The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6th knee lever change...completed-please close
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 1:49 pm    

I would like to have the knee lever that lowers the 3rd string on my GFI moved from the right-right to the right-left pull...would that be a hard change for someone to do, and if so do you think I could find someone at the st louis show to do it for me. Thats the way my other steels have always been set up and it seems much easier to me that way, plus of course I am used to it...the current right-left does a change on the E9th that I have never used, so that could be taken off as far as I am concerned. Altho I have played steel since the 60s I never look at the underside...its all a mystery to me and I want to leave it that way Smile As long as it does what I want it to do, thats all I care about. Thanks and sorry for such a long post over what is probably an easy chore for a knowledgeable person. Thanks in advance.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 7 Aug 2014 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 11:42 pm    

geez larry....no clue about how they work and you've played since the sixties?? that's amazing!! wow.
i'm not going to say what i'm thinking.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 3:09 am    

Chris, I know several guys who are my age and have no idea how to change a tire, let alone oil.
They do know how to find a phone and call someone with greasy knuckles.
Larry, I suggest you look at this website here
https://www.steelguitar.com/maps/changer.html# just to see how they work. These things are pretty fascinating under there.
I think it'd be pretty easy although I've never worked on the GFI. I just looked at the undercarriage pictures of one for sale, and you should be able to do it yourself. If you're afraid of getting too complicated, you could leave the rod on the unused change attached to the bellcrank, remove the nylon nut, detach the bellcrank from the front neck, slide it out of the finger into the guitar, and then slide it back into the hole on the back neck, and attach the bellcrank to the cross-shaft on the back neck.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 5:38 am    

Just call me a dumb Okie.

Now, back to the original request, would anyone going to St Louis have time to change it for me ?

I think GFI will be represented at the show, I will check with them to see if they have the time or know of someone who could...of course I am willing to pay anyone who could do the change for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 5 Aug 2014 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 5:43 am    

Suggestion.. call GFI and see if they are going to the St Louis show...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 6:23 am    

What route are you taking? I might be able to do it at my house Sunday.
But for anyone with tools, this is an easy thing

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 9:38 am    

Lane
Thanks for your kind offer..i had planned on going thru tulsa and up i44...if i dont find someone who has the time to do it for me, i can change my route and go thru topeka,,,thanks again for your kind offer...i appreciate it very much !!! It would be nice to meet you.... Have seen a lot of your posts and enjoy them. I will let you lnow asap.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 2:36 am    

Moving levers from one side to another is not a difficult thing to do but requires the PROPER place to do it with the proper tools and work area. I would not think St Louis would be the proper location for a configuration change for anyone. Either do it yourself or send it ( bring it ) out to someone who will return it to you configured as you requested.

That's my take...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 7:17 am    

Thanks Tony, I appreciate and respect your take on this. I will wait for someone away from the show to make the change and just go and enjoy the show Smile I am sure I will find someone to get it done eventually, no hurry.
Thanks again.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 8:04 am    

Tony, while I don't think someone would do this on the floor, I'd think that either:
The GFI booth (especially if they knew it was coming) or;
Any handy convention goer in his/her room (assuming they knew s/he was going to be doing the job, and brought the needed tools)
would be perfectly well suited for the job.
It's just removing one rod and moving one bellcrank and rod.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 9:33 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Tony, while I don't think someone would do this on the floor, I'd think that either:
The GFI booth (especially if they knew it was coming) or;
Any handy convention goer in his/her room (assuming they knew s/he was going to be doing the job, and brought the needed tools)
would be perfectly well suited for the job.
It's just removing one rod and moving one bellcrank and rod.

OK...it seems simple enough...No argument from me, but I am reminded at how many times I thought I took everything with me that I needed for a job only to find out everything wasn't as it seemed. Or, I left something behind that I didn't think I needed !

Lane...I am especially liking the "IT's Just" part!Smile when I rebuilt a 70's S10 MSA a few months back I counted no less than 4 set screws stripped that needed to be drilled out...and the holes tapped again to the next size which meant 4 larger set screws.. Smile

I'm sure it can be done in St Louis in a Hotel room, but I'm not 100% certain that everything will be as expected....only 99.9.... Cool

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 9:53 am    

Aside from a Phillips screwdriver, the only other tool needed for this job is the right size Allen key for the set screws that attach the rods to the swivels in the bell cranks. (Unfortunately, I don't know what that size is.)

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 11:40 am    

Good points, Tony. And I've seen that sort of thing happen (when I pulled the changer from my MSA, the heads broke off the screws holding the pillow blocks).
I suppose that, should things go pear-shaped, even at my house things couldn't get done the same day since the hardware store may well be closed.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 3:44 pm    

Thanks to all who have offered to help me with this...a gentleman contacted me who is coming over tomorrow night to do the job for me...I will watch and learn I hope Smile If he finds that I need more parts or whatever, I will contact GFI and tell them what I am wanting to do and go from there, if needed. Thanks again.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2014 7:10 pm    

The job was done tonight by a gentleman who did it in about 15 min. It was an education for me as well...so thanks to all who responded offering help. Please close this thread.