The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Too Much Jazz!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Too Much Jazz!
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 2:56 pm    

I have enjoyed most of the players and it's so good to hear the beautiful tone and sustain of the pedal steel guitar. What a great convention with a pleasant mixture of jazz, traditional country and even some Hawaiian music? Mahalo! We all have our favorite players, and the ones we detest, but in this day and age, it is not politically correct for us to name names, and show our pleasure, nor our distaste. Thank you again Scotty. I enjoyed most of it. Just can't wait until next year, to see all my friends again.😜

Last edited by Brian Henry on 4 Sep 2014 8:09 am; edited 5 times in total

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 4:15 pm    

Interesting, Doug is one of the best in the business... I love everything he plays..
I wish I could sound that bad...

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 4:35 pm    

Well said Charley and Wally

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 4:38 pm    

Brian...I totally disagree. Did you hear Doug tune up? His tone was fat and rich; very rich musically. I have played with Doug many years and this was one of his best. Jazz is a language that is very advanced harmonically and you must study if not just listen to it. Doug has both listened and studied a great deal to jazz and knows the language. He speaks the language very well. His tone is simply beautiful.

I think you simply missed the beauty.

Jim

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 4:39 pm    

Mr. Henry I to am in awe at your remarks about Doug's playing.
if you didn't enjoy Doug's playing, why didn't you just kindly step out and visit one of the vendors, or go to lunch or something?
If your post is out of jealousy, just practice harder Brian.

Last edited by Fred Justice on 30 Aug 2014 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Danny Sneed

Morristown,Az.U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 4:58 pm    

Doug, is one of my HEROES ....always amazes me.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 5:45 pm     Re: Some observations

This afternoon Doug seemed determined to make his PSG sound like a banjo with a monotonous endless stream of banjo rolls, played so fast that I had great difficulty appreciating the sound. Perhaps if he is so banjo obsessed he should play a banjo. But maybe one banjo player in the band is enough![/quote]

Mr. Henery Really. While I'm not at the Show I did hear Doug's set on Steelguitar.com this afternoon. I don't think we were listening to the same show. I've never heard better tone or better playing come out of the steel guitar. Unmelodic isn't what i would call what I heard. Maybe, great, wonderful, soulful, awesome. I wish I could be as unmedlodic as Doug. Maybe I need another banjo roll or two.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 6:18 pm     Re: Some observations

Brian Henry wrote:
I have enjoyed most of the players so far and it's so good to hear the beautiful tone and sustain of the pedal steel guitar. Dare I say that I did not really enjoy Doug Jernigan's set this afternoon. I don't care much for his jazz numbers as they seem somewhat unmelodic. I am sure he enjoys playing jazz but it just hurts my ears.

I love the rich sound that can be found in the pedal steel guitar and play normally 2 hours a day when I am not on the bandstand? This afternoon Doug seemed determined to make his PSG sound like a banjo with a monotonous endless stream of banjo rolls, played so fast that I had great difficulty appreciating the sound. Perhaps if he is so banjo obsessed he should play a banjo. But maybe one banjo player in the band is enough!

If anybody said anything stupider than that, folks would swear it was me that said it. I think Doug might be at the top of his game, right now.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 6:31 pm    

I really feel jazz is enjoyed waaaay more by the one playing it, than the one listening to it....no matter who the player is.
Especially on original material that I've never heard before....wow... I've had to walk out of the ISGC ballroom more than once after some jazz numbers go on too long. It's just not my cup of tea. However I wouldn't go out of my way to make a post about it(!), nor single one player out, but I don't mind admitting I find jazz on steel guitar boring.... and even a little self indulgent at times.

Last edited by Tony Palmer on 31 Aug 2014 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 6:31 pm    

WOW! Thats about all I can say.

Tom Mossburg

AZ,
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 7:08 pm     Wow

I was at the show and heard Doug's set Friday. As always he sounded like Doug Jernigan, an elite player a few notches above just about everyone else. Personally I like the variety in the sets and Doug certainly fulfils that requirement.

