The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rme ucx / apogee quartet ?
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 7:38 am    

I've decided it is time to upgrade my converters from Mbox pro 2 to something better . I am looking at the apogee quartet or the RME ucx. Leaning towards the rme at the moment. I am using it with pro tools 9 .

Any experience out there with these boxes ?

Thanks,

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 8:35 am    

Will PT9 accept other vendor's equipment? If you have MP9 I know it will not.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 11:01 am    

My pro tools rig will work with any interface. They got rid of the proprietary issues .

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 1:04 pm    

I've got MP9 and obviously it doesn't, but I have an MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R that does.. PT9 is supposed to be OK, but from what I've seen on the Avid Pro Tools forum there are some drawbacks.

I had a 30 day trial version (full version) of PT10 and, at the time, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 that was certified as being compatible. I finally got PT10 to recognize it but, no one on the ProTools forum could help (none of the suggestions worked), Focusrite's suggestions didn't help. Finally, after a couple tries Sweetwater gave me some instructions to get it working. After all the hassles, I decided to not buy PT10. (I have Sonar X3).

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 8:19 am    

I am concerned with converter quality and stability mostly. Compatibility is not an issue.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 4:06 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I am concerned with converter quality and stability mostly.

Can you hear the difference between different converters (interfaces)? I can't. I think they are all good, and the weak link in recorded sound is always somewhere else.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 5:08 pm    

So true...I am way more concerned about the signal before the converter, and the way it is summed afterwards than the converter itself...

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 7:47 pm    

The mbox 2 pro certainly sounds pretty good and I have done a ton of stuff with it but I can hear a difference in the basic sound when I record with better quality interfaces. I already ordered an RME unit so I will be checking it out next week. If it is not an improvement I will send it back.

Mark Wayne

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 7:40 pm    

Bob,

There will be a tonal difference with your RME unit. Every interface will vary concerning tone and harmonics resulting in different sounding mixes altogether.

For me, the challenging link lied within the interfaces I was using concerning overall warmth and tonality. I had a couple of Presonus FP10's, Firepods, and Mackie Blackbirds for recording (adobe audition, my platform), but once I graduated to the RME's it was a step closer to a very warm, even recording experience. I read many reviews - RME vs. this and that, and came to the conclusion to get the Fireface 800, hoping in this case that a more expensive interface would get me a better mix...and it did....and never regretted it for a minute. With lightpipe capability, they work great with ADAT's for added channels (I use 8 mics on the drums to a mackie board > ADAT > lightpipe to the Fireface 800).

I think the UCX will be a great investment for you. Let us know.

Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2014 4:00 am    

Bob, do you have a review on the RME unit yet?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2014 5:01 am    

I am working on some recordings now. It seems more clear and detailed so far but that might be just because I paid for it. I will give it a bit more time before I make a judgement.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2014 10:54 am    

Holy cow, I'm still using an Echo Gina 20-bit Whoa!

Maybe it's time for an upgrade, but I can't say I'm not happy with the sound I get. I just need better mics.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2014 9:46 pm    

I can say now that the RME is a good upgrade. I already have a couple very good mics and a pair of Adams monitors. I am using a FMR RNP for a preamp and my Sarno V8 for direct.

Before I got real monitors I had no need for the upgrades. But once I could hear the details that all changed.

I am now looking at compressors for tracking acoustic instruments. Might do a try out rental thing or just get started with an FMR RNC. I have been seeing them at studios for years.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2014 6:12 am    

I have a producer helping me put some tracks together and go over my little project studio and he told me the RME was an important improvement. It sounds quite a bit more detailed and open. He also went over how I record things and said I really don't need a compressor for tracking. My issues will be better served by mic placement and levels.

Now if I could just get better at dealing with pro tools .... I am currently using the "monkey with a mallet " method.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2014 9:19 am    

Bob, the 'Monkey with a Mallet' method is a known good for all DAWs.. Cursing is good too.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2014 10:34 am    

I tried Pro Tools once. I won't again. SONAR, REAPER, even n-Track work better for me. To be honest , SONAR never made it past the eval stage. I found out there are a small infinity of templates for REAPER and that put it over the top. I don't even have to learn 1% of it to use it. It looks like a mixer plus tape drive the way I use it.

I have an *old* version of n-Track ( 3.0 ) and it works on an Acer netbook w/ a Focusrite 18i20 plus a Behringer ADA8000 for 16 tracks of live recording. It's a tracking-only solution - you have to transfer the resulting files to a real computer for mixing - but I was impressed. It fits on a barstool.

It is too bad that alt.music.4-track went dark. Great resource, that.

These days, people just want phone camera video.

Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 5:55 am    

I second that-
Reaper is the way to go
Infinitely customizable, you can make it work JUST like you want it to.
You don't have to relearn everything you know about recording because Avid thinks you should.....

You can have multiple screens, I use one for tracking, one for mixing, and one for FX.

Customize your mouse/keyboard for any function.

I 'have' to use Pro tools at work-
I choose to use Reaper elsewhere.

Great program