The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gulfport Deep South Steel Show
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 1:26 pm    

Our Deep South Steel Show will be on Oct.31st and Nov 1st, VFW Post 4526, 1506 Dedeaux Rd., Gulfport, Mississippi. The Ramada Inn, 9415 Hiway 49 will have special rates. Phone no. for the Ramada is 228 868 8200. The players list is growing quite rapidly and I will publish it as the schedule develops. During our November show last year, I was asked by Scotty to announce that Joe Wright was to be inducted into the ISGHOF during his performance on our stage. This was done with the assistance of Lynn Owsley, Billy Robinson, Jerry Jaye (Rockabillie HOF), Country Jack Harper, and all our band members. Needless to say we had a great time with that honor. And now, Joe will be with us again as a member of the ISGHOF along with others. Stay tuned for the good times to come.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 4:51 pm    

I am not an ISGC HOF, so will an Atlanta HOF suffice?Smile

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 4:46 am     Gulfport Deep South Steel Show

Chapter two: Our show is most fortunate in that Hall of Fame Players from many states visit out stage. Multi talented Bill Ferguson, just this past week-one of the featured players at the ISGC &HOF program in St. Louis, Mo., will be with us. During our last years announcement for the Joe Wright induction into the ISGHOF, Bill Ferguson was on the phones to arrange a visit with Scotty over the phones to enable Scotty to inform our audience about Joe's induction into the ISGHOF. At that time, the connection could not be made for technical reasons beyond control. As Bill stated earlier, he is in the Atlanta Steel Guitar HOF and will grace our stage this year. Among his other talents, he is one of the main sound engineers for Scotty's Show and will also be the sound eng. for our Gulfport Show. He is most appreciated and will be on stage with his steel guitar for all to enjoy his talents. Wait for Chapter Three about our show for the new talents that have just contacted me this past weekend. Branson will be made proud. (Hint).

J PARKER

Meridian Miss
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 7:46 am     Show

Bill I hope to be able to make it and see all the great talent there. Always a first class show.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 1:34 pm    

Folks, if you haven't been to this show before, plan to attend this year. I was honored to be a part of it last year, and had a great time. Bill puts on a great show. Larry and Jean

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 5:10 am     steel show, G'port, Ms.

I'm planning on being there both days/nights. I'll be one of the Excel pickers this time. Mr. Mitzu( sp?) the builder of the Excel guitars should be well represented. Looking forward seeing everyone. Thanks.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 7:11 am     Gulfport Deep South Steel show

Larry and Jean, it was the best having you two with us last year. Hope you can be back this time also. Let me know.
Billy Carr, so glad to have you with us. Mississippi's Number one ICON steel guitarist and NOW on EXCEL. Have you on the program both days and we will have an EXCEl of a good time. Thanks to you and Larry and Jean.....(Hope they can be here too).

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 12:03 am     Gulfport Deep South Steel Show

Joe Wright, Lynn Owsley, Billy Robinson can be seen and heard all weekend during our show coming up Oct. 31st and Nov. 1st. Mitsuo Fujii will make a grand appearance to illustrate that this show has more EXCEL steel guitars on stage than any other I know of. Bet we could have a great EXCELORAMA. Just might happen. Hall of Fame and award winning steel guitarists abound here for the good times. Bill Ferguson, Atlanta Steel Guitar Hall of Fame doubles up on stage and controls the sound output properly. We just might have to start very early and play for a few days. lol And do not forget the VFW kitchen output both days. News about the staff band will be forthcoming very soon, and it is topknotch, bar none.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2014 2:02 pm    

Bill, thank you so much for asking us again this year. Regretfully, we will not be able to make it. Hopefully next year, if you need us. We loved your show last year, and everyone made us feel so welcome. Good luck, and God Bless. Larry and Jean

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2014 6:28 pm     Gulfport Deep South Steel Show

Larry and Jean, we always NEED you two on our stage. Have a welcome mat with your names on it and NO expiration date. Sorry you two can not be here this time. You will be missed.
Bill Stafford

Larry Pickard

Lecanto,fl
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 9:26 am     deep south steel show

