The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin Pedal Steel Guitars ??
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 10:26 am    

chris ivey wrote:
i've seen quite a few for sale over the years.
that red one is very plain looking. i always wished they could have had colored fretmarkers at least.
someone posted recently that paul had built 300 steels. that doesn't seem like very many in 30 years or so.

If they built around 300, that would make my JCH even rarer since they only built around 160 of them. I'll take 10,000 for it, LOL

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 10:31 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
If they built around 300, that would make my JCH even rarer since they only built around 160 of them. I'll take 10,000 for it, LOL

Good for you. Now all you need to find is a willing buyer at that price. Please let us know when that happens... Smile

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 10:53 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Henry Matthews wrote:

Good for you. Now all you need to find is a willing buyer at that price. Please let us know when that happens... Smile

Jim, I hope you know I was joshing. The odds on that happening is about the same odds as me giving 10,000 for a Franklin, mighty low. Oh Well

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 10:59 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
Jim Cohen wrote:
Henry Matthews wrote:

Jim, I hope you know I was joshing. The odds on that happening is about the same odds as me giving 10,000 for a Franklin, mighty low. Oh Well

I do know that, Henry, just as I was joshing you back. No harm, no foul.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2015 8:21 am    

I sold D-10 serial #84 a few years ago. Mr. Franklin told me it was built in 1984. It had a very precision feel and sounded great with chrome 705 pickups but it brought more that two times what I was selling D-10 push pulls for at the time so it became worth more to someone else than it was to me. Problem is I spent the cash and the Franklin is long gone. Sad Carlene and I got to spend a couple hours with Paul Sr. and Mrs. Franklin in their home and you would never meet nicer people. Woody Woodell took us for the visit which was a special time for me.
Jerry

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2015 4:15 pm    

I just played #82 this last Sunday, it was one great axe, the C neck was to die for. Hope I do not die before it comes up for sale some time in 2050.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2015 4:50 am    

Probably the best mechanical feeling and best sounding guitars that I have had, though the detuning (hysteresis/cabinet drop was about the most of any guitar I've owned.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2015 8:53 am    

Teddy Carr, former steel player for the band Ricochet played a black 1994 Franklin D-10. It can be seen in several Ricochet music videos like, "Love Is Stronger Than Pride", Ease My Troubled Mind", and "He Left A Lot To Be Desired". Teddy played his 1994 Franklin when I saw Ricochet in concert in 1999, the year before Teddy left the band. Teddy also played the Franklin when Ricochet was on the TNN show Prime Time Country in 1999
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2015 6:28 pm    

The one for $7,500 is thought to be somewhere in the NW and the one for $10,00 is reportedly somewhere in Calif. They all come with a GPS tracker so you can locate them from Google Earth, or not.

Keep an eye out for them, one never knows when one might pop up for sale in a town near you.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Bob Wood

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2015 10:14 pm     Franklin Pedal Steel Guitars?

Gentlemen,

I talked to Paul Sr. myself just a couple of days ago after having another builder telling me that my Stereo D10 Franklin was worth at least $15,000.00 after it was re-finished. Mine has been sitting gathering dust while I have taken a badly needed health hiatus. But, Paul Sr. gave me another price that my guitar as probably worth. BTW, the serial # on mine is 104. Anyway, he quoted me probably somewhere between 25 to 30 grand for it! AS IT SITS!!! As it turns out, my Franklin has turned out to be more of an investment, and will I sell mine? Absolutely not! Not for $7,500 not for $10,000, not for $15,000, and I would have to think long and hard if someone were to offer me 30 thou for it! I trust my builder and if he says that it is worth what he says it is... I believe him! The one thing that I didn't ask him was, and I wonder, if the reason the price is so much for mine... is it because it's a stereo guitar? One, that when I'm doing a session, the engineer can put one end in the board and the other end into my amp for miking. For some reason the engineers really get a kick out of doing that, and they love the sound we get! I haven't seen too many other stereo guitars. Not just Franklin's, but any other brand. Are stereo guitars all that rare? Could it possibly be that that may be Paul Jr.'s secret behind getting such a great tone in his recordings? ('Whoa!') Naw! Haha! ('Laughing') I'm just dreaming! Anyway, gentlemen, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2015 8:53 am    

good luck with that.
i'd sell it before people come to their senses.
specially since it's just sitting gathering dust.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2015 10:22 am     big question

and now i have a question. since franklins seem to be worth 3x what other great steels are, why not do this...
the main difference is the changer, right?
they allow easier and longer raise and lower potential?
so why not make new changers in new steels that have the same basic mechanical advantage?

