The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Hate The Steel Guitar....
Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 2:01 pm    

Jana Lockaby wrote:
If you weren't a drinker before you started, you will wish you were not long after.
What about the effects on your family? My husband is very supportive, but even he had a limit, after about three hours of "The Steel Guitar Rag", over, and over, and over, well, now I know how to get him out of the house. lol
Can someone, please, explain, why strings that were at least 10 years old, could sound so much better than a brand new set? Hmm, must be why they kept telling me, "don't change them until they break.", and I thought it was just because they didn't want to change them for me.
Oh, yes, I love it when someone tells me something I played sounded good, and I immediately think,seriously? They, apparently, did not hear what I just heard. Glad it isn't just me. I've come to the conclusion, that I'm, just, never going to be satisfied with what I hear myself playing. There is, however, the exception, when you are at home, with no one around, and, oh, yes, just knock it out of the park, play it perfect, and have no one but the cat to witness the greatest moment of your playing life. sheesh, not even a meow in appreciation.

Zanex anyone, tequila? Kidding, I love it so much, I think I'll just go practice. Maybe, just torcher the cat a little with my beautiful tone and touch. . That's what she gets for her lack of enthusiasm. Thanks for the encouragement, and motivation to keep at it.

I know exactly what you mean about the cat Jana!
As I've always said - alone at home, I play like Jerry Douglas. When I'm out, I play like Jerry Lewis, & I think he played golf? Very Happy

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 6:06 pm    

Zane,...THANK YOU!...Any of you that practice as much as WE obviously do knows this syndrome....I am in the middle of one of these plateaus right now...Last week, I was making huge gains, in leaps and bounds, and for the last 3 days. I want to shoot my guitar...I HAVE to walk away from it....And for the next week or so I will...Thank goodness I have a 6 string to fall back on...
I don't think this is an uncommon problem for most of us...Its a natural progression associated with the learning process..Im glad to see I'm not alone...BTW Zane....You obviously possess the "I'm not good enough yet" drive....i commend you...
I can relate this to a recent situation where I was playing my 6 string, with a VERY good steel player...When we came to a specific break, him an I were right together, and the band was totally lost...BUT...They DID catch up...Right about time for the tag..!!!!...Thats where all of us, driven to REACH our apogee, will finally reach Nirvana!....Play through the plateaus...We have no choice...Smile
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 10:21 am    

The only reason there are not bullet holes in most PSGs is that women are just too sweet and nice.
But the women folk get that urge, I’m sure, to shoot a PSG several times every day and double at Steel guitar conventions and jams.
Just think of the agony of having to sit through 10 or 12 folks playing the same songs they heard practiced hours each day for years at home.
I fully expect one day for some lady who has had enough to show up at a convention with a pump shotgun and make sponges out of every Steel on the Stage. Laughing

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 3:01 pm    

Where do you find all these too sweet women?
I had one who tried to run head on into me with her car and then beat on me till she dropped.
I had one that got me ganged up on and beat up by her brothers and then arrested because she was beating on me and someone called the cops because they thought I was beating on her.
I had one gal try to shoot me as I was loading my Steel outside a Bar. The gun jammed I heard it click twice before I could get behind the bus. She came at me and tried to beat on me with the gun and I had to wrestle with her to get the gun away and I got arrested because when the cops got there I had the gun. Too sweet my ____.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 3:33 pm    

You were a really really bad Steel player! Laughing

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 3:48 pm    

Sorry Zane I didn’t mean to hijack your topic reminiscing about the good old days!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 5:28 pm    

I don't play pedal steel, but I know the kind of frustration that you are talking about just the same. I've tried to put a positive spin on those times when my playing is just not happening, whether it's lack of chops or inspiration, and focus on other areas of my music, such as composing or maybe even transcribing. But I will admit, my goal is to play my own music and I don't do a lot of work with other artists, so I don't have the same pressure on me.

Sometimes I have to look at simplifying things and making them more musical rather than interesting to just me. I would like to have a good balance of those elements. I'm an improviser almost all the time and steel guitar can prove to be a difficult instrument to overcome the physical limitations, which in turn can alter your ideas--in other words, not let the instrument play me. She does that often.

Savell

Lakeland FL
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 6:39 pm     Love/hate

It's an emotional journey.

Last edited by Savell on 14 Sep 2014 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Glenn Uhler

Trenton, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 7:07 pm     Shed some blood.

Really like the comments made about changing strings and having one bite you. Just have to be extra careful! However, my late father used to say "You don't really own a new pocket knife until you cut yourself with it." Sounds like changing strings on a guitar for the first time.

Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 10:23 pm    

I hate the fact that what I am doing could be called tough love! But, I think the Ritt and Sho Bud understand. Very Happy