The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Too Much Jazz!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Too Much Jazz!
Greg Vice

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 8:35 pm    

I think that is a problem with not having a separate room to play different genres of music. My first yr I got bored with main stage and went to jazz room I got hooked. I was unable to attend this year my grandson went into army and this weekend was family open house at Fort Bennning Ga. I was asked recently to sing with a gospel group that plays 60's& 70's rock with Christian lyrics and was told my steel wasn't welcome because it was more country than rock. They should have heard Joe or Al sat. night, I caught them on steel radio, wow crossroads great! just remember we all have different taste if you are a Dr. you must have patients. walk away Renee

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 10:45 pm    

My thought is this. I see threads on the forum about what can we do to get young people or just people in general, interested in steel guitar and supporting the convention and other steel guitar associations, these kind of threads are NOT helping our cause. When we complain about the genres of music we don't like, let's not forget that the whole point in supporting steel guitar is giving the instrument the credit it is due for being able work in any genre of music and the players due respect for their accomplishments in trying to keep steel guitar alive . The bigger picture is not being looked at.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 12:23 am    

No matter if every person there had their personal request played someone would say too much this, too much that. We do the best we can to try and please everyone. It just simply can't be done.

Joe Wheeler

Marion Louisiana Union
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 4:41 am    

Very Happy I don't care for jazz either , but I love to hear him play the fast breakdowns and slow ballads. He can play it all and play it well. He has nothing to prove to no one and he's playing his music like no one else can do and he's a super nice fellow. ps I don't like the new up tempo country either. Very Happy

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 5:56 am    

I stand corrected Mr Cohen. I came into this thread very late and did not know you could edit a post so I must have really missed out on something. I am sorry. I am with Mr. Moyers, makes this thread kinda worthless now. And our friend Johnny Cox said it all very plain and simple. My hope and prayer is that we as lovers of the Pedal Steel Guitar find a direction to get younger people involved and thinking about the steel. If we don't we will start loseing the conventions around the counrty including the big one in given time. Stop and ask, how many pickers were their on the main stage that was under 30,40,50. It is sad to think that when all us old timers are gone that will be the end of the steel world as we know it today including this forum. Thanks, J.R.

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 6:18 am     too much jazz

Hey JR , I agree that we do need the younger boys & ladies to carry on ,,, but, several of the young guys that I know , such as Eddie Lange , Eddie Dunlap, Tyler Hall, Josh Bertrand, etc, are on the road at convention time ....also Wally Myers said it ,, we shouldn't edit the original post ... maybe we can ban a few guys from here ...starting with Mr Justice for not using "Dr" and maybe Mr Cohen for playing "Bus Stop" . hhmmm... whoops only joking !! only joking ,,, !!!

Ga McDonnell

N GA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 6:19 am    

Wow, four pages of words generated from a musically ignorant troublemaker who just couldn't resist sounding off on something he knows nothing about.

Obviously understanding that level of musical intricacy is light years away from his
musical comprehension level.

So why even comment unless there's some mean spirited agenda in doing so?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 7:15 am    

Ga McDonnell wrote:

Agree with Ga McDonnell completely. Makes you wonder if Jernigan ran over the good doctor's dog or something.

Exhibit A that there is no correlation between education and intellect.

Or Christianity and common decency.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 11:39 pm    

Ga McDonnell wrote:
Wow, four pages of words generated from a musically ignorant troublemaker who just couldn't resist sounding off on something he knows nothing about.

Obviously understanding that level of musical intricacy is light years away from his
musical comprehension level.

Musn't anger the Doctor. He IS a steel guitar player/teacher...

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 6:42 am     Too Much Jazz

Well, this subjec finaly helps me understan why it iz that I caint play any beter than I do -- too much edjecation!! (B.A., M.Div.,Th.M (Princeton), Ph.D. (University of Iowa). Iz there any way I cud dum down and unlern all this stuf fast and maybe get to preform on the stage in St. Luiz, or, at least, in one of the distriber's rums?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 7:22 am    

Hi Fred! If anything good came out of this thread, it is having flushed you out of the bushes! How long you been crouching in there? Good to see you, man. Hope you're doing well!
Jimbeaux

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 7:51 am    

Thank you Fred, I just knew that you would show up sooner or later!