Bob Wood

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2015 7:14 pm     No longer gathering dust!

Chris,

No, my Franklin is no longer going to be gathering dust. I had some health issues that kept me from getting out to play, and cost me some playing time, but those issues are now going away and I've been dusting it off and getting it ready to find a new working band in the new area of California that I've moved to! I've already talked to some bands and when they found out that a new sheriff has moved into the area (haha!), wanted a steel guitar for their band sound (of course, how can they be a country band if they don't have a steel guitar in it!). To be honest with you Chris, I don't know what it is that makes it such a unique machine, all I know is that it is and I love not only the way it plays but I love the way it sounds! Mr. Franklin Sr. sure knew what he was doing when he made mine and I'm glad he did! I'm also glad he honored me with one of his homemade children though, and I don't plan on giving his secrets away. Besides I would need another one to play and I'll never be able to buy another Franklin even if I tried. So.... I'll just keep the one I already own, and wait until the price of them hits 100 grand (haha!)! Of course I buy Lottery tickets twice a week and keep hoping that I'll hit the big one too, but so far, nothing! But, I'm sure that one day I'll be one of the big winners!! Haha! I'm also sure that someone will eventually discover what the big secret is about the Franklins, or figure out a way to get a steel guitar to play by itself, and sound like Paul Jr. at the same time! If they do that then, Oh well, I've lost my investment! Too bad for me!

Bob Wood

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2015 11:20 pm     GPS tracker on my Franklin

Ha! Larry,

I got into the bottom of my Franklin, finally it was so heavy. I had my neighbor help me turn it upside down and into the case finally! Found the GPS tracker and turned it off so I don't think they will be able to track my California Franklin anymore especially now that I plan on getting out and doing some playing on it again! Whew! Found out that it did have one, thanks to your post! Glad you informed me! Sure didn't want that to happen! Hehe! Thanks again!

Bob

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2015 5:04 am     Re: big question

chris ivey wrote:
and now i have a question. since franklins seem to be worth 3x what other great steels are, why not do this...
the main difference is the changer, right?
they allow easier and longer raise and lower potential?
so why not make new changers in new steels that have the same basic mechanical advantage?

I wonder which one of today's all-pull PSGs that cannot emulate Paul's 6th string G# lower to E with a bit of fine-tuning. Much lower than that and the string loses its tone anyway, so no advantage in going much further down. I see nothing special "mechanically" for the other changes in that copedent.

I think you'll have to look elsewhere for justification of a used Franklin's high price value, and they are probably worth every cent someone is willing to pay for one. I wouldn't know... Very Happy

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2015 10:17 pm    

I have owned 3 Franklins and played many others. The issue is not so much the changer with Franklins. It's the sum of the parts. Everything works together on a Franklin to create a very focused yet rich/ complex sound. They have a very particular tonal quality that no other guitar has. If you want that sound the only way to get it is if you play a Franklin.

The only single body, single neck Franklin I have played that had the sound was a U12 Paul built for me where he had to double up the weird Italian laminate I ordered for it.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 1:22 pm    

I think it's great and wonderful that all these Franklin players hear things in a Franklin that they don't in other guitars. But I think the same can be said for those that play other brands of guitars and say the same thing. There are too many great builders and great guitars. I think if Paul Sr was building a guitar like a Zum or a Mullen or other top brands,you guys would still be saying the same thing about a Franklin. I still say 50 percent of the reason Franklins cost what they do is actually the guitar itself, the other 50 percent is paying for the name and the fact of not many of them were built, otherwise, I should've gotten twelve grand for my JCH I sold about 4 years ago. There's no one on this earth that was more anal at building steel guitars as Jimmy Crawford. I think Paul Sr is missing the boat and needs to have someone build Franklins for him. It would still be his guitar and his design being built. If I knew I had a product worth this much, I would be finding a way to keep it going.