The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Zum Encore
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2016 10:46 am    

After reading Bruce's book, I'm thinking of ordering one of these. My old 60s steels are getting too heavy to move around as I move into my 70s.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 7:20 am    

Just out of curiosity, how would you guys describe/categorize the tone of a Zum?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 7:57 am    

Roughly the same as the other modern steels

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 2:56 pm    

I cant speak for the Encore, but I have a Stage One and the minute I got it home and plugged it in, I was amazed at the great sounds that come out of it...not me, mind you, but the steel itself. I think they are a wonderful guitar...great pedal action, smooth and easy, stays in tune . Highly recommend them to anyone.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 11 Mar 2016 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Robert Dominick

Bradenton, FL
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2016 6:25 pm     My new Zum Encore

Received my new Blue Zum Encore today! it was definitely worth the 4 month wait for this guitar!! Absolutely in love with it! Doug was GREAT to work with too and communicated with me on a regular basis while he was building my guitar! Best "bang for the buck" too IMO! Thanks Doug!!

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 5:49 am     Zum Encore

It was almost two years ago that I rec'd my Zum Encore from Doug...Shortly after,some priorities changed & I didn't have it very long.I just sent Doug my check for Encore #2 & can't wait for it to get here.As with the one in the picture,I got it mainly for the kittie to enjoy,but I think I'll probably be using it regularly @ church.This time around,after a lot of thought,I opted for red instead of black.It was a tough decision though.I love black guitars(black Emmons,black Tele & a black Strat)also love the woodgrain & blue mica.Thought,"hmmm should I go with a black top,woodgrain front apron & blue or red rear apron" but Doug,cat & wife talked me out of that (& no,I wasn't really considering that)....The weight reduction will be nice(I've lost ten lbs myself & this Encore should get me to my goal)

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 8:11 am    

Bob congratulations on your new Encore...I know you are going to love it ! The wait (weight, haha) will be worth it ! My Stage One is a great steel and I am sure the Encore is even better ! Enjoy !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 10:52 am     New Encore

Thanks Larry,just got an email from Doug ! Red laminate is going on today !!!!

Joshua Hicks

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 11:34 am    

I bought an encore last week. It's used (looks brand new to me). It's awesome! s/n 0005!

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 12:03 pm     Encore

Congrats on the Encore Joshua! I'm really looking forward to playing the first gig with mine !!!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 2:53 am    

Larry Lenhart played in the time slot before me at the SWSGA Phoenix show,He sounded great on his Stage One,I finally got to see one in person...a beautiful little guitar!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 4:19 pm     Encore

New Encore arrived last Thursday afternoon....just in time to unpack it & get to work.Played it Sunday AM @ our church service.Did'nt have much time to get accustomed to it beforehand as Friday & Saturday were really busy days, but it sounded great.....@ least that's I heard from all the band members & a bunch of folks that were there.My sister has heard every steel that I've ever owned & absolutely loved what she heard.So did I.Thanks Doug....& thank you too,understanding wife!!!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 7:26 pm    

Very nice !!! I like it a lot !! You will have many hours of joy out of that Zum !