The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  average shipping price for a PSG
Dale Kath

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 5:48 am    

Is there an average shipping price for a PSG to the lower 48? I am getting ready to sell my SD8 and trying to estimate shipping costs. The case is standard, wooden.
thanks
Dale
Epiphone viola bass

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 6:28 am    

The big three all charge by a matrix of weight X distance. The farther it goes, the more it costs. The more it weighs, the more it costs.
And before you try to figure out how much it weighs, remember to add bracing inside the case so the guitar won't serve as a battering ram to knock down the bulkhead between guitar and leg compartment.
I cannot emphasize this enough: THERE IS UP TO A 56% CHANCE OF YOUR GUITAR DROPPING TWO AND A HALF FEET TO CONCRETE WHILE TRAVELING AT 10 MPH. This number was me observing the trips made by the carts that transport big and heavy items in FXG package-handling hubs in Jersey and Kansas, and dividing dropped packages by total packages, and multiplying by the number of expected cart trips (drop rates per cart trip range from 3 to 7%, and an IC will take 8 cart trips).
Any item can be packaged to withstand nearly any shock, if braced and cushioned to withstand expected loads and impacts.
BUT, packaging a steel to withstand those shocks will add weight and complexity.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 6:28 am    

Without knowing the origin, the destination, the weight, and dimensions of the steel guitar in question, it's impossible to guess.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 6:49 am    

For FedEx:
https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en&locId=express

For UPS:
https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US&WT.svl=PNRO_L1

For USPS:
http://postcalc.usps.com/

I second Lane, proper packaging is MOST IMPORTANT! You might want to consider USP's or FedEx's packaging service. Tends to help if you have a claim.

If there is any way you can meet the other party halfway, instead of shipping, I would do it...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 7:03 am    

Scott, for a PSG, I would NOT trust UPS Store/Kinko's to package it. They are uniformly unaware of the likelihood of cart drops, and think that peanuts and large-bubble bubblewrap are the solution. I might let them build the box around the case, but they should NOT be trusted to brace internal contents.
Having them package it may smooth payment of claims, but I have ZERO confidence of them preventing damage

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 7:33 am    

In general, figure $50-$80- depending on dimensional weight (length x width x height/166) and distance unless the seller has a 3rd party shipper pack and insure it and then it's about twice that. I generally use the latter due to the fact that about a third of guitars that are shipped to me are damaged in some way. If you have a third party do the packing and insuring then both the person doing the selling and the person at the receiving end are off the hook if/when there is a problem. Also doing it this way I have never had a problem in several hundred shipments. One of the reasons that the cost is higher for a third party shipper to do it is that the guitar is packed in the dreaded Styrofoam peanuts markedly increasing the dimensional weight.

Jim Myers

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 7:48 am     Shipping

I recently sent a Fender Bass VI, without a case, it weighed 10 lbs. from Washington to Alabama through UPS, they packed it, without a case it weighed 10 lbs. and insured for $4000. It cost about $280.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 8:07 am    

Shipped one D-10 Mullen from Washington state to, and received one from Texas, via Fedex...cost me 105 bucks to ship...and the one I received must have been dropped on the end as the case and box were creased in the same spot...thankfully that did not transfer into the case...and that was with a hole cut on the top of the box for the handle.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 8:12 am    

Dale,
There's lots of tips on here about how to pack a steel. Greg Cutshaw also has some great info on his site.

As for costs, watch out for UPS's formula for an oversize box, which is based on what they call "dimensional weight." If you go over that limit, costs go up dramatically. If you have a UPS store or other third party pack and ship it, you "may" be off the hook for any damages, but it still may not get done right and it may still get damaged and you may still get stuck in the middle of a nasty mess.

If you open your own UPS account (free) you can control more of the costs and play around online with various factors as you plan the shipment.

Bottom line: I've shipped 3 steels to destinations as close as the neighboring state to clear across the country. With the overpacking that I do, they all ran between $100 and $125, not including materials, and they all survived the trip. That's probably a higher than average number but I didn't skimp on anything. All were double bodied steels (D10/SD10).

