The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fretboards?
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 6:41 am    

i am looking to replace the fretboards on a d/10 carter, just wondering if anyone has ever used the shobud fretboards with the white background? or if anyone has any other ideas on other brands....thanks jack

Eddie Freeman

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 12:26 pm     Fretboard

Hummm, I was thinking if I ever changed my fretboard, I would go to the Carter fretboard.
I had a Magnum once and liked those hearts.Whatever board you use, make sure it is a 24 inch scale.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 12:33 pm     fretboards

eddie: i know what you are saying, but truthfully i just do not like the carter fretboards, especially on a lacquer guitar. just wanting to see what anyone else has tried?.besides the carter boards are just like thin paper....thanks jack

Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 6:08 pm    

I had a nashville pedal steel player tell me that they used to indoctrinate new players at the Opry by slipping a different scale fretboard on top of their steel while they weren't looking.

I thought that sounded pretty mean but I also thought that folks would have noticed if their fretboard was different.

Don't know but that's what I was told..

LOL

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 7:54 pm     fretboards

I have heard about the tricks played at the Oprey laying a fret board on a steel with out of line frets. What I heard was it was always a Sho-Bud guitar and the jokester was SHOT JACKSON the man who ran Sho-Bud at that time. He would be standing off stage laughing it up. He had the fret boards made just so he could get a laugh.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 6:56 am    

Jack, you need 24" scale boards. My favorite ones are MCI. I doubt if you can find any colored MCI boards but even the black and white ones are nice. I don't care so much what markers are used but I do like the same markers all the way up the board. I think Jim Flynn of Lone Star Steels still has some MCI boards. I have a Magnum and the only thing I really don't care for are the fretboards. I would like to have MCI boards on it.
Jerry

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 12:07 pm     fretboards

jerry: thanks for the info, i will check out the mci boards....thanks jack

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 12:25 pm    

I think white fretboards look cool, but I found that under stage lights the strings cast shadows - alot of them - on the fretboard, and it can be pretty disconcerting visually.
With different colored lights hitting you from different angles, it looked like there were strings all over the place.
Found myself going a little cross-eyed from it all...went back to black boards the next night.

Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 7:57 am     Stage LIghts....

The little band of troubadours that I currently play with played a show the other night an one of them bought and set up a laser light effect. It had all kinds of patterns and gyrations that moved and changed in beat with the music.

The thing was set up on my side of the stage and really kinda directly down on me and the guitar player.
It was an outside gig and as it got darker the effects got more pronounced.
By the third set my Zum Fretboard looked like something out of an acid induced hallucination.

By the end of the night I had a headache, was a little dizzy and just a bit nauseated.
AND NO, I hadn't had anything to drink.... LOL

I'm gonna suggest they set the thing up on the other side of the stage next time..

Sad

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 2:45 pm    

The Lexan fretboards on my Carter were designed to be highly visible in low light situations. I know from experience they're much better then my Legrande!

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 4:39 pm     lexan fretboards?

john: where can i get some photos of the lexan? i am not familiar with those....thanks jack