The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pivot pin/Changer Alignment
Bill Sherborne

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 4:03 pm    

Hi everyone,

I recently took apart the changer on my MSA Classic for the first time to clean it. Now I'm putting it all back together, and I notice that the pull rod on the C pedal 4th string raise goes through the pivot pin in the second hole from the top of the bell crank, but goes into the top hole in the changer finger. It can't go in the second hole down on the changer because the RKL occupies that hole. I kept the rods in the pivot pins, so they haven't moved.

Should the rods always line up in the same position on the bell crank and changer, or is it sometimes better to have them in higher or lower like I have here?

Thanks for your help,
Bill

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 4:31 pm    

Quote:
Should the rods always line up in the same position on the bell crank and changer.............?

If I am understanding the situation and the question, Bill, the answer is "no". If the bellcrank hole and the changer hole are the same, it would only be by coincidence. Part of the ingenuity of the system is the ability to choose the optimal hole on both ends to achieve the speed, touch, synchronicity with other strings, among other factors that can be affected by the leverage created by the different holes.
Hope I am understanding the question and I hope this helps.

Bill Sherborne

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 5:09 pm    

I like that answer! Time to brush up on my leverage knowledge.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 7:04 am    

In general- on the changer side, the closer you put the rod to the changer axle- the faster/shorter/harder the pull is and the opposite is true at the bellcrank level- that is- the closer you put the rod to the cross shaft, the slower/longer/easier the pull will be. Taking advantage of the two allows for the best setup and pull timing for the player and each player seems to have his/her own preference. I usually start with the thickest strings and work my way up to the thinnest strings when setting up a pedal or lever as, everything else being equal, a thicker string requires less movement for the same pitch change than a thinner string and proper timing is able to be achieved more easily that way otherwise I find myself having to redo the changes to achieve proper timing.