I believe Doug's set was supposed to be a jazz set on Saturday. Also I believe there was a cancellation of the next to last slot Friday evening and Doug volunteered to play it.

Brian also if there is a worship session on Sunday you will probably find Doug there and maybe you can find some common ground in your faith. Doug is an excellent role model in both arenas.

Last edited by Tom Mossburg on 31 Aug 2014 4:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 7:41 pm    

The jazz is a nice break from constant A-B pedal licks.

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 7:46 pm    

Danny Sneed wrote:
Doug, is one of my HEROES ....always amazes me.
...Doug is absolutely one of the all time greats.....and an outstanding person too! His technical skills and"chops" are unparallelled.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 8:32 pm    

I have seen and heard Doug play for many years, and after listening to him the last couple of days, I walked up to him and with a full heart and as serious as a heart attack, told him he is untouchable. I also told him I wish I had half the talent he has in his hands. He was very very sincere and appreciative and told me that I was great player and very talented as well. I know I'm a great player and do a good job but Doug knows how to use everything he knows and make it work and you can understand it. Doug is a great Christian man and has complimented and encouraged me a lot over the years. You might as well be saying you don't care for Buddy Emmons, Paul Franklin or Tommy White for that matter cause Doug Jernigan is definitely in that category of great players and in my opinion just keeps getting better. He has proved to me that you can be a great player to begin with and still get better. So you've picked on the wrong guy and have treaded on sacred ground my friend.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 11:28 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bsCRv6kI0

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 2:05 am    

Well..I had this really well prepared witty response, but decided a simple sentence may be more appropriate.

" The Steel Guitar Convention is not about you "

Maybe the next time you play 500 of us will come to your gig..

then we will each report back...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 2:53 am    

Thank you all for your responses. As Tony has well said the steel guitar convention is not about me. I am just one of the ones who pays up and helps to keep it going.

Last edited by Brian Henry on 4 Sep 2014 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 2:58 am    

Olli Haavisto wrote:

It's a blonde version of Borat. Oh man this is funny. Laughing

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 3:03 am    

Mr. Justice I believe that my next pedal steel will be a justice.

Last edited by Brian Henry on 4 Sep 2014 7:44 pm; edited 5 times in total

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 4:28 am    

Brian Henry wrote:
Mr. Hill and Mr. Justice it is quite in order to address me as Brian when you communicate with me on the forum. However, when I am teaching in class my students address me by my official college title, Dr. Brian Henry

Can you write prescriptions, "Dr." Brian Henry? If you can't, you ain't a real doctor. Coincidentally, my doctor, is named Brian Henry, M.D. I call him "Brian." I sorta believe that you've dug yourself into a hole, and your pomposity, as in "As Tony has well said the steel guitar convention is not about me. I am just one of the ones who pays up and helps to keep it going."

Your grammar, syntax, and punctuation don't speak well of your title, either.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 5:00 am    

Thank you Stephen!

Last edited by Brian Henry on 4 Sep 2014 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 5:06 am    

Gee, I wonder what Dr. Henry's opinion of Dave Easley might be.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 5:28 am    

Olli Haavisto wrote:

Now that's funny!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 5:49 am    

Re-reading the title of this thread, "Too Much Jazz" is pretty funny when you consider that there were only two sets (1 hr) of jazz out of 30 hours of playing. Let's see, that works out to about 3%. I'll bet even Brian would concede that 3% devoted to another genre isn't really "too much" for a weekend-long program. Might just be time for him to check out some exhibits, though, and that's cool.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 5:57 am    

I wonder how much Doug would have to pay a public relations agent for this kind of press. The few times I've seen him play up close, I just sat there in awe. If I didn't know what a fine Christian he is, I'd suspect he made a deal with the devil in exchange for that talent. Seriously Dr. Henry, I don't mean to pile on here, and I know everyone has their own opinion, but...really, Doug Jernigan?

(The deal with the devil thing was just an expression, no disrespect intended)

Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 31 Aug 2014 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total