The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Observations of a 1st time User (2014)
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 5:06 pm    

I love it!
The program is laid out very well, and the instructions are pretty good.
The real tracks sound amazing, and there are tons of styles available.

Now for some nitpicking:
The Bass player does some odd things from time to time, and the drummer puts in too many fills.
(I realize it must be very hard to program these parts to fit the many different songs that they need to fit in to)

I hope there is a way to tame the drummer down a bit.
He doesn't need to fill in every 4 measures!

Sometimes the real band sounds like you showed up at a gig with all union musicians, that don't listen to each other... they just follow the chords and play their favorite licks no matter what the rest of the band is doing!

In time I hope I will learn some tricks to make the individual instruments play simple parts.

Do any of you guys know how to edit/cut/paste measures of a real band track to force it to play the same simple part thru most of the song?

Thanks
Dom

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 9:27 pm    

Ok I found a few things that help... but nothing that really fixes the problems completely.

1. I can regenerate the song over and over until the bass part is more normal (the way I like it) Then **FREEZE** the Bass Part, and it will play that way every time. Same for the drums, freeze the drum part when it's acceptable.

2. I can change the real track to a different bass player or a Midi part, or even a different style tha works with the chords.

3. I can switch A/B (verse/chorus) designations for each line (4 bars or 8 bars) and that sometimes helps tame down the flashy playing.

4. Lastly, I can dump the whole song in two track stereo to my Hard disk recorder... (minus the bass or drums or both) and add my own parts.
This is what I did on two arrangements so far.

All in all it is a lot of fun and saves studio time. I get some killer piano and guitar parts that I can not come close to playing myself.

Dom