The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Resonator string tension
Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 7:54 am    

On my 6 string steel my 4th string is a 36. I routinely toggle that string ( in hi G) from D to E with no adverse effects. The steel has 23" scale. Can I do the same with the Gretsch Bobtail (4th string also 36) with a 25" scale?

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 8:05 am    

Yes.

Paul DiMaggio

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 8:11 am    

Thanks Brad.

Webb Kline

Bloomsburg, PA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 9:50 am    

I do the same thing, but I keep some .30s on hand because I usually break the .35 before my strings wear out.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 10:50 am     Re: Resonator string tension

Paul DiMaggio wrote:
On my 6 string steel my 4th string is a 36. I routinely toggle that string ( in hi G) from D to E with no adverse effects. The steel has 23" scale. Can I do the same with the Gretsch Bobtail (4th string also 36) with a 25" scale?

Alluding to what Webb wrote, don't be so sure that it isn't going to "blow." I've commented about this in the past, I have tried to do this a few times with a .036w on my Clinesmith (tuning from D up to E) and it has broken each time. But I also suspect, w/o any scientific data to support this that the lack of extra string length or slack from my Sperzel locking tuners could be the cause, I just make one wrap around the tuner with these "lockers."

Why don't you give it a shot Paul and let us know how it works out on the Gretsch.

Paul DiMaggio

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 7:38 pm    

Well, so far so good. I've tuned it up and back down again 10 times or so spread over the course of the day and it seems to be alright. I split the practice time between songs with and without minors. Went and picked up a spare .36, just in case.
Mark, I was taught always 2 wraps, same as tying calves, only without the half hitch Winking
I was concerned about over loading the cone, this is my first resonator and to be quite honest about it I don't really understand how it works. So you folks are going to see lots of dumb questions from me. I apologize in advance. Smile

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 7:39 am    

Calves aside, if one finds changing strings an annoying chore as do I, then locking tuners are great. One wrap, and they seem to keep the guitar closer to being in tune when not in use. My dobro had been in the case for about a week until yesterday, and when I put the headstock tuner on and checked, only one string was out of tune.

On the next annoying string change maybe on the 4th I will do a couple wraps and not use the locking device to see if it is indeed the locking mechanism and lack of slack that keeps my 4th string from being able to go back and forth from D to E.

And don't sweat over loading the cone. People have been tuning to Open G for a long time and beaten the crap out of these things on certain songs with no ill effects on the cone. Three guys off the top of my had who have played the thing really hard at times with no mercy: Josh Graves, Jerry Douglas, Randy Kohrs

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 12 Sep 2014 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 10:56 am    

I think Mike Auldridge recommended a 34 for the E note. Standard guitars usually use 35 for the D string if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a little experimentation with gauge is in order here?

Paul DiMaggio

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 7:55 am    

Cindy Cashdollar also suggests a .34 so I'll pick up some extras when I make a string order. That in itself could be an ordeal, many differing opinions about strings. I'm thinking maybe one set from several different brands. I probably won't be playing any Bluegrass but some old time, some country , rock , swing, and folk. Some of the brands target genres in their descriptions, not sure how accurate that would be.