The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Staggered knee lever
Jim Curl

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 5:02 pm    

I have two LKL on my E9 (one front and one rear). The front raises the E's, while the rear lowers the 10th string (B) a whole tone to A. What is the best way to use two knees, do you engauge them both, or is it better to tweek your body in your seat to engauge the rear knee only when you need it?? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 5:27 pm    

I'd only hit the F lever, and scoot back to hit the rear as needed.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 5:41 pm    

What Lane said. My front lkl lowers my E's to D# and the rear one lowers my 2nd string to C#. My front knee lever touches my knee right near the edge of the knee. To hit the rear lever, I don't have to move back in my seat, just move my knee back an inch or two. The rear lever sits about two inches to the rear of the front lever, an about two inches to the left. I can hit each one effortlessly without hitting the other.

Jim Curl

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2014 4:42 am    

Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2014 5:05 am    

All guitars and all people being different, it can sometimes be tricky.

I have 3 doubled levers (LKL, LKR, RKR) and it took a fair amount of adjusting and moving levers to make it work so that there was no inadvertent contact with the rear lever when hitting the front.
And because I have short legs, the LKR remains less than ideal--I can't position that rear lever in a position where it is clear of the leg's sweep-radius on the front lever, yet is in a practical position to hit it without it being way over to the right.

It is what it is. The only reason I am writing this is so that you know that if you have difficulty setting it up, it is because it can be difficult.