The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hillman Powder Coated Tone Bars
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 2:54 pm    

Thanks for posting guys, appreciate the kind words! Getting closer to the teal green bars, if anyone wants a particular size other than standard, let me know ASAP. Appreciate everyone on the Forum that keeps our powder coated bar project viable.
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Allen Schares

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 5:51 pm     Tapered bars

Could you tell me a bit more about the tapered bars. I noticed in one post someone mentioned using a tapered bar to prevent cramping in the left hand. I have something like this and I'm wondering how the design helps.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 6:48 pm     Tapered bars,

Hello, Allen, most of the guys that have bought my tapered bars have used one at sometime and liked the way it felt. One fellow told me that tapered bars were widely used in the late 50s when the Oahu Method was at its peak. That being said, I met one player at the Dallas Show who said he'd switched to a tapered bar because it did alleviate the cramping in his left hand. As we were visiting, he said he didn't know why it worked, only that it did. I'm hoping there will be some other Forum members that see this post and can comment from their experiences.
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 7:51 pm     tapered bars

I started with Oahu lessons in 1947 with a tapered bar and used it clear uo into the 70's.
I have Michael's tapered bar and I really like it too.

I have cramping going on in both hands and my left foot now, but that is mainly because of the various auto-immune illnesses I've fought most of my life.
I haven't noticed if the cramping is alleviated with the tapered bar but I will be more attentive to that now.

What is so nice about the tapered bar for me is the increased ease of single string picking and moving from string to string to pick single string runs.

It has a nice balance to it and I feel like I have more control over the tapered bar than with a standard bar because there is less weight out there at the finger tips.

And switching from pedal to lap steel and back is no problem with the tapered bar. It is not too heavy or large for lap steel yet large enough for pedal steel from my experience anyway.

Wonderful bars, I just can't say enough nice things about Michael's bars.

In fact maybe I should start a new thread showing my Hillman bar collection.

Smile Smile Smile
Dick

Allen Schares

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 7:58 am     Tone bars

Michael,

Thanks for the info. I may try a tapered bar at some point, but, for now, I think I'll just order 2 standard bars in black if you have them. I'm assuming the pricing info on page 18 is still correct. I will send 64.95 by PayPal today. If there are additional charges, please let me know. Excited to try one of these!

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 8:37 am     Thanks, Allen,

Thanks , Allen, I'll get these right out to you- Michael

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 5:55 pm    

I'll say it again, I have 2 of them, I really like them, I don't use anything else.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 6:07 pm     Thanks to Dick and Larry....

Thanks for your posts, guys, took blanks to my powder coater today to do a batch of teal green, I'll post photos when they are ready.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 4:08 pm    

I love my dark blue 2.75" x 0.75" ...

I have about 10 Chuck B. Red Rajah and Black Phoenix bars ... from the 90's ... a couple of tapered 2.75" x 0.75 to 0.625" ... stocked up while the "geetin' was good" 🤓

These new ones ... to my ear ... a harder powder coat ... more articulate ..

I might send my CB tapered for a new coat ... colors are very cool too 😎

Well done
Mr. Green

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 4:39 pm     Thanks, Rick, I'm alway looking for old powder coated bars,

Thanks for the post Rick, send me any old powder coated bars that you'd like redone, I think there have been some advancements in powder coating since people first tried it in the 90's. If I can put a bar in with a batch I'm doing, I'll charge $10 and most of that is just handling and return postage.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 4:16 pm     Teal bars finished today,

Picked up the teal bars today; variety of sizes, picture below:

A few new projects in the works, by request, adding a new lap steel size, 3/4" x 2 7/8", first of these bars will be gloss black and gloss red, expect them in about 2 weeks. Also looking at a smaller tapered bar than the current 7/8" tapering to 3/4" x 3 1/4", details soon - Still entertaining powder coating a Stevens style bar in the standard size, only thing holding us back is the cost, as it takes a lot of machining to cut the grooves in the sides. If we can get the blanks priced about the same as tapered bars, we just may give them a try. Thanks to all who support our powder coated bar project! - Michael

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 1:51 am    

I have two 2 3/4" tapered from 3/4" to 5/8" .... Chuck B. Red Rajah ... Can I send them to get your new powder coat ... ???

