The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal spacing
Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 3:38 pm    

Hi gentleman I just got a beautiful MSA D10 8&4. I was wondering as to why the left knees are two to three to the right. I had to readjust my position (sitting) to be able to play it. It is expensive to take it for changing things around. About 7hrs one way to nearest tech from where I live. I have no plans to sell just curious as to why placement. Thanks Bob M

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 5:13 pm    

Try sitting centered on the sixteenth fret and see if it's right. Not seeing the guitar it's hard to tell what's up.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 6:24 pm    

I believe the left knee cluster is there so that one can hit all the pedals from inside the group. I can hit all ten pedals on mine, only 1 and 10 are a stretch.

Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 6:14 am     Pedal spacing

That is what I thought. It is very different from from my Carter SD10. I have to relearn a different way of sitting behind the MSA. Thanks Bob

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 6:45 am    

Lane is right, but for me, I had to move both left knee levers to the left. I only have 3 pedals on the floor, so it is no big thing. Being in my 70's, I couldn't rock my foot to engage the A pedal, and the LKL, at the same time. My foot doesn't bend like it used to. Before I moved them, I kept them in the up position. Simulating rocking my A pedal to see where I had to move them to get enough throw on my left knee. Wound up I moved them 2 inches, and I get a clean, chord, on the money. Also to help clear the B pedal, I have my A pedal a wee bit higher than the B.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 7:05 am    

Where Steel builders put the pedals can be an issue. I like Zum's but their B pedal is about where the A pedal (Emmons setup) is on my Franklin. I have a terrible time playing a Zum because of that. Ray Uhl let me use his D-10 Zum last year in KC and I kept hitting the BC pedals instead of the AB.

My wife's GFI Expo S-10's pedals were too far to the left, fortunately it was fairly easy to move the pedals over to the right so they were in "line" with the knee levers. Most guitars you can't move the pedals or knee levers and if you can its a major modification.

Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 4:57 pm     Update

I changed my position further to right. As suggested and it works better. I can now make more "music". Thanks for all those who have replied. Bob

John Ely

Minneapolis Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 5:32 pm     Pedal Spacing

Jack, I've noticed the same thing you describe when playing my Zum vs my Williams.
I play my Williams 70% of the time, and the Zum ~ 30%.
Sitting at my Williams I center myself at the 15th fret and sit upright; when I play the Zum I center myself at the 12th fret and lean to the right. That's how I could make peace with owning both of them. I love both guitars but they're very different ergonomics.
John

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 9:50 am    

Some pedal steels, such as the Fender/Sho-Bud hybrid, were built so that you can slide the pedals right and left into a comfortable position and then tighten the bolts. I think all steels should be built that way.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 1:17 pm    

I believe cabinet drop worsens the more to the right you go, but hitting the outside A pedal alone, becomes harder and harder the older I get. RP