The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap steel in Nashville, Memphis or New Orleans?
Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 7:09 pm    

I'm doing a little road trip from sept 1 - 12, covering Nashville, Memphis, and New Orleans. It's going to be a real music holiday, and I'd like to hear as much great music as I can, especially lap steel.

Any recommendations of bars, bands, venues, instrument stores, or sites would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

John Mulligan

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 5:56 am    

Sounds like an awesome trip through the Mojo Triangle! Let us know what you find! Bon Voyage!

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 6:27 am    

Nashville - Gruhn, Carter Vintage, and Artisan Guitars would be my choices for browsing. And of course Steel Guitars of Nashville.

If you get a chance to see Chris Scruggs perform, you may be lucky enough to see Billy Robinson on lap steel. A stop at the Station Inn usually exposes you to a dobro or two. Just wandering the bars on Lower Broadway will give you plenty of (mostly pedal) steel guitar.

New Orleans - Spencer Bohren may be around somewhere. Dave Easley plays jazz on the pedal steel, but is certainly well worth a listen. International Vintage Guitars in Algiers Point may be worthwhile.

Don McGregor

Memphis, Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 9:04 am    

Eric Lewis is based out of Memphis, and plays a lot of dates there as well, with several different groups. His non pedal work is what i like him for best, but he also plays pedal steel and several other instruments. I play several dates in memphis every year, and it is possible I will be at Otherlands Coffee Bar with my Band Crawpatch during some of that time. I play electric and acoustic guitars, as well as a double 8 console with this band. I will try and scout out who else may be paying around that time, and pass it on.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 10:13 am     Scotty's Convention St. Louis

If you add a few more days on the front side , August 28-30 The International Steel Guitar Convention is in St. Louis that weekend.

If you have never been , It is a Must Do for Steel Guitar Enthusiasts, all steel all day and night.

This year they are having Alan Akaka and his Hawaiian Group for non pedal action supreme.

Click the forum index and there is a dedicated section for all of the details.

Hope this helps you . Very Happy

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 3:24 pm     Nashville

Try to find Randy Kohrs in Nashville. He is one wicked Dobro and lap steel player. He also has a studio in that area. Good luck.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 5:31 pm    

All great suggestions. Thanks. Please keep em coming!

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 1:41 am    

I did the same trip last year.

I saw no one playing lap steel but in Nashville plenty of PSG players - and hot ones too! Of particular note:
- Check out the John England gigs at Robert's on Broadway, I can't remember the player's name (it wasn't their regular) but he was great to watch.
- On Sunday night there is a bluegrass jam in the Station Inn, some good Dobro players may turn up! I actually sat in and strummed a borrowed acoustic!
- Definitely try and get a Sunday show at the Bluebird cafe. There may not be a steeler but it's worth the queuing.
- Do try and go to the Opry - the house PSG player is superb!
- I would loved to have seen the Time Jumpers with Paul Franklin and Vince Gill.

Memphis was great for the musuems and the Gibson factory but IMO, terrible for live music. There are only so many slow blues solos you can take in a night. Go once to Beale Street then avoid - it's a tourist trap; try and get to some gigs elsewhere.

New Orleans. Bourbon street is party music and to be honest good fun if you're young. I am ashamed that I cannot remember where (may be the Warehouse District) but I found a whole street of clubs that featured on great jazz band after the other. Ask the locals where to hear music other than Bourbon!

We went back to Nashville after the "Govt shutdown" curtailed our trip in the Smoky Mountains. I am going back to Nashville for a conference in October - can't wait!

For all of you thinking about such a tour, here is the best comment of all, from my wife, aged 50, who is NOT a country or jazz fan: "I think we should do another music tour in the US - it was completely different to what I'd expected. Live music played like that is cool!"

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 6:19 am    

I love New-Orleans, I have been there 2 times and now try to go there once a year.

Its not a steel guitar town, maybe on Bourbon Street you can see a country band but I hate this street, I been on this street one time and never will again.

I love New-Orleans for the Dixie Land swing music, on the day I like Royal Street to watch street musicians and taking a beer on street! If you are lucky Tuba Skinny will be there, he have a great band.

On night I like Frenchman Street, there jazz bands in lots of bars, my favourite is the Spotted Cat and you can see great funk band at the Blue Nile.

If you go to Lafayette you have to go the Blue Moon. Its an hostel and honky thonk. They have a cajun jam night, if I remember well its the Wednesday. Last time I have been there I jammed with the band with my lap steel and they really loved it, they love steel guitar a lot, I suggest you to listen to Harry Choates.

Last edited by Jean-Sebastien Gauthier on 23 Aug 2014 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 8:08 am    

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier wrote:
I love New-Orleans, I have been there 2 times ..

Can you understand the French language as it is spoken in Louisiana?

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2014 1:22 am    

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier wrote
Quote:
my favourite is the Spotted Cat

Thanks J-S, thanks for the reminder! Yes, this was the club where I had the most fun in N.O. too. I recall seeing a superb rhythm guitarist there - now when was the last time any of you can say that in this day and age!

\ paul

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2014 5:24 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier wrote:
I love New-Orleans, I have been there 2 times ..

Can you understand the French language as it is spoken in Louisiana?

Yes! I meet a couple of Cajuns at Lafayette and Breaux-Bridge and the olders speak almost exactly like the Acadians which is a good french with a nice accent. They use some words differently but almost the same as we speak in Québec.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 7:35 pm    

Your suggestions have been put to test - and I'm having a blast!

Thanks too you Brad I'm loosing sleep as to if I can afford a 71 Dobro from Gruhn's.

Saw Paul Franklin with the Time jumpers and during the backstage tour at the Grand Ole Opry I met George Hamilton the 4th. We sang Abilene together. I was speachless.

Surprisingly little steel stuff. Lots of pedal steel players, but can't find a store that carries anything other than Dunlop bars.

Gibson factory tour tomorrow!