The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Maverick - worth it?
Dan Dunne

Asheville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 12:49 pm    

First off, I want to apologize. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death. I've been wanting to get a pedal steel for a LONG time, and now I have an opportunity. However, it is a lower-end model, a Sho Bud Maverick. Asking price is $1100 (I know, I know!), but that comes with a seat, volume pedal, bar, 6 books. Now, he has lowered his cash price to $800, or he will trade me for my stereo gear. I have only paid around $375 for this gear, although it is probably worth more than that on the market.

"Option 1" - SO, would you trade the stereo gear for the Maverick? It is definitely the "quickest" way for me to get into pedal steel. The guy is willing to take my trade. I really like my stereo, but it is my "2nd" stereo...I have a better main system. And I could have a steel in my house as early as this weekend, with everything needed to get started. Downside is that this steel is the "ugly green" color, nothing special at all...

"Option 2" - I would really like to buy a Sho Bud III (D10) from the forum here, but it's $1200 and would require me selling the stereo + some other stuff on the open market, hoping I get close to enough to pay for it, and hoping it doesn't get sold in the meantime. The risk is that the stereo items never get sold or don't sell for NEARLY enough, and I don't get a steel for a long time (again). Also it won't come with any accessories...although I can get by with just needing to buy a bar in the short term...

What do y'all think? Option 1 or Option 2? Take the sure thing and get started now (option 1) or save up for the better steel and wait a long time, and maybe end up never getting started (option 2)?

For the record, I'm planning on letting things play out for a few days...see if I get any "bites" on my stereo gear on the open market. If everything sells, I go for option 2. If I'm not getting any bites, I might concede and buy the Maverick.

George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:32 pm    

Dan,
Are you sure it's a Maverick?
The only reason I ask is because I thought that the Maverics came with either the contact paper (brown) or plain and I don't recall any in a Green?
Of course I could be totally wrong about this.
George

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:33 pm    

Don't buy the Maverick. Have a little patience, save your money, and wait to find a better guitar.If you are on a tight budget, I would not buy any Sho-Bud, most are overpriced or need a lot of work. It's important to get a guitar that is in playing condition. Good luck to you.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:38 pm    

I'd say the stereo is an adequate trade, but (depending on your progress) it's a matter of months and not years before the lack of additional knees becomes a major source of frustration.
The fact is there is a LOT of music to be made on the Mav, but there's a LOT that it can't do (unless you're really good).
I have no idea of your financial situation, but I think I'd recommend the following course:
1) trade stereo for Mav, start learning these things
2) talk to your bank, divert $30/week to a savings account before your paycheck even hits your checking account. In 8 months there's over a grand for your next guitar.
If you can't swing that much of a diversion, you might want to hold off for a while: Bill has a good point. Starting with a cheap guitar can be a problem, as you can end up with a repair project instead of a working guitar.
Do a forum search on the threads started by a Jim Williams.

Last edited by Lane Gray on 10 Sep 2014 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:42 pm    

I predict you will get several dozen replies to this effect: Do whatever it takes to get a professional steel.

---------

(Emmons Student models are pretty great, but even at $1000 or so, light years beyond an $800 Maverick.)

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:44 pm    

I would do the trade. You can always sell the Maverick later for more than the stereo. The contact paper ones are really ugly. That sounds like what it is.

I agree with taking a little more time and get enough to get a good used guitar.

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:45 pm    

Hey George,
Thanks for the reply. Maybe it is a brown...kind of like an "army" color scheme, lol. Yeah, it's not the pretty green like an LDG...it's the brown.

Thanks too for the reply, Bill!

I'm just so torn here. Been wanting one forever, and to only have to spend $375 to get one...it's hard to pass up. But you're probably right. I should hold out. Maybe my stereo will sell and I can buy the Sho Bud III. So Bill, I know you're not a fan of Sho Buds...for some reason I am fixated on that brand...I guess I like the looks, and I hear the tone is killer. Of course playability is also a major factor...I want to be playing the guitar a lot more than working on it...

I thought I might also solicit some further opinions while I'm here. I recently inherited a 1960s brownface Fender Pro amp. The only good place I have to set up a music room is in my basement. There are vents down there, and it is air conditioned, plus I have a dehumidifier down there. Think it's okay to keep vintage electronics down there, like the amp? I've had others say "no way in hell" lol. I do have a humidity sensor down there and also upstairs. My upstairs is usually around 50-55% and downstairs is 60-65%. I would really like to set up a room down there because I think I would play a lot more. But I'd rather wait until we move to a new place than ruin the amp.

