The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  William Litaker
John Luce

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 7:02 am    

I have recently enrolled in William Litaker's Saturday live teaching session. Good stuff here! I have really benefited from the fills, licks, intro portion of the broadcast .... found a lot of things that have been eluding me. Great player/teacher at a reasonable price.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 10:58 am    

John, I totally hear you. I've been at it for a full year just this month and its pretty incredible the range of material and technique that gets covered each week, but even better, his method works!

William's a killer player, but he's also a killer teacher. He's not afraid to get in there with you, either. If you call him or skype with him, he'll be honest with you, but he ain't going to kill you. He's awesome. It's embarrassing to listen to recordings of myself from a year ago compared to where I am today. It's work, but man isn't it fun. Good stuff.

-Dan

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 11:14 am     William Litaker's Saturday Live Class

Very Happy

The Litaker method really works. I'm another student that has been with him for almost a year now and I know I'm making good progress learning steel. I've also emailed William periodically during the year with questions and he has always been available to help me.

George

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 6:12 pm    

Kind of a one man version of “Hee Haw”. Laughing
Anything that can happen will happen.

But through it all the good steel guitar instruction gets through loud and clear.

I wouldn’t miss one week of it and I don’t even play Steel.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 7:01 pm    

Stuart, it was one of your posts from a year ago that prompted me to give William's Saturday sessions a look. I think the way you put it was, "for the price of a foot-long sub..." Laughing
Thanks man. I'm a little skinnier now, but my pickin' is getting fat.

William Litaker

Kannapolis, North Carolina, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 11:38 am    

Thank-you so much for all the kind words. We do have a time on Saturdays every now and then for sure. One thing that happens every single Broadcast is My people are learning to play this instrument they love. Of course you don't have to take my word , just listen to what they say.

Find that out for yourselves...

http://www.williamlitaker.com/LiveInfo.html
http://www.pedalsteeler.com/

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 3:12 pm    

Got to agree with all that's been said so far.
I have ben a member of the Saturday gang since the start and a much better player for it. You sure get way more than your money's worth! and if William can tech me, he can teach anyone! Thanks to William I get to drag my heavy Steel guitar and amp out to play in bars and make 10's of dollars a year! Wink
All kidding aside I really have benefited greatly from Williams instruction and would recommend him to anyone looking to improve there playing. Thanks, William!

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2014 9:31 am    

William has some great lick's for any one that want's to learn them. William is A great guy...and A lot of fun to boot. He tries hard to help some one learn to pick the steel guitar.If your having A tough time...or in A rut with your technique...give William A try...I think you will benefit from it...and it sure wont hurt.

Bill Sutton.

Gary L Reed

Castle Rock, CO
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2014 10:35 am    

William has been great to me. I'm way behind on my practicing but love his stuff. Heck, just the technique stuff is worth more than he charges for the whole lesson. Thanks William!!

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 4:39 pm    

The Saturday lesson is the best deal out there for instruction material. You get great licks and good ideas to use other places. You can save them on your computer and go back to them at anytime. Heck of a buy!

You get More For Less.

Who would have thunk it. Oh, Sam Walton would have. That is why Sam Walton became the number 1 retailer in the world. Does that mean William will become the number one retailer of steel guitar instruction in the world?

To be continued............ Smile

Last edited by Mark Greenway on 8 Aug 2014 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Darrell Gill

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 4:46 pm    

Nice comments..
I know that William has helped me become a better steel player since I have been taking lessons from him.. He has always been kind and helpful to me.. I have learned from other that did their best to help me but William is not only a good musician but a very good teacher...has a good ear for helping students..I commend you William... and he has also become a very good friend to me ... thank you for your kindess..

Darrell

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 3:17 pm     Bill Litaker

I took my first Bill Litaker lesson on 8/9/14 and am impressed. Bill does a good job providing the material, explaining the material, and follow up if needed plus providing the tabs for song, fills and runs to help develop technique. On top of all that he seems to be a good guy to deal with. I'm a happy student and will be for a long time....jr

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 5:03 pm    

You got that right, Joe! A great teacher, a nice guy and a good friend! You are gonna love it here!!

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 6:14 am    

Bump for a great teacher and friend!

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 11:20 am    

Looking forward to starting that chord study with Wild Bill this coming weekend. Lord knows I need it!

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 7:28 am    

Chord study and we're doing 'Once A Day'!

George

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2014 11:40 am     Saturdays Lesson

TTT.for William Litakers lesson for the day. This is my 3rd lesson and I am enjoying it more each week. Once A Day is a great song to work on and Bill explains it well....jr

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 4:57 pm    

It's a great feeling when you get a tricky part down. I spent the better part of the afternoon going back and forth between that intro for Crazy Arms and working on learning more of the neck. Getting there, then got stuck on stupid. I think its more the fault of the way I have my noise room arranged, so I took a couple hours to change it around and then said "hell with it" and went to the local firing range.
That went better.

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 2:02 am     Fourth Lesson

I've completed my 4th lesson and am impressed at the amount of material furnished and instruction Bill provides. Well worth the money and the convenience of learning in my own environment(home for me). And the option watching the lesson when I have the time...jr

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 3:50 pm    

The first thing I started working on a couple years ago when I purchased my steel was the Winston/Keith instructional. I made pretty good headway but then reached an impasse and right around that time I started working with William and you guys. It's been a year since I looked at that book, but gave another shot at "Shenandoah" and "Bud's Bounce" today and they are actually coming off alright, at least 10x better than before. All those things we go over really stretch a player out and build muscle-memory, not to mention are actually applicable. A year ago some of the things in that book liked to have killed me, but now they seem elementary. William really helped me with the Skype thing, and that helped me break a couple bad habits. For me, bad habits have been the biggest barrier.

Last edited by Daniel Policarpo on 4 Sep 2014 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 4:59 am    

I agree Daniel. William's lessons have made it all make more sense. All the grips you work on doing the fills and intros (not to mention the project songs) really helps with muscle memory. One of the things I've noticed is how you can incorporate new patterns into some of the songs from Winston's book for a fuller sound that wasn't there before.

George

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 8:56 am    

George Buechley wrote:
One of the things I've noticed is how you can incorporate new patterns into some of the songs from Winston's book for a fuller sound that wasn't there before.

Exactly, George. One of the benefits of the recent chord study has been familiarizing ourselves with these patterns and positions, and now being able to apply them. Figuring stuff out, I usually refer to Lloyd Green's advice to learn each lick or phrase or chord in three different positions to spark stronger understanding of the neck, not to mention the tonal nuances that go with those positions. Consciously heeding that tip is helping me realize some sort of style, and that we got to concentrate on that the last few weeks has been great.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2014 9:08 am    

I've heard rumors that William's thinking about hosting another "Steelinar".

Darrell Gill

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:06 pm    

William .. I'm getting better every day.. thanks so so much.. would not have learned with out your help.... and my wife says thank you also ... she has noticed a vast improvement.... thank you for your kindness.. good job.

Darrell Gill

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 12:06 pm    

William .. I'm getting better every day.. thanks so so much.. would not have learned with out your help.... and my wife says thank you also ... she has noticed a vast improvement.... thank you for your kindness.. good job.