Bill, I can't believe the talent lined up for the show. I've been looking forward to seeing you and the many friends I made last year.I'm sure it will be as great as last year.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 9:51 am     Gulfport Deep South Show

Larry, big honor for me with you here. Biggest line up we have ever had. Will post the line up in a few days. Glad you will be here too.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 10:29 am     gulfport show

bill: martha and i are really looking forward to being there this time, we have missed a couple of shows because of health reasons. i cannot speak 100% for them, but jimmy miller from dothan alabama and gordon dodson from ozark alabama have said that they will be there also. we may not be hall of famers but we work cheap....ha ha....thanks jack

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 4:59 pm     Gulfport Deep South Steel show

Jack, sure glad you will be here this time. Been missing you and Martha. I want to have an Alabama Appreciation Day for all the players from Alabama and have them on stage one after another on Saturday afternoon. I want you guys to give all the rest of us something to shoot for. Will send more information on this as it develops and I get the list of confirmed Alabama players. We will have our usual line up of great players and the Atlanta Hall of Fame steel guitarist might just give you guys something to shoot for too. lol I am so very proud of all your wonderful players and friends that make this a pretty good event. Will have the schedule in a few more days, hopefully. We have lost a few of our players, Ken Henderson, Hank Corwin, Bobby Bowman, Ed Clark and the sax player Jerry Ball. They will be missed but we will do our best to have a good time in their honor.

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 8:12 pm    

Bill, barring no unforeseen circumstances, I will be there with (and courtesy of) my newest "student" on steel, Tommy Linxwiler.

Gotta question for you - is the venue wheelchair friendly? I'm trying to determine whether I'll need to bring my wheelchair or try to borrow my niece-in-law's little scooter for getting around. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)

John Heinrich

Whites Creek, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2014 8:39 am     The Deep South show is going to be awesome!!

I've been to this show and it is awesome! Bill Stafford puts this on and it is first class! All the people there are super friendly!! If I wasn't out with Milsap I would be there....Hey Bill maybe I can talk Ronnie into coming down there for a day or 2!!! Would love to see everyone again.
Single 10 2008 EXCEL "My Money Maker"
Single neck universal 14 string EXCEL
Dobro, Saxophone, Oboe, English Horn, Flute, Horn Sections, Lap Steel
615/828-1182 cell

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2014 6:44 am    

Mr Bill hope to see you both days wow great lineup.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2014 7:00 am     Gulfport Steel Show

Jim, will be good to have you with us . Wheelchair status s OK. Keep me posted
John, thanks for the support. You have been missed too. Do some talking with Ronnie.
Tommy, I will have a table for you, as usual, do you want a slot on the show? Aim to please here.
Bill Stafford.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 9:35 am    

Mr. Bill am gonna need a spot for my good friend Danny Lyles be playing and using the CLASSIC VIBE AMP and one of my MAX-TONED guitars hope you can work him a spot in on SAT. evening man this is gonna be a great show WOW!!!!!!!!!

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:57 pm     Gulfport Steel Show

Got you and Danny covered . Thanks for this great support.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2014 6:12 pm    

What a great show this will be. Last year was one of the best shows I attended. Wish I could make it this year, but it just isn't in the stars. Larry

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 6:21 am    

Bill,

I plan on being there (not playing, just soaking up some good listening). Have some fond memories being in Gulfport with the US Navy and eating at Capt. Al's on Lorraine Rd. Good times to be had!

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 6:36 am     emmons pp

charley: you can play my new (35 year old) emmons pp, it needs breaking in. see ya there....jack

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 6:54 am    

JACK

I am looking forward to seeing you there. Thats the highlight of the trip.

I won't be playing, I don't think, I am going in for shoulder surgery on tuesday. I'll be in the listening section this go around. Shocked But, thanks for the offer...

Very Happy

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 6:07 pm    

wow you guys are making me sick, wish I could be there but playing job come first, they are hard to come by, have a great time, think about me, come by to see me, jack tell Martha hello, Charlie, hope your shoulder get well quickly, Shorty