You can see if it's something you want to include in your lineup ... Without machining one.

PM me the cost for two ... If you are interested

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 2:19 pm     current pricing and sizes, June 1, 2017:

BUY ANY BAR AND RECEIVE A SECOND BAR OF EQUAL OR LESSER VALUE FOR AN ADDITIONAL $15.00

All lap steels are $36.95 - variety of colors, 3/4" x 2 3/4", 3/4" x 3" 3/4" x 3 1/4" and 7/8" x 3"
soon to add 3/4" x 2 7/8"

Standard size 7/8" x 3 3/8" $49.95, variety of colors

15/16" x 3 3/8" $56.95 variety of colors

Stainless steel (316 grade) sitar bar, $56.95

David Wright custom tapered bar, 7/8" to 3/4" x 3 1/4" $56.95 gloss black, Harley Davidson Orange, Teal

One inch x 3 1/2" $59.95, variety of colors

Prices include Priority shipping to US Zip Codes, add $5.00 per bar for Canadian orders, add $25.00 for International Priority. PayPal preferred at vmhillman66@gmail.com or I will provide a mailing address if you prefer to send a check or money order. Call (208) 867-5062 with any questions, or use the email address above to request a photo of colors in requested sizes. Thanks!! Michael

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 2:31 pm     recoating old powder coated bars,

Rick and others bring up a good question about recoating old powder coated bars. I'm happy to do that, or take them in on trade if you want a new bar that is on hand. We've taken a number of old Red Rajah and Black Phoenix bars, sandblasted them and stuck them in with the next batch to be powder coated, that works very well. If any of you have old bars with wear, or just want to have a new color, send me those bars with $10 for each bar sent, and I'll have them recoated with my next batch, and return them as soon as possible. I have to do 20 bars at a time per color, so I may have to have two or three color choices from you to get a color that is acceptable to you. Drop me an email at vmhillman66@gmail.com to let me know what you have in mind, confirm colors, etc, and I'll return a reply with along with a mailing address. We want to do everything possible to keep a great selection of powder coated bars in the hands of those players that prefer them, at a very reasonable cost, and we thank everyone who supports our project! Michael

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 9:44 pm    

I'm a big fan of Michael's bars. So smooth....

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 11:59 am     Teal Bars

Michael,

The two teal bars arrived today, standard 7/8 and tapered 7/8 to 3/4 by 3 1/4. The color looks great with my birdseye green Carter U12. I'm really surprised at just how comfortable the tapered bar is to hold and use. I don't have any hand problems, but the way the index finger lays along the smaller tapered front of the bar just feels great. Back in the 50s, [yea I'm getting old, ha] I started with a tapered bar on lap steel but never considered a tapered bar for pedal steel. Now, thanks to David Wright for suggesting it, and to you for making them, we have that option again. I would encourage others to give a tapered bar a try. George

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2017 9:47 am     Lap steel bars

Michael,
Just received the two 3/4" by 3" lap steel bars. As with my other bars, these are so smooth and comfortable to use. I'll contact you again when the 3/4 by 2 7/8 bars are ready, and also order the teal 15/16" bar. Thanks, George

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2017 1:57 pm     Thanks to George and to Joe, 3/4" x 2 7/8" bars available-

Thanks for the comments, George and Joe, I was awaiting a final answer from my machinist to post the details of a 2 3/4" tapered bar, and a 3" tapered bar, I should have an update tomorrow. I did just pick up the first 3/4" x 2 7/8" bars, photo below, thus far available in black and red, pricing same as all lap steels - $36.95, add a second lap steel for an additional $15.00, includes shipping to US Zip Codes.