Thanks again for all the input!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:49 pm    

I'm no electronics guru, but I bet if you left it on and in standby, it'd stay dry.

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:49 pm    

Thanks for the replies all!

I'm kind of thinking like Lane right now...maybe a good idea to just get one and get started, knowing I will sell it within a year or so and upgrade. Otherwise I fear I might never get started. Playing a Maverick is better than playing nothing, right? Lol.

But the stereo IS really nice (not sure if anyone here is into stereos). But like I said, I have a better one upstairs.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:59 pm    

Dan Dunne wrote:
Thanks for the replies all!

I'm kind of thinking like Lane right now...maybe a good idea to just get one and get started, knowing I will sell it within a year or so and upgrade. Otherwise I fear I might never get started. Playing a Maverick is better than playing nothing, right? Lol.

But the stereo IS really nice (not sure if anyone here is into stereos). But like I said, I have a better one upstairs.

It's probably worth the trade if you are aware of it's limitations, and know you will want to sell it later. The other question I would ask is, is it mechanically in good shape. One that isn't will do it's best to get you discouraged and give up.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 2:10 pm    

I notice you don't say where in Ohio, but there are steel players all over the state, and one may well be available to look at it and verify it IS in playable condition.
If possible, get a player to do this.
A LOT of us are willing to do this. If you're near Dayton, I could do this Saturday the 2nd.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 2:25 pm    

I recommend Option [3], do nothing.

(Maybe you'd like to join my Procrastination Workshop. Winking )

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 10:24 pm    

I would have to say that playing a maverick is NOT better than nothing. Just pay a bit more and get a real steel.

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 12:27 am    

Thanks for the replies, everyone...I really do appreciate it. I know very little about pedal steel, other than I love the sound. Listening to my buddy's dad's Gram Parsons records back in college started it all. In turn I got my GRANDPA into GP and John Prine...isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Haha.

I almost bought a LDG on here when I had more money (just got a big work bonus) but ended up buying an expensive mountain bike instead...thought I should try to stay in shape.

I've been looking at exclusively Sho Bud's so far...for some reason I'm fixated on that brand...I hear a lot of people dissing on them though. Is it because they have inflated prices, relative to their quality? If you had to make a list of pros and cons for the Sho Bud line, how would it look? Here's what I'm hearing/finding:
Cons
1) Inflated prices
2) Aren't made anymore so maybe not easy to find service
3) Many don't stay in tune

Pros
1) "Killer" tone
2) Good looking (IMO)

Still considering my options. Really the only reason I'm considering the Maverick is that I can get it (and all accessories) for basically $375. I don't know how I could possibly get into pedal steel for cheaper than that. If I don't make this deal, I could foresee that it might take YEARS before I get a steel...my family just has a lot more pressing needs for that money (including a new mattress, which is probably why I'm up right now!) Although Lane is right too...I can still sell the stereo (or not) and just start diverting $30/week towards a good steel...I can afford that, but might feel a little guilty that I'm not saving that money for some other use. Ahh, decisions.

And thanks for the offer to inspect the steel, Lane! But I need to update my info on here. I live in the Asheville, NC area now. Beautiful country down here, and I'm sure some steel players, although the area is more known for bluegrass.

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 12:32 am    

Also I've got an offer to sell me a Carter Starter for $500...but again I'm kind of focused on the Sho Bud brand. Thanks again, all. Sorry to beat this dead horse. Maybe I'll listen to some GP for inspiration.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 1:00 am    

The build quality is higher on the Bud, with a solid stop the n one knee.
While Bud has been out of business some 30 years, James Morehead is making parts for all the pro models, although I don't know if he does Maverick parts.
The only real downside is that a newbie might not know whether a Bud has been rebuilt or needs it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 2:35 am    

The Carter Starter and the Maverick are student Steels, not LOW END...the only thing they have in common with the Sr. PRO Steels is the brand name.

My take is that a Maverick at that kinda money is too close to a a PRO Model, be at an older MSA, BMI etc...or even a new GFI Student, or a Stage One...

yes , many of us learned on a Maverick back then but quickly came to the conclusion that all of the kool phrases that "hooked" us to Pedal Steel could not actually be played on the Maverick and the Maverick cannot have parts added to it , as it is not a PRO system.

