The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud experts...
David Scheidler

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 6:14 pm    

Anyone know if a 3/2 Super Pro changer assembly would fit in a Pro II changer housing? They're currently listed on eBay and the seller isn't sure. He's already got it boxed up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pedal-steel-guitar-Sho-Bud-parts-/201146456319?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I would think those pieces would be interchangeable if the production years of the two parts are close enough together. What do you think?

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 7:12 pm    

It's not so much the changer housing as the size of the tuning access hole on a pro II is smaller and I think higher up on the endplate.Also the overall finger length of the super pro +3/-2 is longer.I do think they will fit in a pro II axle/finger support housing but u would need pro III or super-pro endplates from a guitar with a 3/2 changer,also don't know for sure if the body depth(height) is the same. Super pro changers are notorious for the bridge/top part made of pot metal developing a nasty and sometimes unreparable groove from the raise pull makeing the lowering finger tab rub against it. Winking

Last edited by Storm Rosson on 8 Aug 2014 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 7:16 pm    

You might want to check on here with James Morehead. There is probably not too many people alive that knows more abut Sho-Bud parts than him.

David Scheidler

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 6:16 am    

Storm - I hadn't considered the location of the tuning access hole, but I can see where that may be an issue. The seller claims there are no worn groove marks in the Super Pro fingers.

Richard - Good point! I'll contact James. I'm sure he'd know.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 8:11 am    

my guess is it won't work without a buncha modification. not sure why you'd want to do it anyway. doesn't the pro ll work fine?

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 8:44 am    

Definitely talk to James he'll know perzactly what fits and what don't ..Stormy Winking

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 8:59 am    

I was wondering about going in the other direction...putting a 1up/1down/2 hole puller/barrel setup on a SuperPro.

David Scheidler

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 2:15 pm    

Chris - Yes, it looks like this scenario may require some extensive and unnecessarily complex modifications. May consider other options. Haven't contacted James yet. Check the eBay link for more clarification. We're talking about building a psg from scratch.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 4:12 pm    

If u plan on a from scratch build, the housing on ebay at 149 alone would be worth it. You could dismiss those stock fingers and get some of James M's custom super fingers as they have ball bearings at that pesky rubbing point and the pot metal is Al I think or SS but they are primo for sure. Winking

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 5:40 pm    

Given that it's JUST tailpiece and fingers, talk of modifications is silly. There's no guitar to modify.
And that's a good price for tailpiece and fingers.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 3:18 am    

Is James actually making those fingers yet?? James, care to chime in?

David Scheidler

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 6:36 am    

Storm - That's an excellent idea!

Lane - The issue about modifications would involve altering the size of the changer window in the endplate to line up with the changer assembly. I already have a set of Sho-Bud endplates and keyheads. I just need to contact the person I bought them from to find out which model guitar they came from.

I'll be building the cabinet myself and then sending the guitar out to have the undercarriage mechanics installed. I've contacted James Moorehead about this thread and asked him to comment.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 8:52 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
Is James actually making those fingers yet?? James, care to chime in?
Dan, I may be jumping the gun divulging info between James and I, and I hope I don't piss James off (again).....but let's say I may have a few pix (not drawings)from James of the finished part and I can say it's awesome like all JM's parts....I won't add more and hope James will add to this and doesn't get pissed at me....Stormy Winking (James if this was a faux-paux on my part I'm sorry buddy, I couldn't help myself) Embarassed Having James and his team do the mechanics is THE way to go, he has the primo parts and the know-how to produce a "far better than original" guitar, you would not be disappointed ..Stormy Smile

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2014 12:20 pm    

It is a great thing to be asked these tech questions as an "expert". There are those ahead of me, though, Ricky Davis, Gary Carpenter, and John Coop(R.I.P.) David and Harry Jackson and others who deserve "expert" status, before me concerning Shobuds. I have learned much from them all, as you should if you are a Shobud enthusiast.

Hey Storm, I'll let you know when you "P-P" me off. Razz There are things the Shobud community would love to have available NOW, but all in due time. I am still digging out of back-log from my accident, and it would not be fair to those who have believed in me and are patiently waiting. So I'm not ready to go there yet--but we have many new cool ideas and upgrades that will make all I have done so far look obsolete. I just need time. Ever try to make up a complete lost year of work? It's almost as easy as defying gravity.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2014 3:32 pm    

Very Happy Thx James, I just kinda wanted to whet (their appetite) a tad before u get caught up and do a "formal" announcement. But I have to reiterate those new fingers are badass my friend.Can't wait to see what u'r hinting at with future parts etc. Stormy Winking

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2014 4:30 pm    

By the way,

did someone here buy those fingers and the Pro II housing on Ebay?

David Scheidler

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2014 5:02 pm    

Yep, they sold this afternoon. I passed on them since my endplates are from a Professional and the changer window would have to be milled out extensively for the Super Pros changer assembly to fit. Also, the shallower cabinet may not allow enough room for all the hardware necessary for a 3 raise/2 lower setup. Still looking...

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2014 5:58 pm    

Storm Rosson wrote:
Very Happy Thx James, I just kinda wanted to whet (their appetite) a tad before u get caught up and do a "formal" announcement.

Uhhmmm, that's ok Stormy, I got it covered. Smile