57 pm    

So the Sho Buds are inherantly unreliable? I've heard conflicting opinions. If I'm certainly, without a doubt, going to have problems and have to tinker, I would agree...I'd go with the modern guitar. I just don't see the Sho Bud being that unreliable if it's already set up as 3+4 and it's going to be sitting in my basement, not moved around a bunch. I won't be playing gigs anytime soon, lol. So I would think that if it's set up with a "standard" tuning/copedent that a beginner could work with and it stays in tune, I'm okay with it.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 6:03 pm    

If in good shape, they're reliable. But it IS 40 years old.

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 6:06 pm    

True. Most of the "good" stuff I have is old, so I'm used to a few problems here and there. My '69 Firebird. My jukebox from the 70s. My speakers are from 1986. My Fender Pro from the '60s. But yeah, I hear ya. Decisions. I'm not dead set either way but that Sho Bud is just so pretty, lol. As long as it's set up where a beginner could play the E9 neck, I think I'd go with it.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 6:06 pm    

I'm not arguing.

You asked for opinions. I gave mine. I don't know any more about that individual guitar then you do.

I personally wanted to learn to play the pedal steel as quickly as possible and didn't want down time due to mechanical issues.

I learned to tinker eventually, when it wouldn't get in the way of playing. You'll need to adjust, lube,etc any guitar eventually.

Make it later than sooner.

h

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 6:18 pm    

I do appreciate your opinions. This is a great resource and I appreciate everyone for this discussion. Thanks for humoring me. It is definitely important to have a guitar that is going to be suitable for a beginner. How often does one play C6 vs. E9? Maybe I'm putting too much importance on having 2 necks.

And also tone...is the Sho Bud tone going to be all that different from the Stage One tone? I keep hearing about the killer Sho Bud tone, but I wonder how different it will be.

Trying to keep in mind that playability should be the focus. Buying a regular guitar wasn't quite this complicated!

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 6:35 pm    

Quote:
How often does one play C6 vs. E9?

Don't know about "one". I love C6. Some players don't use it at all and/or play S(D)-10's, E9 only.

Step back a minute:

Why do you want to play the pedal steel?
What style(s)(genres) do you want to play?
Budget for everything?
What type of instruction do you intend to pursue?

Answer those questions and you should have a pretty fair idea what type of guitar will be best suited for your purpose.

This is the very first post in the crossover ad:

Quote:
I'm a new player and I don't believe this guitar is what I need.

Maybe you should find out why. It won't cost anything to contact the seller.

h

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 6:49 pm    

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1) Why do I want to play the pedal steel? - I love the sound. I love music. I love old honky tonk and Flying Burrito Bros type music. Playing music in general is a stress reliever for me. I may never play a gig, but just playing is relaxing.

2) I think I answered this already in #1. Honky tonk music, primarily. At least for now. Maybe some Hawaiian sounding stuff? Sleepwalk?

3) Budget is flexible. I'd like to get the guitar first. I don't immediately need a stool. Is a volume pedal a 100% requirement? Right away? I doubt it. Anyway, the Stage One and the Sho Bud are the same price so if we're just talking those two guitars, it doesn't matter. Let's say $1200 for a guitar, and I can spend several hundred on accessories over the subsequent following months.

4) Instruction - as much online stuff as possible. I've heard Jeff Newman makes some good instructional materials. If possible, I may try to find a local instructor and take some lessons. Maybe not immediately, but I know an instructor I could hook up with back in Iowa when we move back there in a few years. He plays with the Mississippi Band. Portability might be important if I do take lessons and definitely if I play gigs. If this crossover model (Sho Bud) is going to be a bear to travel with, that would be a definite "con!"

The seller seemed to imply that he "wasn't getting the most out of the guitar." maybe "too much guitar" for him. I could ask more specifically why he felt that way, though.