The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Footware
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 1:17 pm    

I've been playing PSG for only three or four months and I'm having a heck of a time learning to hit one pedal at a time. I have a sixtes ShoBud with wide pedals. Do I need to go out and get a pair of cowboy boots in order to play this instrument. The question might sound funny, but I am completely serious in asking.

MW

Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 1:31 pm    

not odd at all. I am fairly new, and I remember when I very first started, I HAD to wear the EXACT same shoes every time I practiced etc. in order to only hit one pedal at a time (MSA Classic-- wide pedals, couple that with having to wear wide width shoes.).

I don't know if this is proper form or not, but I tend to hit single pedals with the sides of my foot, and am able to 'rock' on to other pedals etc. I also found body position ( I was too 'centered' on the steel, and after noticing Ricky Davis's video and him stating to center around the 15th fret, the pedals seemed to fall in place better etc.

I've also been finding that the longer I play, the less critical I am as far as footwear (I can wear just about any shoe I have, as well as play barefoot).

I think things will come to you in time, but Pleaxe more experienced players jump in here for any other advise ( I can use any I can get for ANY aspect of my playing!)

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 1:54 pm    

I play with a loafer type shoe. I like to wear boots but they don't afford as much flexibility of the ankle and don't work as well.
Erv

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 2:20 pm    

I've always worn "cowboy" boots. Specifically those with an undershot heel. it makes the pivoting from pedal to pedal a little easier. I don't think the point is especially helpful, but they've always worked well for me after the initial break in for ankle flexibility.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 2:38 pm    

sneakers

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 2:45 pm    

Deck shoes. No stylish, but $6 a pair at Walmart. You can feel the pedals through them.

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 3:00 pm    

I play at home with my sneekers and if I go to one of the Mid Atlantic Shows I play with my boots on.I seen this Woman Deloris and she plays bare footed.Ouch and it is a Emmons about a 1966.
Sam White

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 5:14 pm    

Nike`s,"just do it" even if it`s out of tune

------------------

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 8:24 pm    

Sneakers, as long as they have a reasonably smooth sole. Or deck shoes, or Rockport-type shoes. I used to play in cowboy boots, but I got kind of cowboyed out. I like to feel the pedals a bit, but I can't play comfortably in socks like Dan Tyack does.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 8:58 pm    

I wear soft soled moccasins. The have all the flexability of playing barefoot, yet provide enough cushion to eliminate any discomfort from the pedals.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 10:28 pm    

I play in boots. I live in Texas, and performers have a dress code down here.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 11:23 pm    

If I happen to be performing (which is very rare) I take off my left shoe before I play steel. If I can't see what pedal I'm tromping on I like to at least feel it under my foot.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 5:24 am    

Herb is so right....it's called "The Code of the West!" www.genejones.com

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 6:05 am    

I'm with Gino on this one. When I started out I HAD to wear boots all the time because anything with a lower heel (tennis shoes etc) would cause my leg to cramp along the shin. Now I can play in just about anything or even barefoot. My favorite footwear being an old worn out, beat up almost ready for the trash pair of J. Chisolm cowboy boots. They've got a hole in the side, but, they're the most comfortable pair of boots I have. Even though I'm not from Texas, I wear boots every time I play out, except for the occasional outdoor "too hot for jeans and boots" gig. Then it's tennis shoes. My advice would be this, do whatever works for you. Before you go out and spend any money on boots, a cheaper solution may be to adjust the pedal height so that your foot is at a lower, more comfortable angle thus allowing you to clear the pedals easier.

My .02ยข

David

[This message was edited by David Mullis on 27 January 2003 at 06:09 AM.]

Tom Hodgin

greensboro, n.c. u.s.a.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 9:41 am    

Skin boots for the show..very flexable.. I practice in deck shoes..not just any pair..for being a fisherman I have several pairs, there is only one pair that will work for me..." Pick e ",, sure I'm a steel player..tom

John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 3:08 pm    

Having played in Texas many years, I abided by the dress code Herb speaks of. However, I always thought that a cowboy boot on the left foot and a tennis shoe on the right is just about perfect. The boot's heel gets you up to a nice level for the pedals and the tennis shoe compensates for the volume pedal's height to keep your right knee level with the left. I have actually tried this and it is very comfortable (though not so practical -- especially walking around on breaks).

Generally, I wear oxfords or black, low-cut Converse All-Stars.

John Borchard

Ricky0ne1

West Peoria, IL, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 8:48 pm    

I'm a beginner myself. I wear Sebago moccasins everywhere I go. Nice rubber sole, not too thick, not too thin. I tried them on steel when I first got it. Now I save them for steel.. don't want to wear them out walking around..
Rick Summers

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 9:51 pm    

I guess I was cut from a different mold. I have to have a "certain feel" in my playing footwear. When I first went on the road (that is with a pedal steel), we had to wear boots as part of our uniform. Actually we all had several different pairs of boots to match the several different uniforms we wore. Just about all of them were customed made patent leather boots by M. L. Leddy out of Ft. Worth. That was the thing to do back then and I actually miss that in show business these days.
Anyway, for the last 20 or so years, playing in local bands mostly here in South Texas and with arthritis and stiff ankles taking its' tool, I play in loafers. I say loafers because it's just too darn hard for me to bend my body over enough to comfortably tie a lace up shoe. It's a great chore for me to even get socks on by myself. But not just any loafers. They have to be thin leather soled and pretty much flexible. I've got a closet full of very good and expensive loafer shoes (about 20 pair) that I'd see and think that they would be right for me to play in. But the truth is I have only two pair that have that "just right" feel. Sometimes when we play a job that calls for "strictly western wear", I'll wear my boots except for when I'm playing. I'm even choosey about the "feel" of my socks. If it all doesn't feel right in relation to my feet on the pedals, I may as well hang it up. It really bugs me when it's not right.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 9:58 pm    

High-heeled boots are not a problem with the guitar's pedals, but they really change the angle of your foot on the volume pedal.