Do consider this in your journey.. When most of us started there were no 3+4 student steels available, I am thinking they were all 3+0 or 3+1..The student instruments have evolved since then.

Can you learn, sure, can you acquire the ABC Ped executions ?sure...But what we are hearing on our favorite records is the interaction of the ABC PEDS and a couple of Knee Levers, especially the raise and lower of the E's.

My take, save a few bucks and seek one of the more recent manufactured student guitars with 3 + 4..it may not be the cats meow for quality and tone but it will allow you to progress well past the 3+1 or 3+0 conundrum...which , if you are a serious student, you will reach that point in 6 months...and be right back where you are now...being...

which steel should I buy !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 3:20 am    

Tony is correct. (Hi Tony.) Today's student guitars have 4 knee levers,and today's instructional material is written for that many.

If you get a Maverick, it will only be a matter of time before you read something that will tell you to use one of the other knee levers, and if you don't have it, you will be frustrated. You want a guitar with 4 knee levers.

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 4:13 am    

All right! The voices of reason have spoken. I think I will heed the advice of the masses and find a way to round up at least $1200 or so and look for a good pro model. It would be TERRIBLY frustrating to find a really cool lick I want to learn and not be able to do it...not used to that kind of thing on a regular guitar. So let's say I manage to get $1200 or so and can find a pro model Sho Bud for that price...is that a good purchase? Or would my money be better spent elsewhere? Keep in mind I have a high bias towards Sho Bud for some reason! I guess tone and looks are important to me...but I do want it to be playable.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 5:41 am    

It's a fair price for a guitar that needs work. It's a great price for a playable guitar. At 12, you're more likely to find MSA/Dekley/GFI /BMI in good shape.
Well, doggies!!
Lookie here!
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=269962

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 6:03 am    

I did see that one! Beautiful guitar. Maybe a little out of my price range for now, but maybe if it's still around for awhile.

I was also looking at this one:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=271368

Although I'm still learning and not entirely sure what this whole crossover business is about, and if it's a big deal or not for this guitar.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 7:25 am    

The Mav is a good starter guitar, IF it's in good operating condition. But not for $1100, no way no how, IMHOP.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 7:27 am    

Dan Dunne wrote:
All right! The voices of reason have spoken. I think I will heed the advice of the masses and find a way to round up at least $1200 or so and look for a good pro model. It would be TERRIBLY frustrating to find a really cool lick I want to learn and not be able to do it...not used to that kind of thing on a regular guitar. So let's say I manage to get $1200 or so and can find a pro model Sho Bud for that price...is that a good purchase? Or would my money be better spent elsewhere? Keep in mind I have a high bias towards Sho Bud for some reason! I guess tone and looks are important to me...but I do want it to be playable.

At 1200, I would consider a stage one or something similar. As a new player, having a guitar that is new and trouble free is a plus. Sho-Buds are great guitars, but don't close your mind to other great guitars.

Dan Dunne

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 7:45 am    

Yeah Bud, that's why I was considering the Mav. I'd only have $375 cash invested. And that includes a pack-away stool and volume pedal...I assume those are normally around $100 each. His cash price is now $800, so it'd be $600 for the guitar, and $100 for each accessory...plus it comes with the bar and 6 books (not worth much, but still nice)...oh yeah and the case!

Still haven't 100% ruled out the Maverick but leaning towards saving up for a good one. The thing is, I may never be more than a casual player, maybe playing a few times a week if I'm lucky...so maybe a Pro model is overkill for me. Just get the Maverick to "get started" and IF I ever get to be a decent player, pick up a better model. I'm just thinking now that limited levers and pedals may be a deal breaker. I'd be ticked if I found a lick I wanted to play and couldn't play it on the Maverick.

Jason King

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 7:51 am    

X2 on the stage one. My son has played his almost everyday since middle of June and it does a great job of staying in tune. Plus its solid, sounds good and easy to play. Another huge plus from my research is that if you take good care of a stage one they will sell quick and you won't loose much money when you do upgrade.

As many of these experienced players have said its a huge plus for me to know that my son can walk in and play and I don't have to worry about working on it and he can focus on learning.