Watch for news tomorrow on the tapered bars, and thanks to all who support our powder coated bar project!

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2017 5:11 pm     Two More Tapered Bars Available Soon

This has taken a bit longer than we anticipated to finalize, but the blanks for two more tapered bars will be produced by my machinist as soon as he has his CNC machine available for the task. Then we are looking at 10 days to two weeks for powder coating, to have the first ones in stock.

The smaller bar is copied from a 3/4" x 2 3/4" Red Rajah bar that tapers to about 5/8" at the tip. The second bar is essentially the David Wright tapered bar, which is a little less than 7/8", 3 inches in length, tapering to 3/4" at the nose-this was accomplished by removing the 1/4" from the butt end, all the other measurements staying the same.

The price for the smaller tapered bar is $51.95, for the 3", $53.95. Likely the first run will be gloss black and gloss red, as these are our two most requested colors. I will include a few of these in other color batches as we do them, AND - those wanting a second tapered bar may add $15 to the purchase of one at full price. Thanks to all who gave input for the tapered bars, I'll post photos when we have them available.

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2017 7:16 am     New bars

Michael,
Just got the teal 15/16 bar and the black 3/4 by 2 7/8. Thanks again Michael for two more great bars. George

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 10:37 am     Thank you, George,

Thank you George, always good to hear from you!

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2017 2:54 pm    

Another bump for ya Michael..

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2017 8:18 pm     Thanks, Larry, update on new tapered bars, etc, 2 for 1 sale

I have the tapered bar blanks for the 3/4" tapering to 5/8" x 2 3/4", and the just under 7/8" tapering to 3/4" x 3". The first batch will be red, followed by black, butterscotch and teal, based on requests from Forum Members. due to the additional costs machining the tapered bars, we won't be including them in two for one offers in February and August, but we will continue to do those offers with all straight bars. What we are able to do with the tapered bars is a bar at half price if you purchase one at full price. I will update this thread as soon as I have blanks powder coated. Idaho has too many great recreational opportunities thru the summer, and both the machining and powder coating have taken a bit longer than I'd like, thanks to all who support our powder coated bar project!

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2017 9:36 am     All straight bars - August two for one sale,

This month marks 3 years offering powder coated bars on the Forum, and we will celebrate our anniversary with a two for one sale on all straight bars. Buy any straight bar and receive a bar of equal or lesser value at no additional cost. Prices are:

Lap steels, $36.95 3/4" x 2 3/4", x 2 7/8", x 3", x 3 1/4" and 7/8" x 3", variety of colors

Standard size 7/8" x 3 3/8" $49.95, variety of colors

15/16" x 3 3/8" $56.95 variety of colors

one inch x 3 1/2" $59.95 variety of colors

Prices include Priority shipping to US Zip Codes, add $5.00 per bar for Canadian orders, add $25.00 for International Priority. PayPal preferred at vmhillman66@gmail.com or I will provide a mailing address if you prefer to send a check or money order. Call (208) 867-5062 with any questions, or use the email address above to request a photo of colors in requested sizes. Thanks! Michael

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2017 3:43 pm     three sizes in tapered bars available now,

We now offer three sizes of tapered bars, 2 3/4", 3", and the David Wright style, 3 1/4". Just received a batch of red bars and butterscotch bars from my powder coater, and there are a few of these bars in those batches, here's a photo:

As I've mentioned in other parts of this thread, the additional machining involved in making the tapered bars does push the price up a bit. The 2 3/4" are $51.95, the 3" is $53.95, and the David Wright 3 1/4"is $56.95. Again, because of cost constraints, we won't be doing two for one with these bars, BUT- we will include a second bar, equal or lesser value for half price. Remember, old powder coated bars are valuable to us, send me any old powder coated bar along with $10 to replace that bar with a new one of the same size, just email me for details.

Thanks to all who support our powder coated bar project!