Last edited by Brian Henry on 4 Sep 2014 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 7:59 am    

Since I already open mouth and inserted foot but that happened because of member editing posts which I did not know you could do. So because of that I missed some important posts which caused me to be very embarrassed. If you make statements of your convictions here to be seen around the world then I do not think you should be able to back up and change them. I thought what is written is written. If you think you said something you perhaps should not have then make a new post explaining such. I vote for bOb haveing some way to stop that happening. Thanks, J.R.

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 7:59 am    

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 8:24 am    

Hello Danny Sneed, You are one of my Heros along with Doug. J.R.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 8:42 am    

Hi JR, Danny, Doug , Mike, Stephen, Jack, and the many friends from the convention, you are all my heroes!

Last edited by Brian Henry on 4 Sep 2014 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 10:26 am    

Hey, Henry---Are you going back to St. Louis next year?

Here, I can speak Henryonics. May be you can understand...

Per(edited)aps (edited) might playing again. You, could, (edited) of hi?

Own aside, note--Howuch do youcharge (edited) steell guitar les(edited) ?

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 11:09 am    

On a serious note, Brian Henry--Not only have you edited your OP to the point that nobody knows who, or what, this thread is about---You've also edited your profile, removing your occupation, and your status as a loyal follower of Jesus Christ. I find that, as well as Fred Layman's trumpeting his extensive education (B.A., M.Div.,Th.M (Princeton), Ph.D. (University of Iowa)with great theological emphasis, quite disturbing. I must agree with Mr. Jack Hanson, when he said...

"Exhibit A that there is no correlation between education and intellect.

"Or Christianity and common decency."

Now, Mr. Henry, Mr. Layman--I don't mind either of you making fun of my Southern accent. Mr. Henry, being an immigrant from Belfast,Ireland, I'm sure that you hear, and are angered somewhat, by the Southern accents you hear there in Cleveland, Georgia. And Mr. Layman (interesting surname, for a theologian), I don't know exactly where you ply YOUR trade, but I'm certain that your trade does not include sticking your Ivy-League educated nose where it has no business.

Or, to employ the vernacular, IT AIN'T NONE OF YORE DADGUM CONCERN--HUSH UP, AFORE I HAVE TO RAISE MY VOICE AT YOU.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 1:04 pm     Too much jazz

Thanks Stephen. You just underlined my case. Enjoy!

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 1:23 pm     Jazz

What a boring place this would be if there were only one kind of music, Jazz to me is expression, the ability to stretch the mind, your feelings, your technique...I come from the Hometown of the Coolest Jazz Man ever MILES DAVIS....many said he was crazy, confused, contrite....yet many thought he was a Genius...
Thanks Dave and Doug again...I hope theres more next year...
God Bless the MUSIC for it keeps us all from going mad.....
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 1:33 pm     Re: Jazz

Don Lanier wrote:
What a boring place this would be if there were only one kind of music, Jazz to me is expression, the ability to stretch the mind, your feelings, your technique...I come from the Hometown of the Coolest Jazz Man ever MILES DAVIS....many said he was crazy, confused, contrite....yet many thought he was a Genius...
Thanks Dave and Doug again...I hope theres more next year...
God Bless the MUSIC for it keeps us all from going mad.....

AMEN!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 1:50 pm    

Are we having fun yet? I keep forgetting... Rolling Eyes

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 2:35 pm    

I dunno, Jim. What were we talking about? Is that lady still stuck in the podium?

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 3:46 pm    

Personally

The Jazzier the better Shocked

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 5:02 pm    

Ya mean, like Randy? He plays jazz--even on the E9 neck. And he learned a lot from Reece. Another pretty
good jazz guy.