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 9:16 am    

Count around $100.00

Dale Kath

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 9:40 am     average shipping cost

Thank you all, I plan on having UPS box it up and ship and add insurance. From what I have garnered (and I don't often garner) it looks around 100 to 150 to get it properly to its destination. (Unknown at this point) A PSG in its case is a big item, but, sheesh, not THAT big. Last time I shipped, they were perplexed, at first. I will make sure all the proper padding is put in to protect it for the eventual "drops.) We have all seen the "unfortunate" UPS and FedEx delivery disasters.

*hopefully the new owner is able to drive for pickup like I did yesterday, a 3 and1/2 hour drive to pickup my SD Carter! Worth it!
Epiphone viola bass

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 9:51 am    

Dale, I'd say the #1 most important step is the blocks to hold the bulkhead between guitar and leg compartment. Block between the bulkhead and the front (laying down/Top when handle up) of case.
I would say "Good luck", but I believe (and my buddy who works in QA at FXG hub in Hagerstown Md. agrees) that if you properly prepare, luck isn't needed.
And basically packages bigger than a suitcase (but it varies, but I don't know the algorithm to decide) and more than about 35 lbs don't ride the conveyor belts, but take the carts. They don't need to be REALLY big to become ICs

Dale Kath

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 9:55 am     average shipping cost

Thanks for info Lane, I will properly secure the legs and rods in the case before I give it to UPS for packaging and shipping. It will be so tight inside there won't be room for a mosquito!
Epiphone viola bass

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2014 10:25 am    

Dale, another thought...If it's only a 4 hr drive, could you spend the money on fuel instead...I cringe at the UPS thing!

Dale Kath

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 12:12 pm     Average shipping

Larry, local pickup is got to be the best way to go. I've heard of players traveling 4, 5 hours to avoid shipping. But if someone from Detroit wants a PSG from Teaxas, what can you do?! Pad, more padding, insure, and cross your fingers!
Epiphone viola bass

Peter Huggins

Van Nuys, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 1:07 pm    

Just got back from the UPS customer center.
We shipped a Mesa Boogie amp, in a rack case, packed tightly inside a box with lots of bubble wrap. Van Nuys to Colorado, standard shipping, 79 lbs. $900 in insurance. total $82.15
This was the cheapest way, the high rate was $265. It wasn't a PSG, but I'm posting this just to compare weights & costs.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 1:53 pm    

Just from curiosity, did you put blocks from edges of the amp to the walls of the amp? I'm not sure I'd trust the ears of the amp to stay put in a drop (after all, my Super Twin Reverb had its chassis bent at the mounting screws nearest the tranny).

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 3:09 pm    

Dale, you can get a pretty accurate shipping quote from the shipper pages liked above. Just pack the guitar up, pack it well, measure and weigh it, then get the quote. If you don't know the actual size and weight of the package and it's destination, it's all guesswork. I've shipped a number of steel guitars, I usually covered the case with a layer of 1" styrofoam, then cardboard, cut to fit the foam layer. Lots of tape, and sometimes I've used "liquid nails" adhesive to anchor the cardboard to the foam. And leave the handle exposed, and identify it. I write "lift by handle" on both sides with an arrow pointed to the handle. Every guitar I've shipped, including one to England, arrived without damage.

Dale Kath

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 4:18 pm     average shipping

Bill, where did you get the styro and cardboard from, Home Depot? that sounds like a good way to go, especially exposing the handle.
Epiphone viola bass

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 6:17 pm    

You can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's. There is an insulation distributor in Adrian, that's where I usually buy it. It comes in 4x8 sheets. Just use a sharp utility knife to cut part way through, then bend a little to snap in two. One sheet is more that enough to pack a guitar. It's not very expensive. You can get used cardboard boxes from local stores, just ask for them.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 6:23 pm    

If you can work out the logistics, a good old Greyhound bus is a pretty darn safe way to ship a guitar.

Dale Kath

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 4:43 am     average shipping cost

Thanks for info Bill, you may have saved me $$$ in packaging costs!
Epiphone viola bass