The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C Pedal moving my F lever
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 9:09 am    

On my Sho~Bud Pro I, when I push down the C pedal the F lever moves and then changes the pitch of the E's a little bit. Also when I use the F lever it moves the 4th and 5th strings just a tiny bit. It is enough to notice the tuning issue. I have checked out the changer and I have also looked at all the rods and nothing seems to be binding up on me.

Any suggestions? Anyone else ever come across this?

Thanks!
Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 9:19 am    

It has to be one of your 4th string raise rods binding on the puller of the other to cause this. Unhook them one at a time and move it by hand and you should be able to tell where the bind is.

Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 10:58 am    

Jim,

I am sorry if this sounds dumb, but I have never taken off any of the springs on the changer before. Are they difficult to get back on? I have only been playing for about 4 years and have never run into any mechanical problems before.

Here is another issue I noticed. I had a Marrs changer put on the guitar. They left the extra springs attached to the changer. I guess incase I ever wanted more pull's I could hook them up. Is it OK to remove them? I think that one of the extra springs on the changer might be causing the problem, but I am really not sure.

Thanks!
Mark

------------------

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 11:13 am    

I think your problem is in the raise rods, not in the springs. The only connections between the C pedal and the F knee lever are the raise rods for the 4th string. Somehow when you activate one, the 4th string rod is activating the other 4th string rod and pulling it (and the other string pull) slightly.

BTW, the extra springs are called raise helper springs, designed to make the raises easier.

Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 11:34 am    

Jim,

But the extra springs are only attached on one end. They just hang down. I assume I should remove them? Or should I attach them?

Mark

------------------

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 11:54 am    

I've never played a guitar with raise springs, but I'd say if you're happy with the feel of your raises, remove them. If your raises feel too stiff, hook them back up.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2003 7:32 am    

Mark, I am basing this on your PRO I being a rack system like the Professionals. A single rod for each string with brass spring collars for the raise and lower stops for each rod.

If this is not what you have then this note
will self destruct after you read it , Mr Phelps.

If it is read on...

I would loosen the collars on each of the string rods for the C pedal and F lever and start over with the collar adjustments. My former Professional had similar issues from time to time and I believe it was due to some adjustments made with no slack or even possibly the brass spring collars being dirty or gritty , thus when a lever or pedal is activated it may have had a slight impact on other strings .

When you remove the individual collars , clean and oil them a tad, and turn them to the mid point position before re-installing.

To take it a step further, if this is the issue and resolves it, I would remove all of the collars , clean and lube them, set them to mid point and re-install and re-adjust all the raises and lowers on the guitar.

I did do this with my D10 Professional and it really did make a vast improvement on the pedal and knee action.

just a thought.

tp